- This extension requires registration to download.
- Warning: If the email "from" address is set as a super-administrator's email address, this causes the ability for any user to add content.
Here is a a partial list of features:
* Email content directly to your Joomla content sections and categories
* Specify breakpoint in email for readmore in the content
* Set a receiving email address to associate with a specific section and category
* Title of the content corresponds with the subject line of the email
* Associate Joomla users with specific email addresses
* Specify specific Joomla section or category based on receiving email address or based on sending email address
* Default author of the content is the sender of the email
* Specify a specific section and category for email from a certain user
* Spam display is protected with the default of any article received being "unpublished"
* Backend List of content emailed by author, associated Joomla user or receiving email account
I will not reccomend this program until they actually deliver what they say they deliver... :(
We do know this is a side business for the developer, but think they have a responsibility to their paying customers none the less.
1. Use this with pictures and text only. Claims to work with videofiles, but this never worked out for me. Sometimes it worked and sometimes site chrashed. Sometimes internal server error etc.
Keep to pictures, text and small files under 10 mb and you are okey.
I have not tested this extension under shared hosting, but only on a dedicated and a VPS.
On both sites the site load times have gone up from about 1 sec prior to 7 sec after. This happend on both servers. Maybe this has something todo with the cronjob running, but anyway it is something that should be adressed.
So my conclusion beeing.
Good product and great potensial if some key issues are adressed.
- Decreases site performance
- Big files ( above 15MB ) makes site halt, chrash.
Site Performance is only affected if the internal cron is used. This is recommended only for nonbusy sites. The best way to run PowerMail is to have an external cron to collect the email on your specified schedule. If it is run like this, there is no performance hit to any site.
We are updating the code to handle files bigger than 15 mb, but at present, attachments on an email that are very large are not recommended.
Apparently this reviewer did not have their cron working. There are actually 3 ways to retrieve mail. This method which requires a button click and 2 automatic methods: an internal cron and an external cronjob.
Our forum discusses this setup and also the help section within powermail.
Finally, with this one, I found something that does.
I use it to make life a little easier for clients who want to add content to their sites. They can just email it in and then tidy it up from the backend.
I did have trouble getting gMail or Google Apps email accounts to work with the component - so in the end gave up on this (for now). It all seems to be around the ssl stuff with these, so I just created a standard POP account on another server.
I see that the issue with gMail is meant to have been sorted - but I've not been able to get it working.
But even with this problem, I'm very happy with the component.
I am using this as a primus motor for a WIKI style site where I wanted the flexibility of adding content at the snap of a finger (or rather a few taps of the finger) & did not want any other fancy stuff. The free version, even with the limitations is fantastically efficient.
I did face the following challenge:
- Gmail connectivity & retrival was not possible.
Good Job & thank you for this extension.
Gmail connectivity has been achieved. Please make sure that you use the following settings:
Lastly, you must call your hosting company and make sure that the outgoing port 995 is not blocked. A dedicated IP address may be necessary as this is how fixed it on our servers.
If you are a content management site and post a lot of news or get news from a lot of sources, this is the best extension I have ever seen.
This has made my life as a publisher so much better, I can't hardly even put in words.
Great Job Stan.. Great Job.