* Create highly-customizable calendars and events
* Google Calendar support: ability to show events from Google Calendars - unlimited number of calendars supported for main view
* Repeating (recurring) events: each N days or weeks, or each Monday each month, etc.
* Draggable/non-draggable events
* Customizable time formats, start date, day of week to start with, etc.
* Ability to generate calendars and events from existing Joomla! articles by entering section id and category id
* Ability to generate calendars and events from existing K2 items by entering K2 category id
* Ability to select an article to assign to event
* Ability to select K2 item to assign to event
* Supports com_zoo items to be assigned to calendar events
* Right to left support (for Arabic and Hebrew)
* Access Rights support
* Single-date and interval events
* Events can have description and links
* Customizable front-end messages
* Customizable styles
* Comes with mini-calendar module to show local events or agenda view
* Available calendar list view and single calendar view
* Can be used as events manager and calendar
* Supports calendar groups: calendars can be grouped and shown in a single view
* Agenda view (flat view) available: http://www.demo.artetics.com/index.php?option=com_artcalendar&calendarid=1&mode=agenda
* Specific calendar can be assigned to menu item
* Any HTML can be shown in event description
* This is open-source software
The only caveat for part time admins like me who use a Mac is to remember that you don't want Safari to UNZIP the bundle automatically! You install the Zip bundle itself.
Here's the thing: this calendar is nice looking and it works, plus the developer is relatively responsive. BUT this component lacks (even after the new feature I requested was added) the features that in my mind are to be reasonably expected in an online calendar: the ability to add a new event on the calendar by (intuitively) clicking somewhere in the date box where you want to put an event; the ability to look at the day, the week, or the month (Art Calendar only shows the month); and the ability to edit or delete events from the front end.
I'm not expecting Google Calendar or Meeting Maker here, just a reasonably [i]usable[/i] application.
So count me a disappointed customer. I'm not asking for a refund for two reasons: first, I respect the work the developer has done and tried to do in response to my request. Second, there is a demo site up which exhibits all the limitations I long for above--so [i]mea culpa[/i]. I assumed that there were many more features in the component than are there on the demo site, but nope--the demo shows you pretty much everything the app has to offer.
Hopefully there's a more full-featured Joomla calendar out there somewhere for 1.6/1.7 users. One thing's for sure: the first person who brings a reasonably priced one to market is going to make a lot of money quickly....
I did some CSS changes myself and now it looks and works superb! Try Art, they will help you get there with great custom work and support !
They take into account suggestions for new functionalities and help you with any question you have through their forum.
Being an inexperienced joomla user this was very valuable for me (and made me a little bit more knowledgable ;-) ).
But I've now spent hours customizing it to meet the additional requirements of my client, and I can say beyond a doubt that I would not have purchased it in hindsight. While the code is adequate, it's certainly not *good*. There are sections that are clearly copied and pasted with no thought to DRY conventions, and likewise there is no separation of logic and content. Speaking as an intermediate-level programmer, the component code is a nightmare of echoes and 200-line if/else blocks.
I haven't submitted a support request and I don't intend to. I don't need support, and I've cleaned it up enough to the point that I can handle and make it work. But when I'm paying for an extension, I expect a modicum of standard compliance. I also expect that the code is readable and that any change I need to make can be done with minimal effort, and I expect the script to balance efficiency with maintainability. In our industry, how you do things can be almost as important as actually doing them, and I really feel like this extension misses the mark in that regard.
We are always ready to help to customize the extension for our customers for free. All is needed is to contact us by email or on our forum.
Most of customizations can be done with CSS changes.
2.0 version will have most of the code reworked and simplified.
Fantastic product, fantastic support. Well worth the very small investment!