* Totally new codebase takes advantage of modern coding practices for less bugs, higher security, and best of all greater ease of use.
* Codename "Chameleon" auto-skinning engine, adapts the look and feel of your forum to any Joomla! template making it look fantastic without any hacking.
* Powerful permissions system. Create custom usergroups, and optionally assign users to multiple usergroups. Decide who see's what with ease.
* Integrates with Joomla! core. Users, Search, Breadcrumbs, Localization, SEF and more. No more confusing, ugly "do it yourself" solutions like other forums.
* Update Ninjaboard right from the dashboard. Allowing you to keep your site up to date, even when you're on the go.
* Access control over different forums.
* Topic icons by Parthiban Mohanraj (http://bit.ly/Tf9Y), exclusively for Ninjaboard (http://ninjurl.com/PNTWB) .
* Clean HTML output, no tables for layout! Switch avatar location or change anything without hacking any templates
* Supports Joomla! html layout overrides. Meaning you can customize at will if you want to. (but it looks so good out of the box no one needs to...)
* Built in converters. Currently supports Kunena 1.6, phpBB3 (bridged) and Ninjaboard 0.5. More coming soon!
* Sample data is optional, and imported on the same screen you import data from other forums. So you can get started right away.
* Multiple settings profiles. Optionally assign profiles to menu items. Meaning you can have multiple *different* forums on one site. No other forum does this!
* Beautiful and intuitive UI. Setting up a forum has never been this simple or fun.
* Customizable dashboard. Two module positions at your disposal for forum stats or notifications.
* Built to take advantage of the new Nooku 0.7 framework.
Chameleon template engine
Ninjaboard comes with a game-changing template engine, which supports a new technique called 'auto-skinning'.
It's capable of blending with any template you install in your site and simply takes on the style of your site.
As a direct result of using Nooku Framework, everything in Ninjaboard's code can be manipulated, extended and changed in any way you want and anywhere you like without hacking anything.
* PHP 5.2.0 or later.
* MySQL with MySQLi PHP extension. (mysqli means "MySQL improved", gives access to new features in MySQL 4.1 and above).
* MySQL v5.0.41 or later.
* Suhosin users need to add tmpl:// to their protocol whitelist.
Maybe for larger forums with an intenser activity, a search field would make it even better. Still, five stars!!!
I'd also like to commend the Mark and Stian. They are always on top of helping you with Ninjaboard whenever necessary and respond quickly if any issues occur. They have it fixed in no time and are willing to take time to go into your site personally and rectify the situation.
Awesome service from these guys. Their forum is also incredibly helpful.
I would absolutely recommend this extension to any and all Joomla users. Novice or expert, it's sure to add a service to your site that you won't be able to live without afterwards.
Thanks again, guys. Appreciate all the work you do!
I was searching for a good looking free forum that was easy to upload and install and intuitive to use, if it was feature rich that would be an added bonus.
Ninjaboard ticked all those boxes and the support answered within minutes.
I don't think I've ever been quite as happy with a Joomla product as this one.
It's still in early stage of developing but already very stable, I'm looking forward to the new features that coming in the near future.
Also one of the best supports out there, Mark and Stian are always there to help and will go that extra mile to take a look at your site individually, if you have an issue.
i) Ability to upload your own icons for different forum sections etc.
ii) In-editor previews of posts
iii) Fantastic support - the support folk will bend over backwards to help sort out issues for you - even if they are caused by things out of their control such as the template you are using, or other modules. A real personal touch - becoming quite rare!
You don't need the confirmation email. You can log in immediately after creating your account.
Given that we all live in different timezones, 12 hours ago happened to be the middle of the night for most of us, which is why support may have been delayed.
Usually we respond to support issues within a couple of hours.
The MySQL requirements are set by the Nooku Framework that we use for NB. It hink it is a little unfair to mark NB down because your host doesn't meet the minimum requirements. Mysql is currently at version 5.5.8, so 5.0.x is quite old.
1. permission: I want to disable the users from posting the new topic. I did this by choosing "No access" for Topic, Post and Attachment. However, the "New Topic" button still displayed but after clicking it, the page show nothing. I suggest that the "New Topic" button should not be displayed if there is no permission.
