AdminExile has long been a favored and highly rated extension in the JED. Read the reviews and try it yourself.
* Access key(s) - key only, or key + key value. Others provide one or the other. AdminExile provides BOTH.
* Front-end Restriction - Restrict certain accounts from logging into the front-end with accounts intended only for back-end use.
* Lost Key Recovery - Useful for individuals using extremely difficult keys, or teams who change the keys frequently.
* IP White and Black Lists - Use individual addresses, or CIDR netmasks to define your lists.
* Brute Force Protection - Penalize users who abuse your system.
* Management of blocked addresses - See a list of blacklist attempts and bruteforce attempts, as well as the ability to reset those IP addresses.
* Admin Notification - When abuse comes from a blacklisted address or brute force is detected, an administrator can be sent a notification.
* Stealth Mode - Prevents tell-tale signs that something exists at /administrator, like the session cookie!
There are far too many features to describe in this page. Visit the documentation link to get the bigger picture.
Version 2.0.0 - Massive rewrite, more features, now featuring kitten whispers - recommended upgrade!
Version 2.0.1 - resolves an issue on systems that do NOT have the GMP library (because I thought everyone had it!)
Version 2.0.2 - file missing from previous version
Version 2.0.3 - resolved issue with valueless key
All of my extensions are free and none of my extensions display advertisements or links to my sites or services. If you feel that I have blessed you, then you can bless me by making a contribution to fund future development. Visit the "Website" link to make a contribution.
On The Other Hand, AdminExile works like a charm straight out of the box. The protection is simple, but highly effective. I would (and will!) recommend it to anyone looking to add an extra layer of protection to their Joomla websit.! Good show!
Even with the slight problems that i have i still love it.
When i log in the back-end it sends me back to the front-page and i have to fill in the key again than it goes straight to the back-end, aside from that I LOVE IT :D
That issue is described in the extension description and is caused by a Joomla 1.5 bug (you'll find the issue numbers in the description as well). It does not occur in Joomla 1.6. When the Joomla core developers implement one of the submitted fixes, this issue will go away.
I'm sorry you experienced this issue, but it's not caused by the plugin.
I've tried all the free plugins to acomplish this task and AdminExile is by far the best. Kudos.
Wow, I never tried using an all numeric key. Thanks for the report - I'll take a close look at that.