The killer features
- FULL JOOMLA! ACL & MULTILINGUAL SUPPORT
- Streamlined administrator interface
- Rich subscription levels (subscription packages) editor which allows you to choose different images for each of your subscriptions and even a different order confirmation and order cancellation text to show to your users.
- The easiest subscription management interface you've seen on a component. It will even show you your users' faces, powered by Gravatar.
- Users can upgrade or expand (renew) their subscriptions. Renewing a subscription will create a new subscription which becomes valid the very second their old one expires. Users do not lose any of their subscription time when renewing, unlike most other subscription systems out there.
- Discount coupon codes which allow you to set an absolute money value or percentage discount for all or a specific subscription level and user, have publish up/publish down dates or a usage limit (e.g. the coupon code is valid only for the first 100 people to use it) – or a combination of any and all of the above!
- Automatic discounts for upgrading or renewing subscriptions based on the subscription level and days of presence in the subscription package. This allows you to easily create rules like: 30% discount if you renew up to 30 days before the end of your subscription, 15% discount if you renew within the last 30 days, no discount otherwise.
- Full support for complex tax calculations based on country, state and ZIP code. It fully integrates with the European Union's VIES system so that you can charge no VAT tax for intra-EU B2B transactions.
- Send emails to subscribers upon subscription, when their subscription/payment status changes and when their subscription is about to expire
Note: The component is now distributed free of charge. No support is provided for it, free or paid.
Support is also great and VERY helpful. A bug here and there when using templates from certain template companies, but can be overcome with a bit of CSS editing.
Well done Mr Dionysopoulos - great product and I'm sure we will see this little gem get more advanced
It took me a little bit of time to understand how to make it work at first as there are lots of plug-ins (that come directly with the main component, this is not stuff you need to install separately) for each one of the components I'm using it with - for example there is a plug-in to match up an Akeeba subscription with a Community Builder group and so on. But once you've understood how this works (and the documentation is fairly complete)... It is really efficient! I now get my subscriptions automatically activated after a successful PayPal payment, the users are added to the right groups in CB and the forum, when a subscription expires those privileges are cancelled... It's all automatic.
I've been able to find all the info I needed all by myself, except maybe for one: there is an integrated affiliates system, granted it's quite simple but it can be enough for small sites (my case), only I still can't figure out, in the case of recurring payments, if the affiliates get just a one-time commission or if the commissions are recurring too. Apart from that, I am fully happy with this component.
Your question is valid. The very simple affiliate system predates the recurring payments and was never really tested with it. That said, the intended behaviour is for the affiliate system to give a commission on each payment. As a result it should give a commission each time a recurring payment occurs.
"Install Component Success"
Then when I go to the Akeeba component which is visible in the Joomla Components Menu I get...
"Incomplete installation detected
Akeeba Subscriptions can not load because an incomplete installation was detected. In order to fix this problem, please follow these steps:
Download Akeeba Subscriptions' installation ZIP package from our Downloads page.
Go to Extensions > Manage , click on "Browse...", find the ZIP file you downloaded and double click on it.
Click on "Upload & Install"
This will install all of the missing files while preserving your existing settings and subscriptions."
So, I am sent around in circles and it never installs, not even manually either.
So Akeeba looses a customer since I have to go elsewhere. This is your product Akeeba, not mine... it is for you to get working.
So I have marked this as "Very Poor" because that is what it is!
This is caused by incorrect permissions of your site's libraries directories. So, no, it's not a problem on our end. It's a problem of your site configuration. Hint: when you install the component, the post-installation page reads "Framework on Framework: NOT INSTALLED" with "NOT INSTALLED" in bold, red letters. Don't shoot the developer when it's the webmaster who does not understand how to do his part. Just saying.
I totally recommend both the product and it's support!
I recently had a requirement to develop a subscription-based site (also a first) and picked one of the first ones I saw in the list with decent reviews and that didn't cost too much. I won't say which one. I had a small question and posted a message to their forums last week and I still haven't gotten a response.
Yesterday, I realized that it wasn't going to be flexible enough for my needs so I started looking for another one and found Akeeba Subscriptions. Once again, I had a small question and sent an email to the Developer. I ran to the store down the street for a few things and by the time I got back, there was the answer I needed in my inbox, on a Sunday!
The component is very flexible, easy to implement and offers a great deal of customization and different options for payment gateways, and it's free! I couldn't be happier. My only regret is not researching more and wasting the money on the other component.
Thanks again and keep up the great work!
Anyhoo, I would like to request a few additional features. One is to extend the 'import data' to cover my old subs component. That would be very appreciated. If not, is there a way to manually recreate the subscribers by importing from Joomla users database? I know I still have to read the nice PDF manual that came with Akeeba Subs.
Another is that, although the separated 'trial' subscription may be good for someone's site, I think my site would be better with an integrated trial, then to the fully paid version. Can this be included as an option? My old creaky subs component worked this way so I know Paypal can be configured that way.
Hi Rick and thank you for your review!
I would be interested in creating an import feature from your old subscription system. I just need a database dump of its tables so that I can figure out how to do that. Please use the Contact Us link on our site (it's at the bottom of the page) to send me an email.
