Akeeba Backup has won the prestigious Administrator Only Extension J.O.S.C.A.R. Award at J and Beyond 2010. Download it for free to find out why.
Joomla! 2.5/3.0 only. We have older versions for Joomla! 1.5/1.6/1.7 on our site.
- It configures itself for optimal operation with your site. Just click on Configuration Wizard.
- One click backup.
- AJAX powered backup (site and database, database only, files only or incremental files only backup)
- The fastest native PHP backup engine.
- Choose between standard ZIP or highly efficient JPA archive format
- able to exclude specific files, folders
- able to exclude specific database tables or their contents
- Unattended backup mode (CRON job scheduling), fully compatible with Webcron.org
- Backup using any cellphone made after 2007 with a web browser using our exclusive "Lite Mode" (including the cheapest Nokia and Sony Ericsson models!)
- AJAX powered site restoration
- "Kickstart" restore: restore without unpacking backup
- Move your site between hosts without downloading/uploading anything (using the DirectFTP backup engine)
- Archives can be restored on any host. Useful for transferring your site between subdomains/hosts or even to/from your local testing server (XAMPP, WAMPServer, MAMP, Zend Server, etc).
and much much more!
Do not miss out the complimentary companion desktop software (Akeeba SiteDiff and Akeeba eXtract Wizard) which are available free of charge from our site. They make working with Akeeba Backup a breeze.
Note: The software is free of charge, its support is not. You need a valid subscription (starting at EUR 7.79) to request support. However, its documentation, the troubleshooting wizard and searching the forum is free.
*** IF YOU CAN'T FIND HOW TO ENABLE A FEATURE LISTED HERE, PLEASE READ THE (FREE) DOCUMENTATION! ***
One lesson I learned is that, when I'm experiencing a problem with Akeeba Backup, the first thing I should do is to read the documentation. I can't remember a problem I couldn't fix using the manual - and if it couldn't be "fixed" the reason of the problem was found in the very same manual.
While Akeeba Backup Core suffices for 99% of our sites, both me and the company own a subscription to Akeeba Deluxe. The extra features are totally worth it. I love being able to back-up to Dropbox as it's the cheapest (free) way for me to make back-up to the clouds.
And the support, well it's just stellar. On the rare occasion there was a problem I couldn't fix, I submitted a ticked and the developer took the time to look at the problem, and indicated the hosting related problem - only 3 hours after submitting the ticket!
Conclusion: if you use joomla! for a site, you'll want to - nay, need to install this component!
It's just the best extension I ever used. I am developing my sites on a local server (JAMP)and you cannot imagine how easy to transfer my site from the local server to the live server.
Only one thing which could be a bit better; the design. I mean, it is not so important but the design, especially kickstart, is quite ugly :(
Thank you for your review! Well, I never claimed to be a decent web designer; I am just a PHP developer. If you have a good proposal for improving the layout of Kickstart and the Akeeba Backup Installer (without significantly increasing the file size and without using images) please feel free to contact me. I am always open to suggestions for improvement!
It states it is free, but some of the listed features are only available in a paid version.
Unfortunately this has made it less usable for my needs. Sad.
All of the advertised features are available in the free of charge version (Akeeba Backup Core) except for the send-to-email feature which I forgot to remove from this listing and I sincerely apologise for that. I will promptly remove it. Everything else listed above is in the free version. If you can't find it, please read the documentation which is available free of charge on our site, watch our video tutorials (free of charge, of course!!) or search for free of charge third party tutorials, in writing or video. That said, please note that we have a free of charge section on our forum dedicated to pre-sales questions and reporting issues, as well as a free of charge contact page. So, I don't really get why you downrated the software if the only feature not available is sending backups to email, a feature which was removed because it was impractical (backups over 1Mb –that is ALL backups!– not split in 1Mb segments as per the documentation instructions, which nobody read, would cause a timeout or memory exhaustion error).