The Joomla! Extensions Directory ™

Kunena Popular ComponentModulePluginExtension Specific Addon

Editor's Note
Kunena is the leading Joomla forum component. Downloaded more than 3,750,000 times in nearly 6 years, Kunena is the only forum/discussion solution for Joomla that is community driven - true open source - public self-help forums, GitHub and documentation Wiki.

The most recent stable release, recommended for production websites running J! 2.5 and J! 3.x, is Kunena 3.0.5

Details about Kunena 3.0.5 are contained in the release notes at http://www.kunena.org/docs/Kunena_3.0.5_Read_Me

For more details about the extent of Kunena features see http://www.kunena.org/docs/Kunena_Features

Report Extension

Images

2009-08-27
Reviews: 5
Very nice it installed off the bat with no errors.

The interface is nice and simple.

One thing I wonder about though, is why it is not possible to delete the default post: Welcome to Kunena!

Well, eventually I deleted it and raised another Welcome & Presentation Thread.
2009-08-27
Reviews: 3
I used Fireboard on an old site and was reasonably pleased although there we some little things I did not like.... Kunena is simply great... The forum is active and any issues are answered quickly. It seems like Kunena has a great future...

Simple integration with Jomsocial..
2009-08-06
Reviews: 8
I was looking for a forum extension compatible with CB. I tryed Kunena and I got very satisfied.

For sure they deserve any donations to help them keep doing this very good work.

Brazilian Hello for everybody.
2009-07-28
Reviews: 1
I recently rebuilt and re-launched a membership site that has been running succesfully for a few years with Fireboard and CB. With the new version of the site, I wanted only 1.5 native, CB aware and integration without all the hacking I've had to do in the past.

I originally chose Agora, it looked ok, and seemed to offer what I wanted, but I tried to update two days ago, and no matter what I did, it just refused to install. Finally I was left frustrated with a broken site.

After spending two days dismantling the site, reconfiguring, clutching at straws and otherwise wasting time trying to make it install, I bit the bullet, deleted everything and installed fresh Kunena 1.5.4.

Wow! Impressed? Oh yes! It installed perfectly first time, configuration is easy. Refreshingly polite forum support is excellent, oh yes, and so is the on-line documentation/Wiki!

Considering the relative short time in development, this is an amazing implementation. There is no other choice, Kunena is the flagship for sites that need a Joomla 1.5 native forum/board.

I wish I had installed kunena first time round!

Well done and thanks for a great product!
2009-07-05
I spent several hours trying to get Agora to work due to install issues and several errors later I decided to do the sensible thing....

I tried Kunena and oh how I wish I done this first of all!

Great extension and keep up the great work.
2009-06-28
I've been using Fireboard and now I'll use Kunena. The component is simple enough to come with Joomla because I personally think CMS is the main part in a Joomla site not the forum. If you want the forum as the main part you should choose a standalone pack and a portal. So to the authors of Kunena, please keep it light and simple :).

Cons: Kunena needs more SEF! Joomla core SEF uses the alias of items to make SEF, which is a good way to manage SEF with unicode characters. Kunena of course shouldn't use alias because it would take more and more space. But I believe the authors might consider this point and come up with a solution.

Thank you and Good luck :).
2009-06-28
Reviews: 9
Tried Agora forum extension and got a ton of installation errors and it simply did not work (couldn't even create a forum), and it was supposed to be a stable release.
Then I found Kunena.
- Smooth installation
- Tons of built in features - no need for a bunch of additional plugins, which is more to manage
- Attractive and easy to navigate control panel
- Control over many options
- Up and going in 5 minutes
- Attractive frontend and easy to customize.

Great out of the box. Haven't used long enough to find any drawbacks or bugs, but no extension is perfect or will satisfy 100% of your needs. But, this one comes close. And, it appears that the Kunena team is very determined and aggressive. I feel that at their pace, they will easily surpass Agora and the rest in popularity.
I am using JomSocial and I like the fact that they are targeting JS for integration.

Thanks Kunena!
2009-06-19
Reviews: 3
Good looking, tons of options, excellent integration with the rest of shape5 template and modules.
Rating: Pure 10!
2009-06-16
I just installed 1.5.3 and it worked right out of the box. The support you receive from their website is top notch. Replies within minutes from experienced users or Staff themselves. Would recommend!
2009-06-08
Reviews: 2
I have seen a few forums for joomla but i prefer kunena the most.
Why becuase of many good features it have. Using kunena you dont have to hack or modify any core files. Just install and its ready to use. No integration bridges as it is made for joomla only. Very good support at the developer website in the forums, sometimes i get response in minutes. Its GPL and can be used accordingly. Its non commercial and a helping hand towards poor joomla users. Its under development and developing extensions are good to use. I dont see any shortcomings except one i.e. no html in posts.
Overall good extension.
2009-05-26
If you only need a very basic forum with basic permissions then this will do.

