- Extension bridges to a commercial service.
On the other hand, if you have a list of only approved countries, states / provinces, regions, zip codes / postal codes, and/or area codes, you may enter those to specifically allow only those areas and block all other areas.
- Block (or explicitly allow) access to the entire site or specified areas of the website (by entering a list of URLs)
- Enter any combination of countries, states / provinces, regions, zip codes / postal codes, and/or area codes
- Exclude IP addresses or range of IP addresses from being blocked using comma separated values, dash separated ranges, CIDR ranges, and wildcards
- External server look-ups mean you get the most up-to-date information without any manual updating or subscription fees
- By default, the plugin uses an external server to look-up geographic IP address location data which is updated once a month. The database is over 99.5% accurate on a country level and 79% accurate on a city level for the US within a 25 mile radius. This requires that your web server supports cURL on port 80 (most web servers do). The plugin also gives you the option of manually downloading the geographic IP location database periodically and uploading to your own server. However, the external server look-up is very fast, very accurate, and is adequate for most users.
- Works with CloudFlare
The plugin has been programmed and tested with Joomla 1.5, 1.6, 1.7 and 2.5. Feel free to test in other versions of Joomla and report back to us so we can update our information. If you have problems with the plugin in other versions of Joomla and would like us to update the plugin for your version of Joomla, contact us.
Optional access to the external server which looks up the geographic IP address location data requires a monthly payment of $5 per month (or $48 per year) per domain to cover bandwidth and server resources. If you choose to run the plugin using the local server option, you will need to obtain a copy of the GeoIP database (paid and free versions available) from MaxMind and periodically manually update it yourself.
The plugin works as advertised and the settings are clearly labelled. More than worth the cost.
There was a small error in the how to manual about the upload dir for the .dat files of maxmind. Note that it is /plugins/system/GeoBlocker/GeoBlocker/lib
Enjoy this plugin!!
Thank you for your review! We would like to bring to your attention that as of version 1.2, you can explicitly allow or block IP addresses or ranges of IP addresses.
Also, we fixed the bug in regards to the location of the MaxMind .dat file upload. As of version 1.4, it should indeed be placed in: /plugins/system/GeoBlocker/lib (as the manual also specifies).