Akeeba Backup has won the prestigious Administrator Only Extension J.O.S.C.A.R. Award at J and Beyond 2010. Download it for free to find out why.
Latest Joomla! 2.5/3.x only. We have older versions for past Joomla! 1.5/1.6/1.7/2.5/3.x versions on our site.
- It configures itself for optimal operation with your site. Just click on Configuration Wizard.
- One click backup.
- AJAX powered backup (site and database, database only, files only or incremental files only backup)
- The fastest native PHP backup engine.
- Choose between standard ZIP or highly efficient JPA archive format
- able to exclude specific files, folders
- able to exclude specific database tables or their contents
- Unattended backup mode (CRON job scheduling), fully compatible with Webcron.org
- Backup using any cellphone made after 2007 with a web browser using our exclusive "Lite Mode" (including the cheapest Nokia and Sony Ericsson models!)
- AJAX powered site restoration
- "Kickstart" restore: restore without unpacking backup
- Move your site between hosts without downloading/uploading anything (using the DirectFTP backup engine)
- Archives can be restored on any host. Useful for transferring your site between subdomains/hosts or even to/from your local testing server (XAMPP, WAMPServer, MAMP, Zend Server, etc).
and much much more!
Do not miss out the complimentary companion software (Akeeba Kickstart and Akeeba eXtract Wizard) which are available free of charge from our site. They make working with Akeeba Backup a breeze.
Note: The software is free of charge, its support is not. You need a valid subscription to request support. Its documentation, the troubleshooting wizard and searching the public tickets is free.
*** IF YOU CAN'T FIND HOW TO ENABLE A FEATURE LISTED HERE, PLEASE READ THE (FREE) DOCUMENTATION! ***
Until version 3.3.5 it even had restoration points, so when an item was updated, you could roll back to a previous edition if it fails.
And therein lies the low grade I've given it. They have removed the restoration point thing without any warning in 3.3.5, and you can't even roll back to the 3.3.4, because they've removed the feature.
If this was informed previously, BEFORE the upgrade, you could make an informed decision on the upgrade, but by doing it this way, you can't.
The prosoftware is very expensive, and I can only fear for the future, when they remove this feature without warning, what will be next.
First, we had discussed that on my forum (https://www.akeebabackup.com/support/forum/pre-sales/what-i-have-to-buy-a-pro-to-get-my-restoration-points-back.html) where you wrote:
"You want me to pay 40€ PER YEAR for this software, never in a million years, just to get that feature back?????? This is a fringe product compared to the features on the site, and I pay less for them combined."
So, basically, here's what you told me:
- You consider backups to be a fringe feature of your site.
- You are OK paying for other people's software, but not for mine (gee, thanks)
- You consider me terrible (gee, thanks a bunch!)
- Yet, you think it's OK to complain very loudly about a feature which was removed, even though its functionality CAN be replicated with the existing features of the Core release (free as in "free beer") and I had the courtesy of telling you how without requesting payment for your support request.
- YOU failed to read the release announcement (https://www.akeebabackup.com/home/item/1249-akeeba-backup-3-3-6.html) where it is CLEARLY stated what was removed and WHY (and I tweeted a link to it too), you didn't bother reading the CHANGELOG and somehow it's my problem that you are too lazy to visit the site, subscribe to the FeedBurner RSS-to-email gateway (which sends you a copy of the announcement to your mailbox before Akeeba Backup notifies you of the update) or read the tweet.
So, you say it's a fringe product you don't respect and you don't value, yet you consider the system restore points feature critical? Really?! You call my software "fringe", which to a developer who's giving something away for free it's like telling him to screw himself. You call me terrible. You make it perfectly clear that you will never, ever pay to get anything from me. You have never contributed anything to the free version, be it a translation, a suggestion, a bug report or a kind word. Nada. Nothing. Zilch. Yet you have the bloody nerve to make demands?! In the words of Liraz Siri, a TurnKey Linux co-developer, "Be nice. It's a fscking gift". (http://www.turnkeylinux.org/blog/be-nice-its-a-gift)
I have only used for one restore onto a different server. Other than the need to create a database and user (which I don't think you would need restoring onto the same server), it worked great.
A few glitches when I brought it up but WAY easier than a full setup.
I cannot recommend this extension highly enough.
Seven stars for this.
It's not only for backing up a website from online server to local computer server, but it's work also the other way around. I used to work and complete a website on my local computer first, before transferring it manually to online server trough ftp, it's took times and sometimes error happen resulted in fail. but when I got this extension no more problem :) is so easy, fast and no more error.
Thanks to Akkeba Team for this free extension...
This has to be welcome news for all of us that are all too familiar with the Joomla upgrade "dance".
Congratulations to the Akeeba team .. they deserve Joomla Oscars!
The installation was simple, the set-up is easy as well given all the explanation, tool tip an guides. Sure there are many settings as you would expect from a professional extensions. But not too many that you are discouraged looking at the config page.
The restoration process is a breeze! so simple.
It's definitely worth getting the pro version. I used to always go for free extensions. But what you get for such small price is no doubt valuable. And when you think about it, just factor the cost in your next project(s), and basically, your extension will be paid for by clients, and will benefits you for all sites.
And since time is money, you will save a lot of money with this extension. A very good ROI is you ask me.
Let alone providing additional service to your client by providing them with peace of mind knowing that their entire site is backed up frequently and ready to be restored very quickly.
Great work Akeeba team !