Regarding trial subscriptions it is possible, but not in the automatic-charge-after-the-trial-expires kind of way. You can create "trial" subscription levels with a price of 0, checking the "Forbid renewal" checkbox. This creates a free (trial) subscription level which can be used only once per user. This idea was actually proposed in another review on this site and implemented since a couple of versions ago :)
Nicholas helps you more quickly and professionally if there are problems.
Of course, we would like more features for affiliates, but remember that this component is free ;-)
Thank you for your review! Our developer is already working on an integration with a third party affiliate management service which has much more features than we could even implement in this lifetime. The next version will have this built in, helping you create an affiliate network easily and affordably :)
If you are searching a Subscription Component in Joomla, then your search ends here. And it's free and comes with a documentation, I've never seen before. It's just perfect.
I recommend this product, like all extensions coming from Nicholas! He is just a genius.
I tried Akeeba Subscriptions hoping it would be an answer for what should be a relatively easy project.
1. Installation was easy and direct.
2. Easy to create subscription levels
3. I like the idea of the auto subscription notifications you can configure.
1. I set up a Paypal sandbox account for testing. I could run through a few test subscriptions but after Paypal confirmed the payment, the account would not automatically activate. I don't know if this is normal in test mode or not.
2. If one of the test payments went through, I'd try another test for another level and noticed the form data was still there from the last submittal. My browser is set to clear everything and not save form data so I don't think it was my browser. Also, I have my template set to not cache pages.
3. I would go back to make a configuration change to one of the subscription levels and when I went to save the changes I got a fatal error message. After that, I could no longer submit any payments to the test account.
I'm sure there are explanations for all these but you must pay for any support as Akeeba does not have a free forum. That is not a criticism, that's just the way they do business.
I think I would rather they charge for their component and then I would not have used up so much time trying to make this work.
Regarding your points:
1. There are certainly issues with PayPal's Sandbox. I know that. You have to use a penny value of .00 for the transaction to go through. There's however an easy workaround: use the live account, create a subscription with a value of $1.00 and buy it.
2. The form data is saved in the user session and auto-filled from the user's profile. Think about a user who wants to buy two or three subscriptions to different levels on the same day. Would you really want them to retype the same information each time they visited your site? Or retype all that info when all he needs is renew his subscription? I don't understand how something which increases your conversion rate is a bug?!
3. You are the first and only person to have (semi-)reported that. Unfortunately I can't provide support over the comments here, especially since I would have to guess version numbers, trigger conditions etc. Also note that bug reports are FREE. All you have to do is use our Contact Us page – which you obviously did not do. I will say it again: a bug unreported is a bug never fixed. I don't put bugs in my software intentionally and I certainly cannot fix a bug that's not been reported and I cannot reproduce.
>> I think I would rather they charge for their component and then I would not have used up so much time trying to make this work.
I fail to understand the logic behind that. Let's say we asked for 100$ for the component. It would be the same component you now get for free. You'd have the same problems. The only difference is that you'd have support. You can have support for 8 days for 7.79 EUR or for 365 days for 85 EUR (which also includes access to *all* of our software). So, if it makes you feel better to actually spend money rather than get the software for free why didn't you just subscribe to our 85EUR AKEEBADELUXE level?
The documentation is excellent.
You have to pay a small fee for technical support, but if you follow the manual closely you should not need support at all as it is an excellent component.
This is actually semi-possible. You can have a free subscription and flag it as "Forbid Renewals". This will allow your clients to participate in a free trial. Once their trial is over, they will only have the option to buy one of your paid subscriptions. In our opinion, this is more user-friendly in the event your client decides not to buy your service than having to go to PayPal and cancel his subscription.
The configuration is very simple, but powerfull.
- create different subscription types
- offer a lot of payment gateways to your customers
- taxes can be determined fine-grained
- define fine-grained discount codes (all subscriptions, only defined subscriptions, for all users, for defined users, percent discount, fixed discount, allowed period, how often it can be used and so on ...)
This component is very effective, easy to use and powerfull. It works right out of the box with only a few configuration "clicks". And it's free.
I can't tell something about the support, because I didn't needed it until now. All issues could be solved with the very detailled manual (also available for free).
It's simply "perfect" and if used together with Joomla 2.5 native ACL allows you to manage any subscriptions in a manner simple and effective.
It deserves 5 stars even if it was paid, but it's absolutely free.
God bless you!
We are currently testing and evaluating the Akeeba Subs extension for our site upgrade and we consider it as the best option so far. Don't be tricked - it's not an easy extension. Well, not really hard one, but definitively not easy. If you are used to setup something with click here and there, you might get lost. However, if you really want to build a web site, that offers subscriptions and you can't manage with Akeeba Subs, the problem is within you. I mean that you probably simply don't know what you are doing.
The real pros of this extension is its great flexibility, enormous power and endless integration with the most popular extensions out there. In combination with Akeeba Release System, it is incredible tool to sell subscriptions, download access and so on.
There are cons, which can be ignored, but be prepared anyway. Nikolas is far from being good designer, so the UI may look a bit blurry. Anyway, he has coded the interface in the proper way, so any designer could just overwrite the CSS. If our final decision is to go with Akeeba Subs for our new website version, we will donate the extension design for our own web site to Akeeba Subs.
The only downside for me is the registration that doesnt collect the user phone number on registration. and isnt possible to turn off. so even if you have another regsitration form, users can always use akeeba registration when they purchase.