The Joomla! Extensions Directory ™

Kunena Popular ComponentModulePluginExtension Specific Addon

Editor's Note
Kunena is the leading Joomla forum component. Downloaded more than 4,000,000 times in 6 years, Kunena is the only forum/discussion solution for Joomla that is community driven - true open source - public self-help forums, GitHub and documentation Wiki.

The most recent stable release, recommended for production websites running J! 2.5 and J! 3.x, is Kunena 3.0.6

Details about Kunena 3.0.6 are contained in the release notes at http://www.kunena.org/docs/Kunena_3.0.6_Read_Me

For more details about the extent of Kunena features see http://www.kunena.org/docs/Kunena_Features

Report Extension

Images

2012-06-04
Reviews: 1
Thanks for this great Component..keep it up for good work..
2012-05-10
Reviews: 2
As a fairly new joomla user (less than 3 months) I found this extension to be extremely easy to install and set up. This is the first time I have ever set up a forum and it was done in less than a day.
I am using Joomla 1.7 and beez5 template and it worked perfectly first time.
2012-05-09
Reviews: 5
easy to install, configure and interface with my joomla 2.5 site. within 2 hours i had it working exactly how i wanted on a closed site for members only access and its great. i needed a simple, joomla specific forum for a martial arts site amd this was just heaven, compared to phpbb and bridges.

well worth a download and does everything i need. happy chappy and without spending a bean. who can complain really?
2012-04-08
Reviews: 7
Use Kunena on the site for my extensions for some years now. It's a great forum component.

I have contributed a plugin (Write Control for Kunena) to the community to say thank you!

Keep up the great work!
2012-04-07
I don't know why you don't have an option to turn on/off the spam protection feature. My forum got about 30-40 spams each day and all registered user can post anything without any content filter or Captcha. The ReCaptcha works with guest only.
Owner's reply

Kunena has had a configuration option called "CAPTCHA Challenge for Users" for a few months, and we have implemented that in our site. The feature has been tested to be effective, but it doesn't stop all spam. Kunena 2.0 will also have "Moderate Guests / New Users", which allows moderators to check if the posts are spam before they get published. We are also planning other methods to prevent spam.

2012-03-12
Reviews: 3
My English might be not good.

I generally avoid writing reviews. But this is the extension which made me to do this. I'm not a new kunena user. I have used some old versions of kunena and not much attracted on the extension. So, I looked for a better one this time similar to PHPBB. Unfortunately i was reverted to the same extension since i cannot get the better. But while using the new version of this extension,I found lot of improvements that the developer has made. My client was really happy with this forum style...

Really an excellent work!
2012-03-04
Reviews: 6
The best and totally free forum component for Joomla! Has dozens of features, functions, configuration options, plugins and possibilities. Easy to install, configure and maintain. Devs provides great support same the community. There is probably nothing better than Kunena. It's absolutely must-have for any community-based Joomla website.
2012-02-24
Reviews: 10
I can't believe I've never written a review for this brilliant extension! We've been running Kunena to serve our community's forum needs for over a year now. Kunena replaced our aging (and crumbling) phpBB3 setup, which was becoming a nightmare to keep updated.

The first major benefit is the fact that Kunena is a Joomla extension. It's not a separate product which needs a bridge to keep the user profiles in sync. That fact alone was a God-send... keeping phpBB3 synchronized with Joomla was a constant chore.

Beyond that, Kunena comes with everything we need in a forum. When something is missing (like Private Message functionality), we can just add it with another extension (like uddeIM). It's super easy to upgrade, integrates perfectly with all the other extensions we use, and I've had nothing but excellent service from their support team.

In fact, I was so happy with Kunena, I ended up joining the team!

If you're looking to add a forum to your Joomla web site, avoid the headaches and pitfalls of a separate bridged forum software. Try out Kunena first and save yourself all kinds of time and effort.
2012-02-14
Reviews: 2
The only thing that makes this extension noteworthy is its integration capabilities with Joomla and various other 3rd party extensions. Other than that, there are far better forum software packages out there. IMO, the Kunena Team (less Sozzled) is far too “big-headed” regarding the success of their product and does not take well to suggestions or criticism - and if you have a problem or expose a bug, it’s always your fault. In that regard, it’s like dealing with a utility company as they know they have the monopoly on Joomla! (v.1.6+) Forum software. What Joomla! needs more than Kunena is a viable competitor to help keep their heads out of the clouds.
2012-02-14
Reviews: 33
I just started with the Kunena component and I must say that it is just perfect.

Thanks to the skinner.css file it is easy-peasy to embed it in an exsiting Jommla!-Template. Styling is quite easy and it works like a charm.

I am using this site for a social project and it is grat that this component is open source.

Thanks to all the developers.

Good, good job!

Rob van Linda
2012-02-12
Reviews: 4
Great forum extension. It's easy to setup, but has a lot of options to customize different pieces. I looked at other solutions and bridges, but this extension gets it done and is much easier to setup and manage.

