* Capability to create more than one sitemap with different preferences for each sitemap.
* Generation of XML sitemaps compatible with Google, Yahoo, Bing and others.
* Cache system to allow a fastest sitemap generation. Ideally for large or high traffic sites. You can enable or disable this feature independently for each sitemap.
* Exclude easily any menu item from your site map directly from the frontend
* Option to compress the XML sitemap
* Better presentation of the XML sitemap on browsers.
* Compatibility with Joomla 1.5, Joomla 1.6 and Joomla 1.7
* You can specify the priority and change frequency params for each menu and now for every item in your site map.
* You can change the priority and change frequency for every item in your sitemap.
* Shows some statistical information for each sitemap:
o Las visit date.
o Number of links generated on the last visit.
o Number of visits.
* There is available a lot of plugins for the most popular components: Zoom, DOCman, VirtueMart, Fireboard, SMF, Hot Property, SOBI2, Mosets Tree, MyBlog, RSG and many others.
* Customization for each extension
The XML sitemap worls well, but the html sitemap has a mind of it's own.
Currently my html sitemap is correct excep for one menu item, for which it obstinately refuses to expand and show the article links. This category/menu has exactluy the same setting as the other ones, but it won't expand.
Sadly I'll have to go look for another extension. One that expands ALL categories.
Pity about the bad transition to 2.5, xmap for 1.5 was much more solid.
Automatic sitemaps are great and having a great extension to do it makes my life even easier.
Thanks so much for coding and sharing Xmap with us! And for maintaining its updates up to and throughout 2.5's release! :)
I like particularly that more than one sitemap is possible and that each can be assigned different permissions. This allows a simpler cut-down sitemap for non-registered users whilst a second sitemap provides all the links for all registered content.
I was a bit worried that if a page includes a category list this (together with all it elements - articles - etc.) is included in the sitemap. This extendss greatly the length of the sitemap and just complicates matters. However, the developer's notes do indicate there are levels of configurabilty that I hadn't spotted. A little digging revealed the extensions tab - and the content plugin. With Expand categories set to "Never", only the menu link is showed and repetition of content is avoided.
Documentation could be fuller.
Fine control over layout is restricted: a very large menu translates into a very long list that does not break over columns.
Other than that, top marks to the developer for an extension that installs easily (great for new Joomla! users) and works well.
Make sure you do get XMAP installed as Google then crawls your website faster than it would without it. As this helps the SEO for your site and helps the pages get indexed so much quicker.
I can see why the developer is not addressing the issues as it is a non-commercial version.
Saying that.. I would pay for a pro version if it worked on all platforms. It works flawlessly on 3.0 and 2.5 but 1.7 it crashes every time on every template. This is a real shame as 50% of my 200 client sites do not have XMAP and if it worked multi platform I would happily send a BEER keg. :-)
Thanks for this version, but please move forward with it as it could easily become one of the finest core joomla components built.
Super plugin and component.
I am not an IT guy, but i have been developing sites from the beginning of WWW and I' am very happy using it.
It is simple to install and configure and has all my site map needs covered. For me it is one of those "install and forget about it" extensions, which is something great for the kind of work I do.