The Joomla! Extensions Directory ™

X5 Ajaxchat Module

Jun 17, 2014 | Ajax chat 2.7 available.

Simple, clean and easy to use graphical user interface. Chat and private messages system. Variable chat window height.
# Fully customizable templates(CSS).
# Multiple language translations.
# Chat in multiple rooms. Unlimited number of chat-rooms.
# Server time offset.
# Using pure http or https, with no firewall issues for your chatters.
# Jomsocial/Community Builder/Gravatar integration.
# Public and private messages in chat.
# Clear messages from the screen.

# Support Jomsocial 2.X/3.X
# Support Joomla! 2.X/3.X

Report Extension

Images

2014-08-02
Reviews: 1
Besides being an excellent module, the support is very good with quick responses and immediate actions. I am really pleased with the acquisition.
2014-04-11
Reviews: 37
I checked a lot of chats for joomla. But X5 Ajaxchat - is the best chat with multiple rooms and private messages.
Elegant clean template. Full ajax. Easy to moderate and bans. Easy to customize via css.
Great support. Developers immediatly fixed some little problems (with site template) and helped me in customize questions.
Thanks!
2013-11-22
Bought this for usage on my site and it looks great. The latest version is much better and faster. Can really recommend this!
2012-08-31
I would not recommend anyone pay money for this component. The product does not install properly and causes errors, when I tried to get support it took 3 days to get an auto response that meant nothing. After going bac and forth, the product still does not work properly and then they said i had to pay extra for sms service (doesnt say this anywhere on their site). Don't waste your money with this component as it doesnt work, doesnt look right, and takes going back and forth w support to be told theres not much they can do. I would not recommend any of the x5 products as you can tell this is a company wide thing. bad product, bad support, pretty pictures to get you to spend wasted money..
2012-03-15
I installed Joomla 1.7 to a subfolder of webroot, and so the chat wouldn't work with avatars and countryflags and so on. My fault, sry.
A guy from the support, even helped me with my template CSS rollover.
Great support, the software makes fun to use, and we are looking forward to a bigger community :-)
Thank you x5soft!
2012-03-02
Reviews: 3
This module is worth it's weight in gold. It is sleek and works very well.

I had a small conflict with it on my site, but the developer logged in and corrected everything very quickly. His support was by far the best support I have seen out of the many, many, extensions I have tried. X5 chat is certainly one of the most fun parts of my site now.

Thank you so much for such a wonderful module and for all your help after purchase!

A+ rating!
2012-02-28
The module has problems, when allowed for registered users only. A password with spezial characters results in an not working chat for this user. This is reported all over the www.

Support asked for super-user-account and installed two dangerous tools in joomla which caused big problems. But no apologize about this. The problems must be solved by myself. Now, not more support is given, because I refused another super-user-entry.

40 $ for nothing. Do not buy!
Owner's reply

How can we help you if you can't provide an access details to your site???

2012-02-03
Had quite a few issues with it. Worst issue was that when users attempted login to chat, they were directed to 404 page. In all browsers. Purchased it because their site said that Joomla 1.5 version was fully functional. When I emailed them to ask for help, I was told to upgrade Joomla to 1.7 to get extension to work. If 1.5 version doesn't work properly and they won't support it, I shouldn't have to pay for it and they should not be offering it. Because my site uses an extensive amount of paid extensions, some of which are still not compatible with 1.7, I have not been able to upgrade the site yet, which is why I bought the chat which was STATED TO WORK with 1.5. Support took several days to respond with unsatisfactory answer. No refund offered though it was requested since I cannot use it.
2012-01-02
I will start this review with the positives. When this works well it was exactly what we needed. It allowed me to embed a chat option above a Kunena forum which I can enable or disable so we had full control of it. It was very basic but perfect for our needs.

Unfortunately I had to remove it and fall back upon another Chat service which falls well short of what we need. The problem was an erroneous DOM READY ERROR which I am guessing was a conflict with the Menu on our template. It took me months to track this down as the error only appeared on some users machines and never on any of mine.

The publisher just said I can see it is working fine which means we cannot resolve the issue.

If it works for you then this extension is very good at what it does, unfortunately it didn't work for me.
2011-11-15
Reviews: 4
We just needed a chat mod, with some little extras.
A big Plus 5 stars for the support. My template had a jquery issue and wasnt showing it right but the support team helped me within 10 mins.

Fantastic work guys looking forward to 2.2
2011-11-01
Even after the very friendly and fast-responding support of X5 tried everything he could, the chat was errorous on our website. Users using browsers other than IE could use the chat, IE members not.
I have no idea what was the reason.

