Akeeba Backup has won the prestigious Administrator Only Extension J.O.S.C.A.R. Award at J and Beyond 2010. Download it for free to find out why.
Latest Joomla! 2.5/3.x only. We have older versions for past Joomla! 1.5/1.6/1.7/2.5/3.x versions on our site.
- It configures itself for optimal operation with your site. Just click on Configuration Wizard.
- One click backup.
- AJAX powered backup (site and database, database only, files only or incremental files only backup)
- The fastest native PHP backup engine.
- Choose between standard ZIP or highly efficient JPA archive format
- able to exclude specific files, folders
- able to exclude specific database tables or their contents
- Unattended backup mode (CRON job scheduling), fully compatible with Webcron.org
- Backup using any cellphone made after 2007 with a web browser using our exclusive "Lite Mode" (including the cheapest Nokia and Sony Ericsson models!)
- AJAX powered site restoration
- "Kickstart" restore: restore without unpacking backup
- Move your site between hosts without downloading/uploading anything (using the DirectFTP backup engine)
- Archives can be restored on any host. Useful for transferring your site between subdomains/hosts or even to/from your local testing server (XAMPP, WAMPServer, MAMP, Zend Server, etc).
and much much more!
Do not miss out the complimentary companion software (Akeeba Kickstart and Akeeba eXtract Wizard) which are available free of charge from our site. They make working with Akeeba Backup a breeze.
Note: The software is free of charge, its support is not. You need a valid subscription to request support. Its documentation, the troubleshooting wizard and searching the public tickets is free.
*** IF YOU CAN'T FIND HOW TO ENABLE A FEATURE LISTED HERE, PLEASE READ THE (FREE) DOCUMENTATION! ***
I was inspired to write the review, however, because of the quality of the documentation. Twice, looking for a problem that wasn't Akeeba-related, Google pointed me to a page on the Akeeba site that solved frustrating Joomla problems for me. There's an enormous amount of valuable information in the documentation and support files, useful for Akeeba and in other parts of Joomla as well.
Make Backups are now not more head pain just one click and you have a perfect easy to use full Datbase and site Backup in one. Akeeba make my life easy when you have to update and backup regulary 100 Sites
Simply put, after using it for a few months you'll loose the count of how many times it saved your life, or how much time it saved you for moving sites from one server to another.
And the most amazing thing: it's free! I'm sure many people in the software industry won't be able to believe it :).
I especially like how Akeeba Backup in combination with Kickstarter (also on their site) makes it very easy to migrate your site to a different location (in my case often from or to my localhost to experiment or break stuff).
No need to be afraid of wrecking your live site if you can easily work on an exact mirror of the site - putting a 12.000 article site back takes only a few minutes.
Caution though: if your backup file is not password protected, don't put it online - anyone bumping into it has all the information (including database login, user tables with email addresses, ...). Use a password if you plan on doing this, and delete the file right after you restored it.