XCloner is a Backup and Restore component designed for Joomla! The purpose is to give users possibility to clone their Joomla installation and move it over the internet on any location!
XCloner 3.0 is a Joomla native extension as well as a standalone backup application!
XCloner can also be used as a standalone backup utility for any PHP/MYSQL site, so it can backup other sites running on Wordpress, Drupal and so on.
- Create full or partial backups based on your input
- Create simple or compressed backups based on your configuration input
- Possibility to create incremental backups, so you avoid the time limit problems on php script executions
- Possibility to exclude directory and files from the backup, manually or through cron settings(AJAX powered)
- Create backups based on a cron task, created backups can be stored on the local server, remotely through ftp or emailed to a custom email account
- Possibility to run multiple cronjobs, based on different configuration files
- Ability to manage existing backups, rename/delete/move, publish to user frontend for sharing
- Possibility to clone any backup to another location, it can be done automatically by using the server ftp function or manually
- Send Backups to the Amazon S3 service
- Configuration area lets you choose on how to generate backups based on your server possibilities
- You can choose to create backups by using only PHP, or by also using some server utilities to speed things up
- Backup split option for systems with file size limitations
- Incremental database backups for large databases
- Send backup to the cloud, Amazon S3 supported
- The generated clone of XCloner can be restored on a totally different server, with new server and mysql details
- Restore both simple and compressed archives
- Restore script is independent from the main component and Joomla and can be run on any host
- Full restore of a clone made with XCloner
- Ability to restore the original files and directories permissions
- Automatic re-write of the new host settings to the configuration file
- Ability to import the clone using either a ftp simulated sessions, or direct restore through php
- Possibility to exclude database from importing
- Ability to restore multiple clones to different locations, and also restore multiple database backups from the same clone
The good news:
With that said, this product is poised to become one of the most useful joomla tools ever. With some software updates, JoomlaCloner can be a great product.
I'll be watching, and waiting.
before purchase, I did a few hrs research into other backup solutions. Nothing else looked comparable.
If you use this, the first time you do a clone (i.e. to move an entire site to a new host), you will want to prepare a checklist of items needed, like host setup parameters, directory structures, permissions, mysql info. Variables among hosting setups make the clone process less than 'automatic.' Support is solid, so no worry.
A couple of gotchas which maybe documented. 1. Beware if you have relocated configuration.php as per security recommendations - this file may not be backed up and the new site will not work, but it is easily copied over. 2. If your site uses .htaccess, php.ini and any of the SEFs then you might have to edit these files on your local WAMP install. Not a bug in JoomlaCloner, but make sure site does fully work in the cloned area. Otherwise, well worth the investment.
Thank you for your hard work and excellent software Ovidiu!!!
PS You can see from other comments how Ovidiu must have used JoomlaCloner on himself to create 100 Ovidius (how else can he respond to support emails so efficiently? ;)
Are you thinking of buying it. Stop thinking and just buy...
It costs money, and it's worth it! Every cent.
I've moved different sites of mine, and had few problems. When a problem occurs I contact Joomlaplug/ Ovidiu and they fix it. That easy!
Last time I got an error I didn't understand at all, and Ovidiu fixed it within the hour. It had to do with different MySQL server versions, and without help I had been lost. With help I was saved.
Thank you Ovidiu for all help!
After purchasing it, I had some issues that stopped me from getting success (my problems, NOT the products problems)
I logged onto the support site and got an answer to my questions within an hour of posting them. When I STILL couldn't make sense of what to do (once again, MY problems NOT the products) they got right in there for me and fixed it.
The best £26 I've spent in a very long time.
To bring some clarifications to our clients review:
1. after purchasing JoomlaCloner you will be allowed to add any number of sites(sites that you own as specified in the License Agreement) in your Profile area, and for that you will be generated a license code to use with JoomlaCloner for unlimited period of time
2. if the user purchases a limited license like 1, 2 years ones, after the period expires they can still use JoomlaCloner on the registered websites however they won't be allowed to add more websites(in their Profile area from our site) and so generate new licenses, this is considered an upgrade and will need to comply with the License Agreement
I did have problems initially, however. I read the instructions carefully but was unable to back up any files. There were a number of reasons for this, mostly due to how my hosting company had set up my account. Despite this, the developer was very gracious as he worked with me to resolve the issue. I did have to work to transfer information between the hosting company and the developer, but in the end the issues were all resolved and I was able to successfully back up my site. I never had to wait longer then two hours for a reply from the developer, and often they came much sooner. In fact, on one occasion he sent me a follow-up email with more information and something else I could try.
One reason my backup was ultimately successful was the number of backup options that are available. I ended up using the most manual process, but even that is no worse then clicking two links. If you have better control over your hosting account than I have, you can go so far as to fully automate the backups through a Cron job and speed up the process by using server utilities to tar or zip your files. Even my manual backup, with over 4000 files, took less than ten minutes. Another option that I will be testing is the ability to have finished backups automatically FTPed to another server for off-site storage. There is even the option to age backups and automatically remove the older ones.
Cloning is another nice feature. If you need to move your Joomla site to another host, simply clone it. The current site will be backed up, FTPed to the new host, and once you've entered the MySQL login information the backup will be automatically restored on the new host. This sounds like a great way to launch a live site after it's been developed in a test area.
Based on the number of backup and restore options, and especially the outstanding customer support, I would highly recommend JoomlaCloner.
I recently had a few questions on the right method to restore a backup to a site that I basically blew up … had a few things I was experimenting with.
I submitted a support ticket and Ovidiu was on top of things in no time. With each question, I was guided step by step until I had my website back up and running.
I originally bought the JoomlaCloner Unlimited Support & Upgrades package and I’ll tell you that after today, I’m really happy that I made that investment into my business.
Once again, thank you for all your help Ovidiu,