The Joomla! Extensions Directory ™

Ninjaboard Popular ComponentModulePluginExtension Specific Addon

Ninjaboard marks a new generation in native Joomla forums, it is one of the easiest to use, yet most powerful forums and without a doubt the best looking one! Say goodbye to buggy, hard to use, ugly, table based forums forever.

Key features
-------------------
* Totally new codebase takes advantage of modern coding practices for less bugs, higher security, and best of all greater ease of use.
* Codename "Chameleon" auto-skinning engine, adapts the look and feel of your forum to any Joomla! template making it look fantastic without any hacking.
* Powerful permissions system. Create custom usergroups, and optionally assign users to multiple usergroups. Decide who see's what with ease.
* Integrates with Joomla! core. Users, Search, Breadcrumbs, Localization, SEF and more. No more confusing, ugly "do it yourself" solutions like other forums.
* Update Ninjaboard right from the dashboard. Allowing you to keep your site up to date, even when you're on the go.
* Access control over different forums.
* Topic icons by Parthiban Mohanraj (http://bit.ly/Tf9Y), exclusively for Ninjaboard (http://ninjurl.com/PNTWB) .
* Backend fully MooTools 1.2, frontend use jQuery 1.5 to avoid javascript conflicts with templates.
* Clean HTML output, no tables for layout! Switch avatar location or change anything without hacking any templates
* Supports Joomla! html layout overrides. Meaning you can customize at will if you want to. (but it looks so good out of the box no one needs to...)
* Built in converters. Currently supports Kunena 1.6, phpBB3 (bridged) and Ninjaboard 0.5. More coming soon!
* Sample data is optional, and imported on the same screen you import data from other forums. So you can get started right away.
* Multiple settings profiles. Optionally assign profiles to menu items. Meaning you can have multiple *different* forums on one site. No other forum does this!
* Beautiful and intuitive UI. Setting up a forum has never been this simple or fun.
* Customizable dashboard. Two module positions at your disposal for forum stats or notifications.
* Built to take advantage of the new Nooku 0.7 framework.

Chameleon template engine
-----------------------------------------
Ninjaboard comes with a game-changing template engine, which supports a new technique called 'auto-skinning'.
It's capable of blending with any template you install in your site and simply takes on the style of your site.

Unparalleled extensibility
------------------------------------
As a direct result of using Nooku Framework, everything in Ninjaboard's code can be manipulated, extended and changed in any way you want and anywhere you like without hacking anything.

Requirements
----------------------
* PHP 5.2.0 or later.
* MySQL with MySQLi PHP extension. (mysqli means "MySQL improved", gives access to new features in MySQL 4.1 and above).
* MySQL v5.0.41 or later.
* Suhosin users need to add tmpl:// to their protocol whitelist.

Report Extension

Images

2013-03-12
Reviews: 5
A great extension that's simple, easy to use, and integrates well with Joomla and themes.

Beware that they say on their website that the version for Joomla 2.5 is in beta mode and has been that way for quite awhile now. But, I decided to go for the beta version because I know enough of what I'm doing to fix things if needed. But no fixes were needed, it worked nearly flawlessly.

There is only a light and dark theme, which I didn't realize were the only themes, but they worked well with my website theme anyway. The "rounded" versions don't work on IE, but that's just because IE is so behind times with CSS standards.

The plugin is really easy to install, setup, manage, and it integrates with Joomla's core very well. I didn't have to modify much code, so I don't know how well it's written, but it seems to work well and beautifully integrated.

Overall a great simple forum if you're not looking for something with a lot of bells and whistles.

It also has great functionality for creating private forums, which was essential for me.
2012-09-02
Ninjaboard has a huge potential, but right now I would say it is not suitable for everyone, for two opposite reason.

1) Joomla newbies: the Chamaleon engine is very powerful, but as every automatic process it could lead to unexpected results (or your template could be unsuitable for it). You have to try it in order to find out the result, you could need to write your own css directives or modify your template (or ask support to the team, which is great)

2) Advanced user: many features have to be added in Ninjaboard to fit advanced requirements: Lock/unlock forum, set a sticky post on top, insert ads between the posts, integrate a captcha system (you can use third party extensions, but I would prefer an integrated solution), a forum search engine (there is a plugin to integrate results in native Joomla engine, but I don't use that native search!), a forum menu item for profile management (I could not find in the backend) to and so on.

To make it short, you have to try Ninjaboard to find out wheter it fit your needs or not. It is very easy to install and manage, the look and feel is great and if Chamaleon loves your template, it will perfectly merge you look&feel.

I'm really looking forward for 1.2 version, I'm sure it will fill many gaps
2012-08-29
Reviews: 2
All I have to say is that it installed flawlessly, worked perfectly and is as described by the authors.
Five stars without a doubt.
2012-07-01
Reviews: 1
Not only are all of Ninja Forge products beautiful and slick, but the support they provide is excellent. I had issues with the Ninja forum beta version for 2.5 and John Bartels went into my site and got everything working, no charge. Ninja Forge Rocks!
2012-05-27
Reviews: 3
Needing a forum for one of my sites, I downloaded Ninjaboard because it claims to be "one of the easiest to use". I was slightly worried by the multiple references to Jomsocial compatibility issues, but since I have neither Jomsocial nor CB installed on the site I thought all would be fine.

