Akeeba Backup has won the prestigious Administrator Only Extension J.O.S.C.A.R. Award at J and Beyond 2010. Download it for free to find out why.
Joomla! 2.5/3.0 only. We have older versions for Joomla! 1.5/1.6/1.7 on our site.
- It configures itself for optimal operation with your site. Just click on Configuration Wizard.
- One click backup.
- AJAX powered backup (site and database, database only, files only or incremental files only backup)
- The fastest native PHP backup engine.
- Choose between standard ZIP or highly efficient JPA archive format
- able to exclude specific files, folders
- able to exclude specific database tables or their contents
- Unattended backup mode (CRON job scheduling), fully compatible with Webcron.org
- Backup using any cellphone made after 2007 with a web browser using our exclusive "Lite Mode" (including the cheapest Nokia and Sony Ericsson models!)
- AJAX powered site restoration
- "Kickstart" restore: restore without unpacking backup
- Move your site between hosts without downloading/uploading anything (using the DirectFTP backup engine)
- Archives can be restored on any host. Useful for transferring your site between subdomains/hosts or even to/from your local testing server (XAMPP, WAMPServer, MAMP, Zend Server, etc).
and much much more!
Do not miss out the complimentary companion desktop software (Akeeba SiteDiff and Akeeba eXtract Wizard) which are available free of charge from our site. They make working with Akeeba Backup a breeze.
Note: The software is free of charge, its support is not. You need a valid subscription (starting at EUR 7.79) to request support. However, its documentation, the troubleshooting wizard and searching the forum is free.
*** IF YOU CAN'T FIND HOW TO ENABLE A FEATURE LISTED HERE, PLEASE READ THE (FREE) DOCUMENTATION! ***
After had tested the non-commercial version we have bought the pro version which was a “laid-back installation” and the same goes for backing-up. We had some problems with the restore of our first backup, which was a 100% clone of our production site to our new development site. However, it was down to ourselves not the Akeeba backup, after Nicholas’s exceptional support we were up and running for good. We have by now done several restores of sites using Kickstart.php, which restore your site like a standard Joomla installation.
The documentation provided by Nicholas is very comprehensive. It is huge, but it takes you through everything step by step.
Someone here at the review for Akeeba Backup mentioned that Nicholas is a Joomla Guru and Teacher, I agree 100%.
Thank you for this great Joomla backup.
We have also bought the Admin Tools Pro version and I owe a review for this Joomla extension as well.
We are looking forward to continuing the co-operation with Nicholas.
Also, my sites have been hacked before. Akeeba Admin has put en end to that so far, but just in case it's a safe feeling to have a working backup at hand.
I've spent the money and bought a subscription, and it's money well spent.
Keep up the good work!
Configuration is very easy (does it by itself), reinstallation is easy, new installation in a test environement also a child's play.
Great job! Thank you!
Thank you for your review!
Yes, the full documentation is thorough but quite a monster to read in one sitting. We do have two other, quicker, methods to get you started:
1. our Quick Start Guide (shorter, step-by-step, illustrated documentation); and
2. our video tutorials (seeing and doing is usually much easier than reading and doing).
Both are available free of charge from our site.
Anyone running a Joomla! site should definatiely consider using this.
It's is very user friendly (also for non-tech people), it gets updated regularly without problems. You can create backups in no time and can use those to restore the site in case of problems without hassle. You can use it to move your website from one host to another without any fuzz.
This extension makes it easy to get non technical users to backup the website on a regular basis.
I was inspired to write the review, however, because of the quality of the documentation. Twice, looking for a problem that wasn't Akeeba-related, Google pointed me to a page on the Akeeba site that solved frustrating Joomla problems for me. There's an enormous amount of valuable information in the documentation and support files, useful for Akeeba and in other parts of Joomla as well.