The extension also integrates seamlessly with CB. Upgrading has also been a breeze. Thanks!
2012-02-11
Currently, Kunena is the only choice for joomla 2.5. It is very powerful and very rich. But his Achilles tendon is the users profile editor on frontend. There are a lot of incompatibility problems between some joomla templates and that profile editor. it can be solved easily, because some commercial templates kunena have removed this problem. But why not use a good default template for solves this problem once and for all. ? I think that kunena deserves it.

Sorry for my bad english
2012-01-28
Reviews: 11
No.1 Forum component for Joomla, easy to install and integrates seamlessly with Joomla, Community Build or Jomsocial.

Five Stars!
2012-01-28
Reviews: 8
While this isn't the easiest component to set up, once you get it going, its a great system. I found the hardest part was configuring the back end. After a few hours of tinkering though, I worked out all the bugs. The documentation is okay, but I rarely had to refer to it. I loved all the options and features that come out of the box for users on the forum. Most of my problems stemmed from a conflict with the built in captcha system. Since I had a captcha system already running in an ajax registration module, the captcha field wouldn't display on the forums. I ended up having to disable captcha in the forums in order to allow registered people to post. This wasn't too much of a concern since I already had spam protections for the registration process so I wouldn't consider this problem a deal breaker.
2012-01-27
This software receives glowing reviews, but i found it very difficult to publish on my site. Spending 3 days trying to resolve publishing and menu conflict issues, redirect loops and other error messages.

I downloaded the latest version to run with Joomla 1.7.3.
2012-01-24
A very powerful forum that is very easy to use, requires very little time to get working, looks great and your users will love it. At least that has been the case on my forum. I'm using version 1.7 and the integration with the latest version of JomSocial was painless.

My only wish is that the templates were modifiable from the backend when it comes to simple operations like header size. Also I wish there were more free templates to chose from but I'm sure that will come in time.

The support on the website seems quiet good and the communication is up to date from the moderators.

Nice bit of work.
2012-01-21
Reviews: 4
Best forum component for Joomla!.

Take it, you won't regret it!
2012-01-11
I didn't give it much time yet.
It installs smoothley and operates very well.
I see a huge control panel, with too many options and of course flexibility.
I needed a basic forum, so this one is far beyond my excpectations..
Anyone should try this, even if they don't need a forum, its amazing!!
2012-01-03
In today's online world, any respectable website which plans to offer a means of communication for their members, is likely to go the route of having forums. Forums are a great way for your members to interact with each other, while providing them at the same time, an incentive to come back to the site, which brings in more traffic. Fortunately, the Kunena team has provided Joomla users with a great forum solution which is currently being used on thousands of websites since the time of it's launch.

Kunena is the leading, and most popular forum component for Joomla. At a glance, this component offers site owners all the premium features that you would expect from any commercial forum software. Installation of the component couldn't be any easier with it's speedy automated installer. Upon installation you are quickly redirected to the main Kunena configuration panel, which displays for you all the features and settings you need in order to setup and customize the forum system to your liking.

One of Kunena's most notable features is the perfect and seamless integration into your Joomla system. Gone are the days when your users had to login to your site, and afterwards, do a separate login to access the forums. Once you are logged into your Joomla site, you are automatically logged into the forums, and vice versa. To top things off, you can visit the Kunena website and check out the KED (Kunena Extensions Directory) and download additional addons to extend Kunena more than it already is.

The guys at Kunena didn't forget about the social networking fans either. If you have the popular JomSocial or Community Builder component in your extension arsenal, Kunena offers complete and seamless integration into both extensions. If you choose to integrate your forums with JomSocial, whenever a member of your site makes a post in the forums, a quick snippet will appear in the JomSocial activity stream for all your site members to see.

Kunena also has a type of karma and thank you system, which lets users reward each other with points and recognition for making great or helpful post. In the case that you're are looking for a more sophisticated standalone solution, support and integration is offered for the popular referral user points system AlphaUserPoints, which awards your members points for posting on the forums.

One of the best things about Kunena is that its a community driven extension, which means it offers excellent support, and will likely be around for a very long time. In the case that you do run into a problem, the support team is usually very prompt in responding and assisting in getting it resolved. The developers also update the extension rather frequently, so it's security is top notch, and bugs are quickly fixed with each release.

In the end, Kunena ranks as a top notch forum component for Joomla users. With excellent premium features, perfect integration into other popular extensions, great security, outstanding support, frequent updates, and a non-existent price tag, its no wonder why Kunena is the best forum solution for Joomla to date.
2011-12-20
I have nothing to complaint for this plugin and it works very well with the latest JomSocial 2.4. It is nice and stable. It is above and beyond my expectation for a OS product. Can't thank the developer team enough for making Kunena available to Joomla community.
Page 4 of 13