- This extension has additional addons listed in an extension specific category.
- This extension requires registration to download.
For over 9 years now the 500,000 and growing Joomlapolis members have made CB the most widely used (over 2,500,000 public installs per Google) social networking solution. It’s FREE and has always been GPL.
Social websites go far beyond Facebook look-alikes and CB has literally hundreds of built-in features and extra (free or commercial) add-ons from CB Team and other parties that will help you realize your very own - tailored to your specific needs - website.
CB also has a powerful built-in framework (CB API doc. is available on Joomlapolis) so it can be extended and enhanced.
There are hundreds of built-in features you can use to:
+ Create profiles for your members
+ Identify users with first/middle/last name fields
+ Add avatar photos to profiles
+ Add unlimited CB fields to your profiles (text, image, textarea, html editor, integer, checkbox, multi-select checkbox, drop-down, multi-select drop-down, radio, date, email, weblinks - more available with add-ons)
+ Use delimiter fields to put customized HTML code in profiles
+ Configure fields to be read-only, for profile viewing, displayed with title, to appear on registration form, etc
+ Control of core fields (email, username, etc), and ajax email and username checkers
+ Custom field validations
+ Organize fields in tabs that can be displayed in different built-in profile positions
+ Create extended registration form
+ Allow login using email address and password
+ Manage registration and profile image approval in frontend with CB Workflow module
+ Create unlimited CB User lists with powerful searching
+ Let members connect with each other (mutual consent or one way)
+ Display # of connections on profiles
+ Show connection path between profile viewer and owner up to 6th degree
+ Moderate your community with FE reporting, banning,
+ Let members interact (using email or PMS extension)
+ Built-in integration with Joomla articles (show article links in author profiles)
+ Built-in integration with Kunena forum
+ Use built-in integration with uddeIM messaging
Each CB distribution has:
+ component (universal for all J! versions and Mambo)
+ CB Login, Workflow and Online mods (also universal)
+ 43 page Install guide
+ Readme and Upgrade txt files
Joomlapolis hosts free community driven support forums.
Optionally, Advanced, Professional or Developer 12-months memberships can be purchased giving rights to priority or even same/next business day guaranteed forum support and access to many additional optional plugins and privileges.
PHP 5.0-5.4.x and MySQL 4.1+ database are prerequisites (PHP 5.2.4+ and MySQL 5.0.4+, same as Joomla 2.5, are recommended).
* Please do not use the reviews to post support issues. Use our free community forums or paid support system at https://www.joomlapolis.com/suppor
I have been using it for one full year the best thing i liked is the free version, anyone can use it. Now I have benefits from it and I want other users to use it free in their beginning with joomla, i will go pro i will buy the membership and enjoy its membership benefits also.
I am very much thankful for creating bug-free perfect component for creating community websites.
Thanks for your review and rating. We need to address your remarks:
- CB has CB MVC and CB templating with CB template plugins (6 core free included with CB, and we offer separately optionally 3 commercial joomla & CB templates).
- For adding/changing redirects, there is the CB Auto Actions plugin (Incubator area for Pro members), that allows you to set workflows in 5 minutes without hacking: http://www.joomlapolis.com/cb-solutions/incubator
- CB is very flexible and versatile and suits many different needs by just configuration. Thus its code might appear more complex and using more design patterns than the average joomla extension. Thats why we created the CB plugins API which is much simpler to understand than CB core:
- In CB, to the contrary of many other extensions, there is no need to hack CB code, as there is a powerful and highly backwards- and upwards-compatible CB API with a CB Plugins installer. We do not recommend hacking core code for maintenance and security reasons, but using or creating CB Plugins instead. That way you can upgrade easily CB core without having to redo any changes.
- We have support: Free community forum; For Advanced members we have priority forum and for Pro and Developer members we even have SLA levels forums with guaranteed *same or next* business day answer (!) as well as private tickets) as well as consulting services should you have any questions or issues. More information on support here (general remark: please do not use the JED review system for support): http://www.joomlapolis.com/support
I noticed a couple of reviews complaining about paying for the add-ons/priority support. How can anyone expect an extension as huge and comprehensive as Community Builder to thrive without a proper revenue stream? Practically all the good extensions out there now are commercial ones. Programmers have to eat, just like everyone else! At least you get a chance to try out the main component, which is free, before paying for any of the commercial extras, most of which add really valuable functionality to what is, in my view, a first class extension.
I also think the overal design is really bad and ugly , so it needs a lot of hacking the css, overal its just to hard, I give up:-(
Bottom Line is it is a great and powerful extension!
I don't understand the criticism. It has always installed OK for me - over 4 versions. The only problem I have ever had was with database corruption after a server outage - and the tools supplied sorted it out in no time.
I do see that the amount of free offerings on the JoomlaPolis cite are much reduced with the latest version, but that cannot seriously be complained about - the wonder was it being free previously.
It is a stable, well written and well supported system which is simple enough to use in quick sticks and yet complex enough to offer the experienced developer plenty of scope.
It is the first component (after Akeeba backup) that I install on any new Joomla setup - that is the highest praise I could possibly give it :-)
Unintuitive, unstable extension brought down my entire site with ~1000 unique visitors per day. I ended up deleting it completely and killed all the files from the root of web site just to make sure nothing is left.
Welcome to JED reviews as this is your very first and only "review" and visible down-voting since "being around Joomla for 4 years" as you state.
We are sorry to have to reply to address the diverse incorrect statements you made:
1) Are you sure that you downloaded Community Builder 1.4 from the official site http://www.joomlapolis.com/ ? Even free, CB 1.4 is written cleanly and professionally for most parts using an extensible OOD approach, and has an excellent track record with no known vulnerabilities for years now. So not corresponding at all to your description made above.
2) we're also very surprised by your "terrible" experience, since none of the 406,614 CB community members that have downloaded at least one Community Builder official release so far did report such issues or experiences due to CB on our forums nor on http://forum.joomla.org/ to date.
3) To the contrary of what you write here, uninstalling CB is as easy as any other extension: simply uninstall through joomla extensions installer, done.
4) Finally, we need to notice that we don't see your username registered anywhere else (not on http://forum.Joomla.org/ and not on the official CB site http://www.Joomlapolis.com/ either, which is very surprising for someone "being around Joomla for 4 years").
You are welcome to download latest CB version for free on our site and to use our free support forums at http://www.joomlapolis.com/forum if you have any question or CB-related issue.