Written and maintained by the same developer as Akeeba Backup and the Joomla! updater component of Joomla! 2.5.4 and later.
Note: a commercial edition (Admin Tools Professional) with extra security-oriented features is also available from our site for a fee. This listing is about the free version, Admin Tools Core.
Note 2: The software is free of charge, its support is not. You need a valid subscription (starting at EUR 7.79) to request support. However, its documentation, the troubleshooting wizard and searching the forum is free.
This is a very powerful tool that makes various jobs so much easier to do.
I found it from a mention in the idea pool. Wish I had found this years ago!
Easy to install, easy to use, and a must have for every Joomla website.
My favorites are:
- Updating Joomla with such ease with the option of also using FTP
- Administrator's login protection
- Repairing/Optimizing databases
- Setting files/folders' permissions
What I don't like, which isn't a great deal really especially taking into account it general usefulness, is the fact it it inserts code into the .htaccess file, that "## EOMBAK - Do not remove this line or this file" line.
I don't know if the FREE version of the extension actually makes use if it really or if it used only with regard to some special option, but I generally don't like the messing with Joomla core files; it shouldn't happen, especially if the utility of such action is not present.
Moreover, I somehow ended up with three such lines of "## EOMBAK - Do not remove this line or this file" in my .htaccess file.
Another thing I have come to value in Joomla extensions is the effectiveness of their uninstallation. If I choose to uninstall an extension, I don't want anything staying behind, because then it is just garbage I don't need to have.
I uninstalled Admin Tools (while looking for a solution to a problem I had) and the database entries were maintained along with two folders and two files in the Joomla directory.
Large benefits, small disadvantages, yet right now I am looking to replace it with a simple admin login protection extension, while other features offered (of those that I personally use, that is) are not difficult tasks for me to accomplish, even though not as easy and fast as with this extension...
I've just grown to value extensions that "keep to their own"...
...of course this may be choice one has to make when opting for a do-it-all extension...
Great product overall, and it is important that it is actively supported and regularly updated. It certainly makes the user feel more secure and comfortable.
Thank you about your positive comments! However, there are two points in your review that I need to comment on:
1. The EOMBAK comment is added IF AND ONLY IF you use the Emergency Off-Line Mode. As the name suggests, it should only be used in case of emergency, i.e. when you suspect that someone besides you is accessing your site's back-end or when you've identified a vulnerability in your site. As we explicitly note at the very top of that feature's page, it is imperative that you read the documentation to understand how it works. It works by swapping your .htaccess file with another one which blocks all IPs except yours. Please do read the documentation and the warnings printed on the page being displayed on your browser. Both are there for a reason.
2. Admin Tools is supposed to uninstalled cleanly. If you ran into an uninstallation issue, please report it to our free support forum, including the names of the tables and files that were left behind. Remember: a bug not reported is a bug not fixed. It's not like we entertain ourselves by putting bugs in our software on purpose ;) Report it and it will be fixed within minutes or -in the case of very pesky bugs- hours. That's our bug squashing policy!
Together with the well-presented documentation (though I think I did spot a minor layout fault!), I have used the facilities I need in less than a day, without any problem.
You will probably find other extensions in JEDland that offer various subsets of this multi-tool’s functionality and feature set, but none that I am aware of provides its reach and scope in a single, clean and integrated package for the nice price of free.
From one newbie to another, this is truly exemplary software no Joomla! site should be without. But for even greater protection, you would do well, as I did after testing it on a couple of personal sites, to step up to the Professional edition which does so much more. It’s incredibly inexpensive protection for all the other investments and commitments you make in the work you do.
Thank you, and thanks again Nicholas and Akeeba developers!
Admin Tools is really useful, installs in seconds and makes general administration much easier.
One of the most usefull aspects of this component (for me anyways), is the ability to set file permissions for files and folders, then have it restore permissions for all.
I had to make a hack to the CHMOD values for this as it was missing the option to set things at values of CHMOD 705 and 604, which are the preferred permissions on shared hosting to prevent cross site injections.
All in all I think most of the tools in Admin Tools should be built in to Joomla 1.6 as standard, this is one of those components you'll find yourself useing in all your installs, if only they made joomla a multisite engine!.