I have developed several Joomla sites over the last couple of years, using many different extensions for various applications - I'm not a complete novice. Unfortunately this is the first time I have come across a major extension (free or not) which simply did not work out of the box. It installed like a breeze, no issues with the install, but when I came to try and set up the config in the backend, not a single one of the screens had any kind of "save" button! Thinking I must have done something wrong in the setup, I thought I would check the documentation. Oops, there isn't any documentation! There is a short pdf file published by a 3rd party which deals with some setup tasks, but this was no help in my case. A quick email to ninjaforge was promptly replied to, but the reply (containing as it did the implication that "Ninjaboard is fine" and there must be something wrong either with my webserver, or with my Joomla setup, or with one of my other extensions), was really no help.

Disappointed, I downloaded another very popular free forum extension. I originally avoided this "other" extension because some of the reviews claimed that it was complex and difficult to setup. I had it working perfectly, fully configured, within 30 minutes.

Having read about the compatibility issues with Jomsocial, and now with my missing "save" buttons, it seems to me that Ninjaboard needs some attention from the developers.
Owner's reply

We're sorry that Ninjaboard did not work on your server.

As mentioned by the support person you communicated with, it is likely that it was an issue of compatibility.

You assert that this is a problem with the extension, using the fact that every other extension you use works flawlessly as evidence to support your assertion. That is of course, a fallacy.

Say you have a Joomla 1.0 website, and install nine Joomla 1.0-compatible extensions on it before installing one Joomla 2.5 extension. Of course, the Joomla 2.5 extension will not work, and it would be silly to claim that the extension is somehow at fault, when it is clearly incompatible with the software you are trying to install it on.

Likewise, you might have installed 10,000 Joomla extensions on your website that worked flawlessly, but if Ninjaboard doesn't work on your server, you cannot extrapolate from that that Ninjaboard is broken.

Ninjaboard is not broken, it is just incompatible with your server.

We will not make Ninjaboard compatible with every server out there, for doing so will mean polluting the code and removing features that make Ninjaboard what it is. We'd prefer to remain cutting-edge and take advantage of new technologies rather than produce code written for ancient releases of PHP.

Thanks for trying Ninjaboard. Hopefully we will win you back in the future :)

2012-02-08
Reviews: 12
Although I found a minor bug which is to be fixed in a future release, I give this extension a 5-star rating for its ease of installation, quality programming, functionality and support.

Looking forward to the next release for the minor bug fix (related to unsubscribing from topics/forums)

Keep it up!
2011-12-15
Disable plugin xyz

Install new plugin abc

Conflict with this, conglict with that, I read 10 hours of their forum just to end up installing another forum component.
Owner's reply

The install problems almost all stem from Jomsocial which inserts its own javascript code into every page - including ajax calls. This is what causes the problem.

We can't stop or control this except by asking people to disable the Jomsocial plugins temporarily. Once installed, you can re-enable the plugins.

About 1% of the issues reported aren't Jomsocial, but it the same situation - bad code from an other extension interfering with the Ninjaboard installer.

Our code however is well written as it doesn't interfere with any other extensions. We are always willing to come out to your site and handle the process for you if you like. You only need to ask.

2011-10-26
After a few days of back and forth with the staff over at Ninja Forge I have only one complaint. Why can't I donate???

The installation was a breeze, even for a neophyte, and it was up and running in only a few moments. Better yet, since the CSS stands on it's own, I was able to manipulate it so I could have my larger icons. A definite bonus!

The integration with RocketTheme's Refraction template was seamless and easily allowed for the use of the Presets of the template. Ninja Forge's Chameleon theme allowed Refraction to do what it is intended for, allow the user to chose their own color options. Only if other developers of Forum plgu-ins could have such a tight integration with an installed template things would go much smoother.

John B. has a cup of coffee (or whatever he wants) the next he's around. An item high on my wish list was the usage of emoticons and a BBS style tool bar which is under development and a back-end set of tools for managing topics and postings.

My only complaint; there is no method in use to donate-to-the-cause. The plug-in warrants it!!!
2011-10-25
Reviews: 4
I just can't believe the good reviews here. Ninjaborard just will not install on Joomla 1.5.23. On the forum there are lots of people with the same problem and the only solution that is given, is to unpublish all your plugins (except for a few). Yeah right. Make an installer that just does the job!
Owner's reply

This is unfortunately a copy of another reply, as the problem and solution is the same:

The install problems almost all stem from Jomsocial which inserts its own javascript code into every page - including ajax calls. This is what causes the problem.

We can't stop or control this except by asking people to disable the Jomsocial plugins temporarily. Once installed, you can re-enable the plugins.

About 1% of the issues reported aren't Jomsocial, but it the same situation - bad code from an other extension interfering with the Ninjaboard installer.