2. cancel button: when posting the new topic, the cancel button works fine with the sample content. However, after creating my own content which is not English, the cancel button redirect to 404 page. It seems that the forum has some issue with non-English language topic title.
To conclude, the forum has a very good look because it integrate with the existing look and feel of Joomla. However, it still lacks of some usability issues.
Thank you for using Ninjaboard.
I'll try to respond to your issues here, but strongly urge you to contact us via the NinjaForge forum; Two of the issues you mention could have been resolved if you had done so earlier.
1. Permission: This is the first we've heard of this issue. The "New Topic" button will always show. This is a usability feature. Clicking on it will either create a new topic, or take you to the Login Page if you aren't logged in already. I'm not sure why you are getting an error page, but we have thousands of other users and no reports like yours, so it might be something unique to your website. We would love to help you fix this.
2. Cancel Button: This sounds like a bug but we've never gotten a report of this before. We know of numerous non-English forums (Greek, Russian, Chinese, etc) running on Ninjaboard, so this might again be an isolated issue. If you would be kind enough to help us replicate it, we would love to fix it.
3. WYSIWYG Editor: Most WYSIWYG Editors for Joomla (JCE, etc) are too powerful and while adding support for them would be easy, we think it would be irresponsible to do so because of the security implications. Users who don't know better might inadvertently give their users too much access and end up getting their sites compromised. We are definitely going to be adding a WYSIWYG Editor (probably in Ninjaboard 1.2), but it will be bbcode powered, not one of the existing Joomla ones.
Thanks again for the review; We appreciate your feedback and hope to see you on our forum soon, so we can help you with the issues you're faced with.
I've been testing and following Ninjaboard since the earlier beta releases and have enjoyed watching it develop. Installation has always been a breeze, importing data from other forums like Kunena couldn't be easier and the admin interface is both clean and not overpowering. Don't be caught off-guard by the seemingly simple admin interface, it's noting less than advanced and doesn't try and impress you by overpowering the layout with all of the options presented on one screen.
The Chameleon theme is a designer's dream. It is a true self adapting theme that blends itself nicely with your site template. It's power not only lies in its visual abilities, but also allows you to optionally set custom code (tags, classes, ids) to be used for some of the forums elements, such as the cancel button.
The Usergroups settings rivals the power and flexibility of Joomla 1.6's ACL. It is an amazingly powerful access control feature that allows you fine granularity. Most users won't need to touch it, but it is good to know that it's there. Plus, the user interface for mapping Joomla user groups is really cool.
To me, Ninjaborad is the forum of the future and I'll be using it everywhere I can.
It was difficult to find a FREE, sophisticated forum to seamlessly integrate into my website---Ninjaboard does. This application is a shining example of what Gnu applications can be: user-friendly, admin-friendly, aesthetically sharp (without over-stylization), multi-featured, and intuitive. I would highly recommend it to anyone who wants a dynamic forum, which operates and assimilates flawlessly.
My only (teeny tiny) issue, is the apparent lack of image options. If there is a way to upload custom avatars, I can't see out how to do it. But maybe I haven't looked hard enough (the website's not yet ready to go live, so I have some time to figure it out).
Great job, Ninjas! Thank you!
Thanks for your kind words.
We don't have a custom avatar gallery feature yet.
But we would be happy to discuss it in our forums with you
Only complaint is that my client would like to limit how many e-mails he receives notifying of new posts, and this extension doesn't seem to have that capability. Other than that, great extension!
If NinjaBoard can add an image gallery tied to the post preview process, then I think they would move ahead of Kunena at that point. Right now, you have simple text and linking abilities.
Keep up the great work Ninja!
This is the ONLY forum currently supporting conversion from ccboard! wtg guys.
No other forum allows external editors (as far as I know anyway), for the same reasons.
And when I had issues, Stian stepped in and helped me out without hesitation. Thanks!
Chameleon feature is a killer of course, provided you have a proper template of course. User group management is plain sexy.
So… Highly recommended.