If you require complex user groups and permissions for a large forum with private areas and multiple administrators and moderators then you'd do well to test other components.

I've spent the two months testing different forum softwares and bridges for Joomla 1.5. For years I've been running a site based only on an SMF forum. When I launched my site I used JFusion to bring my forum and site together. JFusion is a nice alternative with frameless integration. It is only in RC status, but I have it working on a live site with thousands of users right now.

If you want to remain native to Joomla then I suggest testing out AGORA. I read that the next release is not far off. With that release it should be powerful enough to stand with software like SMF and phpbb3, in my opinion. If this is indeed the case, I will be switching to this component after the next RC... I also read that there are new design templates in development for it so the outdated look will be remedied.

Again Kunena fits the bill if you have a small forum, and your administration needs are minimal. Beyond that I would recommend testing other alternatives. JFusion and AGORA seem to be on a role. I know some will argue that Kunena has only been going for a couple months. But in that time I've watched two other options grow by leaps and bounds, all while providing top notch support in their forums.
Owner's reply

Thank you for your feedback. The Kunena Team is working hard to bring Kunena up to the standards of other standalone forum software like the ones you mentioned. We already have a pretty solid beta version that works natively under 1.5 and very high-traffic sites. Considering the rate of progress before the fork, we've made leaps and bounds in just a few months.

Please make sure you submit your feature requests and feedback via our forums so we can improve Kunena. We hope that you'll re-adjust your rating in the future if you find that it meets your forum needs.

2009-05-10
Be careful installing this. Worked fine and looked great but then it crashed and I got the error link cannot be accessed. I tried to uninstall and got the same link in the back end. So I manually uninstalled it voila crashed my whole site broke.

Backup your site before you install this.
Owner's reply

I'm sorry to hear Kunena caused a problem. It's imperative when trying a new extension to always backup your site. What you reported is first time I've heard of something like that. Did you try looking for help in our forums? Did you use the latest stable release? Frankly, with the little amount of info you given, it's very hard for us to believe this was Kunena's fault since it's the first time we've hear about issue like this.

2009-05-07
Reviews: 10
I have a new site and only had a few posts and was running Fireboard 1.0.4
I read the upgrade and the migration posts on the Wiki and just decided to uninstall Fireboard and install Kuenena.

I wasn't real concerened about loosing any posts so I just went for it.

I didn't loose anything. The settings stayed and i kept all my posts.

I very highly recommend this component!! *****
2009-04-22
The install and configuration of the 1.5 Native alpha was easy and straightforward. But it is non-functional currently. As the developer states, not ready for production systems.

1. When integrating with Community Builder, going to the forums generates PHP warning errors only.

2. In Forum Administration, clicking New takes you back to the main page. There is no way to add new categories.

But give the developers time. It will eventually be ready for prime time.
2009-04-21
Reviews: 6
Exactly what I was looking for, an excelent forum extension...! Very complete, and with and excelent CB integration.

Easy to install, and easier to configure it.

I had a little problem with forums creation that was solved in less than 5 minutes in the support forum. Excelent suppport team...!
2009-04-06
Best forum extension for joomla!, works great to needs. Setup was easy and manage your foum with this extension is really easy. Congratulations for your great work kunena team!
2009-03-24
Have installed this for about a month and it works fine. Very easy to install and manage.

The only improvement that I can think of is the editor. If it could be more user friendly, that would be great.

Big Thanks to the developer.
2009-03-23
Kunena has the potential to be the most featurerich and user friendly forum component for joomla.

Well thought functions, everything a user expects and ease of use are markable features of this Fireboard successor.

But currently it is only available as a legacy version and therefore i would never recommend to use it in a native environment: The price for switching to legacy just for an forum is to much for me.

I know that the friendly developers are working on this issue and i hope that they get out an native version soon because i really want to kick that phpBB3 into the trashcan.

Keep it on your watchlist but give it some time to get matured! If it comes out native, an "Excellent" rating will be fair.
2009-03-14
I have Fireboard on another site but thought I would try out the new Agora 3.0 andgot a MySql error right away. Kunena on the other hand looks great, works immediately and I don't have try and decipher illogical documentation as with Agora.
2009-03-12
Finally Joomla! as a forum software as good as Joomla! itself. So easy to use, great design and the support is excellent. I liked this software so much that I even had a version of SEF Advance developed just to work with it.
Page 11 of 12