The AdminExile Plugin has long been a favored and highly rated extension in the JED. Read the reviews, check out the 9 pages of documentation, and then try it yourself.
* Access key(s) - key only, or key + key value. Others provide one or the other. AdminExile provides BOTH.
* Front-end Restriction - Restrict certain accounts from logging into the front-end with accounts intended only for back-end use.
* Lost Key Recovery - Useful for individuals using extremely difficult keys, or teams who change the keys frequently.
* IP White and Black Lists - Use individual addresses, or CIDR netmasks to define your lists.
* Brute Force Protection - Penalize users who abuse your system.
* Management of blocked addresses - See a list of blacklist attempts and bruteforce attempts, as well as the ability to reset those IP addresses.
* Admin Notification - When abuse comes from a blacklisted address or brute force is detected, an administrator can be sent a notification.
* Stealth Mode - Prevents tell-tale signs that something exists at /administrator, like the session cookie!
There are far too many features to describe in this page. Visit the documentation link to get the bigger picture.
Version 2.3.0 - additional error handling for invalid IP address/subnets typed in configuration - new IP configuration interface (With automatic sorting) and IP validation
Version 2.3.1 - fix include path issue experienced in older PHP versions
Version 2.3.2 - PHP Dynamic Loader enhancements (Thanks Richard B.)
Version 2.3.3 - fixed include path error
Version 2.3.4 - silenced unneeded warnings
Version 2.3.5 - resolved errors introduced by J3.3.1 and J2.5.19
All of my extensions are free and none of my extensions display advertisements or links to my sites or services. If you feel that I have blessed you, then you can bless me by making a contribution to fund future development. Visit the "Website" link to make a contribution.
When you emailed your information to me yesterday, you indicated that you were running Joomla 1.5.20 (current is 1.5.26), VirtueMart 1.1.7 (current is 2.0.6), and AdminExile 1.4 (current is 1.9).
Before you write things like this in reviews, you might consider updating your software to the latest revisions.
this does te trick...and very well indeed.
nomore people trying to login as admin :)
i seriously hope lots of ppl will let you make extentions without buying full rights...that may sound harsh. but hey,
i really enjoy your plugins and will deffo donate when i finished this website ;)
For those who are confused by this review - I offer custom development services. When a customer has an idea for an extension that I think would benefit the community - I offer to build it at a reduced cost in exchange for full copyright and a promise to release it as a free extension in the JED.
These free extensions become a calling card and code example and bring more business to me. I can't say I like charging less - but I can say that I do enjoy giving back to the community.
Will use your donate button later as soon as I get the next paycheck.
How do I make money... Well, I don't - not from free extensions anyway.
Most of these extensions were built for my clients. Because they opted to NOT purchase full rights, I released them for free. So my clients paid me to create them, but they didn't pay to own them.
There are several extensions I've created that are, sadly, not mine to give away anymore.
Fast and easy. I am impressed.
Excellent point Jody -
AdminExile isn't the only thing an administrator/owner should do to secure the administrator area. It is, however, a good first step. Strong passwords should be the next consideration.
Paranoia is a good trait for webmasters.
Today when I try to log in again, I can't get the login page! (by the url cached on my firefox)
Problem solved by removing the www. on the url.
Not sure if it is because that url is itself a subdomain or why, anyway, hope this piece of infn is useful to those who encounter similar situation.
Subdomain you say... I'll look into that!
Send me a message through my site!