I give it three stars nevertheless because of the really friendly and hard-trying support, who refunded the money as soon as he noticed the program wasn't going to run properly.
2011-09-28
I really hate to give this a bad review…not only do I desperately need a good chat solution and was depending on this to be it, but as a long time Joomla developer and avid troll of the JED, you'd think I would know better by now right?

But as desperation is the mother of all assumptions, and as Eugene said assumption is the mother of all "screw-ups", I made the cardinal sin of "assuming" some things about this package that just ain't so. Hopefully this will help someone else from making the same mistake.

So here goes…pros first:

If you're only looking for an EXTREMELY BASIC chat package with a pretty face, this might be for you. It took me longer to buy it than it did to install and get it up and running. It worked right out of the "box" which is more than many apps here. And did I mention it was pretty?

But it ends there…now the cons:

Seriously, it really is nice looking and fun to play with for about 2 minutes…then you realize there's just nothing else there. There is no…and I mean NO documentation. However, you won't need it because the software really has nothing to configure and no "commercial" features. Seriously…nothing!

Either I'm missing something or the description here and on their site is not only misleading about its capabilities, but also downright false. There is no suggestion box, no search by user, no sorting and no clear messages feature as advertised above (although not sure why those are important features..but they're listed as being here and they aren't)

There's a screen shot of the module backend on their site. I assumed (yes, here's my big mistake) since there was no "component" screen shot and/or feature list or plugin functionality description, that they just weren't very good at marketing or didn't think they needed to provide anymore info to sell the product. (worked in my case!)

I soon realized after purchase that's because there IS NO component (nor a plugin for that matter) even though both are incorrectly listed as included above. So if you're thinking there has to be more than what they've shown and are expecting some basic functionality you'd expect from a commercial chat application with a component, module and plugin (because hey, it's listed above right?), and if you just figure they didn't take the time to market it well, you'd be wrong.

But wait…maybe logging in as a Joomla super admin on the front end will open up all that missing functionality. Not so. Logging into this mod as an admin adds ZERO functionality on the front end. I looked everywhere thinking there had to be more options but could find absolutely nothing.

The description from their site reads: "Ajax chat is the perfect solution for general community chatting, online moderated interviews, customer support or any other use you might need, whether you need to communicate with a single person or hundreds."

Online moderated interviews? Basic features you'd assume were there for "moderated" chat like ban/kick users? Not there. Moderator only speak for "online moderated interviews"? Not there. So the purpose for which I bought X5 Ajaxchat, online MODERATED interviews, is totally out of the question. There are just ZERO…I repeat, ZERO features for admins to control anything about this package much less hold moderated chat.

Another annoying "feature" they don't tell you about is whatever page you publish it on WILL throw up a modal login box that you CAN'T close until you log in as a guest or user. Seriously, there's no close option and you cannot turn this "feature" off. Consequently, if you want to use it as a chat box under a live streaming video (another reason it was purchased) or other presentation where chat is optional…you're out of luck. Again, you cannot do anything on the parent page the chat mod is published to until you log in. Period. There's just no way to close the modal login box or disable that "feature" outside of hacking the code which, considering the total lack of any other basic features, seems a waste of time.

Last but not least, I kinda thought once I purchased the subscription there might be a support forum or page with documentation made available…something…anything…but nope, there's nothing.

So in short, don't make the mistake I did by judging this pretty book by its fancy cover. Don't assume there has to be more to it than the frontend demo on their site. There's not. Don't assume it can do anything it says it can do other than "type your chat line, press enter". It can't.

If you just want an insanely basic chat/private message mod…this might be your baby. It does look great and what little it does, it seems to do well. Just don't expect it to have any (and I seriously mean ANY) of the basic admin features of a chat application you'd expect from a commercial package.
2011-09-14
Reviews: 6
We use this chat-module and are very happy with it. Simple to install, easy to configure und the support is really great. I had some questions, that were answered in a very short period of time.

I think, this chat-module is really fine and the price is okay.
2011-08-17
Great, I think one of the best chat module out at right now. Worth every penny and the support response is great.

Easy to install & Configure.
2011-06-20
Reviews: 16
It's really neatly done and installs very easily
Can't wait to make a few rooms

Love it

Thanks
2011-06-13
Reviews: 2
First off, this extension is fantastic. It works amazing, and looks amazing. There is nothing more to say than that.

Ivan is also one of the most helpful people I have encountered. I had some problems with Jquery conflicts and a few more complex things to make this work on my site. Ivan solved all of the problems and did so in a shockingly timely manner. I would tell anyone to buy this. It works far better than any free chat component and looks fantastic.
2011-05-06
I am truly blown away by this. Not only is the plugin excellent, the support I received for getting it set up and tailored to work with my Joomla/JomSocial site was by far the best support I have ever received from a software provider, hands down!
2011-03-25
Worth every penny! Excellent support! I really mean it :)

Thanks Ivan!