- This extension has additional addons listed in an extension specific category.
- This extension inserts a backlink to the developer.
The most recent stable release, recommended for production websites running J! 2.5 and J! 3.x, is Kunena 3.0.6
Details about Kunena 3.0.6 are contained in the release notes at http://www.kunena.org/docs/Kunena_3.0.6_Read_Me
For more details about the extent of Kunena features see http://www.kunena.org/docs/Kunena_Features
If you're looking for a great community with lots of interaction with plenty of features to lure users back, kunena could be the worst forum ever for this.
Kunena is only a forum, therefore it completely relies on 3rd party addons to get things you would generally expect from a forum.
Relies on 3rd party pms. 3rd party pms has a different editor and different templating.
Profile page is completely not social and requires a 3rd party addon. Again, different templating.
No wysiwyg editor. Attachments still get uploaded one at a time.
Kunena is free and updated frequently but as far as forums go it could possibly be the worst forum available.
I found an older version of Kunena 1.7.2 (thanks to your support). I installed it and imported ccboard. It worked great. After that the upgrade to Kunena 2.0.2 And to was easy. All done in less the n2 hours.
By the way it looks great too.
The developers do a great job of upgrading it on a regular basis, and with the 'You can not go back' versions mean that once you upgrade you're stuck with it.
The component works straight 'from the box' as long as your box is Kunena shaped.
Should you get a bug or error then support is VERY slow and only comes from Kunena users, and the Kunena forum has so many "only post in the right category' you request for help will get moved and moved and maybe your never get an answer.
A good component is one that works 90% of the time and the other 10% comes from Support, Kunena has 2% Support.
It is interesting to read back in the reviews and note that in 2009 "This will become one of the best Joomla! Forums at all".
Well, in 2012 it still is having issues.
Good Support is just as important as a good component, maybe more.
However, what made me turn away from it, and what is NOT tolerable, is the absolutely horrid support. They have a few helpful mods, but for the most part, the majority are worthless.
And if I had to point to one single reason for me migrating my company from Kunena to Agora, it would be because of the support moderator named 'Sozzled'. His arrogant, brash, condescending attitude turned me away. I realize it's a non-commercial component, but that doesn't give them the right to treat people horribly... and they do.
Like I said, Kunena itself is not bad, but the support is where you'll find yourself standing all alone. Overall, support is important, and the Kunena team does very poorly in this area. Run, don't walk away from Kunena!! A MUCH better option is 'Discussions' or 'Ninja Board'. Kunena just isn't worth the hassle anymore.
Although not quite as extensive as phpbb or other forum solutions, Kunena has come a long way in its relatively short life span. The level of difficulty is medium I would say as you do need to know how to navigate Joomla fairly well to set up permissions correctly with User Groups and Access levels. Once set up, it works great though.
It also scales very good. If your site is slow, it is probably not Kunena that is slowing it down.
The only down side is that since it is a free developed component is that support can be somewhat limited outside of the standard features that it comes with. So, if you are looking to style and change internal features, you will either need to hire someone to do it for you or know enough coding skills to do it yourself.
One feature that is missing is the ability to see Unread Posts, which my users seem to constantly remind me about. Last but not least, there are not a whole lot of templates out there for K2.0 relative to other forum solutions.
Nonetheless, give it a little bit more TIME and Kunena WILL be the go to solution for Joomla forum software.
C'mon Kunena, step up your game. A WYSIWYG should have been integrated a long time ago. Until this is standard, Kunena gets only an average vote from me. Kunena is old and should be much more advanced that what it is. It still has a general antiquated feel, for some reason. Not nearly as advanced as some of the stand alones, like SMF.
I have to add too that the support, mainly from three or four different staff members, is rude, abrupt and condescending. Support gets zero starts, while the software itself is average.
in my opinion it stays just an average product because of an unacceptable weakness: lack of WYISWIG editor for rich text.
I can't find any excuse why in 2012 a forum user, who could be grandma, should deal with tags (bbcode or whatever) to get bold text or pictures in their posts.