The AdminExile Plugin has long been a favored and highly rated extension in the JED. Read the reviews, check out the 9 pages of documentation, and then try it yourself.
* Access key(s) - key only, or key + key value. Others provide one or the other. AdminExile provides BOTH.
* Front-end Restriction - Restrict certain accounts from logging into the front-end with accounts intended only for back-end use.
* Lost Key Recovery - Useful for individuals using extremely difficult keys, or teams who change the keys frequently.
* IP White and Black Lists - Use individual addresses, or CIDR netmasks to define your lists.
* Brute Force Protection - Penalize users who abuse your system.
* Management of blocked addresses - See a list of blacklist attempts and bruteforce attempts, as well as the ability to reset those IP addresses.
* Admin Notification - When abuse comes from a blacklisted address or brute force is detected, an administrator can be sent a notification.
* Stealth Mode - Prevents tell-tale signs that something exists at /administrator, like the session cookie!
There are far too many features to describe in this page. Visit the documentation link to get the bigger picture.
Version 2.2.0 - Feature requests answered:
1. Email once per attack (optional).
2. Separate email to differentiate blacklist and bruteforce attack.
3. separate email configuration for blacklists
4. performance improvements.
Version 2.2.3 - Fix custom field error which occurred only in J3.1
Version 2.2.4 - Fix bug which logs the current user out when (s)he disables a user in the User Manager.
All of my extensions are free and none of my extensions display advertisements or links to my sites or services. If you feel that I have blessed you, then you can bless me by making a contribution to fund future development. Visit the "Website" link to make a contribution.
The extension is easy and quick to set up, but very effective.
We have been developing Joomla sites for many years now and this is the type of core extension that all Joomla websites should use.
And its completely free!
Keep up the good work, To show our appreciation we have also made a donation!
I appreciate the review and the donation! I'll be putting it to good use - school supplies for my son.
Excellent it worked for 14h. Then, impossible to get access to the backend anymore. Not even with the key or whatever you explain on your website.
Now, we are facing more than 50 members that can't access to some things they paid for.
We face a 403 forbidden page and nothing more is usable.
Thank you so much, we really appreciate it. No support, no documentation. That's why it's free.
My software is very clearly written - and not obfuscated. It should be trivial for anyone who knows what they're doing to see that there aren't any 14 hour timers built into the code.
Additionally, there is only one piece of code that sends a response code - and that code is 404 - not 403. 404 is not found - as in the content doesn't exist, while 403 is forbidden - as in, the server has been configured to disallow access.
My guess is that you installed a whole bunch of things at the same time - and you have no idea what went wrong. If I was a betting man - I'd say you caused the error by changing something in your .htaccess file.
Firstly, while I'm clicking on logout button, its showing "Oops! the link appears to be broken".
Secondly, once I use this blanket url in a browser, the next time if I open the administrator link directly, without using this blanket url, the administrator page is opening directly.
First: If you're getting an error on logout - it's because you have an invalid redirect URL in the plugin settings.
Second: if you read the description, you would know that this is how the plugin behaves:
"Once you've clicked the second link, your AdminExile key will be active until your session expires (or until you close your browser)."
When you emailed your information to me yesterday, you indicated that you were running Joomla 1.5.20 (current is 1.5.26), VirtueMart 1.1.7 (current is 2.0.6), and AdminExile 1.4 (current is 1.9).
Before you write things like this in reviews, you might consider updating your software to the latest revisions.