It's a forum with a basic feature set + some cool stuff that you might have looked for. Best of all, it's free so just go and check it out.
Changelog Discussions 1.6.1:
- This a security release which fixes an issue in the private messages
Changelog Discussions 1.6:
- Comments for Joomla! articles
- Location tagging for forum posts (incl. so called thread maps)
- Smart Search plugin (experimental)
Changelog Discussions 1.5:
- Joomla! 2.5 (and J1.7) only! (no J1.5 version)
- Private Messaging built-in
Changelog Discussions 1.4.1:
- This a security release which fixes an sql injection vulnerability.
Changelog Discussions 1.4:
- Added basic ACL support (Configure/Access component) (J1.7)
- Select to display username or name in the frontend
- Solved a backend name conflict with other extensions
- Replies now have a h4 tag
- Login row ("Please login or register") now optional
- Added Google+ field in user profile
- Code for social media buttons and HTML boxes now have an own dashboard tab
- Added index.html to all directories to make it JED compliant
- Bug fixes and optimizations especially for the Joomla! 1.7 version
Some of the features:
- Built-in private messaging
- User profile with avatar, signature, city, country, Facebook, Google+, Twitter and more
- Image upload (show as browser popup, Slimbox, RokBox)
- AEC support. Configure which AEC plans are allowed to upload images
- Flickr images embedded in posts (jump to flickr or view in Slimbox)
- YouTube videos embedded in posts
- Language files for frontend and backend. English and German included.
- SEO settings. Overwrite standard settings for title, description and keywords
- Configurable date and time format
- Rookie mode. Configure how many posts of a new registered user will be moderated
- Send email to Moderators if a moderated user or rookie writes a post
- Boxes for social media code (e.g. Twitter, Facebook,...) below thread title
- HTML boxes at the top and bottom of the pages e.g. for banner code
- Places for forum specific banners (top and bottom)
- Private forums. Only visible for moderators
Visit the community forum: https://www.codingfish.com/forums
BTW There you can see Discussions in action.
I primarily develop Discussions for my own online community italobikes.com where it handles around 10.000 users and more than 240.000 posts so you can be sure that it works. I give it away for FREE but I do NOT give support.
Achim Fischer aka Codingfish
1/ works immediately, no complications in settings.
2/ is gathering the features of a FORUM and of a PMS (private message system).
I am replacing the two big components KUNENA and uddeIM by DISCUSSIONS.
Recommended for light and lean websites.
I have to give it the fact it DOES WORK, although It's taken me days to make it into what I wanted it to be.
There's room for a lot of improvement.
Thank you for sharing, anyway.
Simple, I'll give it that also.
But, lacks support and documentation. Good luck getting a response on their official forums for support.
Needs a User Group Access feature. As it is, by default, you have only two group to set access levels by and nothing else. Not configurable any other way.
Need something inbetween this extension and Kunena.
It's a great simple forum. The only forum tools that seem current are this one and Kunena. Ninja board is not ready for 1.7 and I could not get it working in 1.5. CCboard seems abandoned by the developer.
My only concern is that this project might not last more than 2 years, and some websites desire forums that archive messages for 5+ years. People might join Achim to grow his tool, as the need is there.
I'd change the name to fishforum or ezforum or something fun.
Discussions is an absolute surprise for me and I've been using it for a little while and will continue to do so, because:
1. It very simple for members to use, and
2. it fits seamlessly into templates with minimal modification, which for me is a big plus.
Downsides are that I'm not that keen on how there's no link to take you back to the main forum index, you're stuck in a forum category.
A small price to pay for an awesome piece of kit. Many thanks and congrats on a great product :))