Our code however is well written as it doesn't interfere with any other extensions. We are always willing to come out to your site and handle the process for you if you like. You only need to ask.

2011-09-21
Reviews: 10
Having tried all of the other Forum Extensions I thought that I would have to revert to phpBB, and end up with not have a forum looking like part of my website. I then uploaded NinjaBoard, and although I experienced an initial problem activating part of the extension their support was "second to none", and the problem was soon solved.
A great free extension and fantastic free support, so many thanks guys!
2011-08-12
If you can appreciate quality software and free PREMIUM support read on.
I choose my software carefully by looking at the support forums behind each piece of software first and NinjaForge looked impressive. This is my second build but third Joomla site management.
The install went smoothly and was almost ready out of the box with little configuration to go through, although there are plenty of configuration options should you want to go further but without being swamped by needless options, quite simply, perfect.
The NinjaBoard Chameleon template saves a lot of hassle and has the board look like it came with your default template . This saves a lot of hassle and alleviates that sinking feeling when installing other forum software and knowing at first sight that there is a reasonable amount of .css work to do.
As for support NinjaForge were nothing short of superb. I had a very small coding issue that was born out of my Joomla template which upset IE8 when looking at the NinjaBoard. This was resolved professionally, promptly and with such politeness I wish NinjaForge offered interns so I could send some family members there!

I really can't see any cons with this add on. I have used Coppermine patched which was a headache and tried Kunena which in default looked like a forum for a childcare store and hence never installed confidence in me. NinjaBoard just looked right, sounded right and by god it turned out to be just what I wanted.

A big thank you to Mark, John B & the Cap'n over at NinjaForge. You all came up to and exceeded my expectations. Thank you.
2011-08-10
Reviews: 4
This is by far the best Forum Component i have ever found,, I find this amazing and the theme that embeds it to a joomla template as if it was tailor-made.. Thimbs up to the develper
2011-08-04
After trying other forums, this one in simple, beautiful and fast.
It has an auto update option which is very useful.

The best part is the support!!
I haven't seen something like this.
All my question were answered quickly and professionally.
I really like this forum and the support is the best I know.
(Remember - it's FREE).
Don't hesitate - install this forum and have your forum up and running in 5 minutes.

Thank you John Bartels for your kindness!!!
2011-08-02
Reviews: 1
this is nice component for Forums. and for those who have RTL website.. it is supporting 100%... lovely staff...
well done,,
2011-07-20
Was a long long time since i start my search for a good forum component for joomla, and that ends with Ninjaboard, sincerely, i think this is the best forum component, is free, and the support of ninjaforge team is simply great, my best to ninjaforge and thanks a lot for this great job.

sincerely, Mauricio Vuljevas.
2011-07-14
this is a great forum as the chameleon functionality integrates the look of the forum seamlessly with the rest of my site. i used to have kunena but the look stuck out like a sore thumb. i used agora, kunena, ccboard before but i found ninjaboard suited the needs of my community the best. it may not necessarily have all the bells and whistles of some of the older BBs yet but its always updating and with CB integration in the works, this will be the best forum out there.

The best part of ninjaforge is the support u get with their extensions. One of my fears with all extensions i use is the amount of support going forward (especially if i have to pay). i have had many issues in the past with conflicts with my templates and other third party extensions and have always been pleased with their support. Unlike other support forums i have seen, Mark, Stian, John and the rest of the guys always answer promptly (whether the question is complex ot newbie)and they went above and beyond to help.

so well worth every cent of subscription!

keep up the good work Ninjas!
2011-07-08
Love this component. Have used a few before. This one is simple / stylish and adaptable. I use with Rockettheme templates - looks great on iPhone too. Coulndn't be more pleased. Thank you Nooku.
2011-06-28
Well it took me long enough to get around to posting my reviews but here i am. NinjaBoard is the choice for quality forums on your Joomla site, very easy to use, configure and looks nice on the site. Great job by the developers and keep up the good work, we do appreciate it out here, i do anyway:-)
Regards,
Happy User
2011-05-24
I tried several other message board components before this one and I just have to say that this component is really great. It installed without any problems and I had it setup and ready to go in no time at all. It truly is a chameleon as it blended in with the site so well you would think I had customized the CSS. After I realized that I needed to turn on the plugin for the Search feature, it also works perfectly with the core SEARCH already on the website.

The only thing I looked for and could not find was a link for users to modify their profiles. After you have created at least one post, you can click on your name and that takes you to your profile where you can edit your avatar and other info, but there is no other way to get to it (that I could find). Still, the component is so awesome that was not a deal breaker for me and I'll look for it in future upgrades.
2011-03-25
Pros: Easy to install & configure
Con: It got buggy when I tried to delete a post that was install by the sample. It either timed out or gave me an internal sever issue (400). Which due to a strict time frame Im working on I didnt bother troubleshooting the issue so I uninstalled Ninjaboard.
So Im giving it 4 out of 5 because I feel even though from the demo its a wonderful forum but from an out of the box perspective it should run the same way... Smoothly!
Page 1 of 3