The Joomla! Extensions Directory is a free service provided for the Joomla! community. This terms and conditions page describes the terms upon which you may access and use the Directory. By using our Directory, you affirm that you have read and accept all of the following terms and conditions, which may be updated by us from time to time without notice.
Joomla! is centered on Open Source software and other Internet and computer matters. Listings, reviews and content must not be used to promote ideological, religious, or political matters.
Open Source Matters may offer different levels of participation and benefits related to the Directory. Open Source Matters has the right, in its sole discretion, to set and revise rules concerning what benefits are offered to each level of participants. Open Source Matters may modify these rules at any time without notice by posting revised rules on our site. Your continued use of the Joomla! Extensions Directory constitutes your agreement to be bound by the rules as modified.
A - Ownership of Copyrights and Intellectual Property
You acknowledge that Open Source Matters or its content providers, own the copyright and all other intellectual property rights to the materials and reviews in the Directory unless otherwise expressly indicated. You agree not to copy, reproduce, download, disseminate, publish, or transfer content in any form or by any means, except with our prior written permission. You further agree not to collect any information from the Directory using automated means (e.g., spiders or scraping).
By providing content for the Directory or a review, you grant Open Source Matters a worldwide, irrevocable, royalty-free, non-exclusive and limited license to reproduce, edit, publish, translate, and distribute in any medium whatsoever. You represent and warrant that: (a) you are the author of such content or review and have the right to grant this license; and (b) the content or review does not infringe any patent, copyright, trademark, trade secret or other proprietary right of any other party.
C- General Site Usage
- All extensions, listings and developer sites must comply with the latest version of the Joomla! license.
- You must not violate or attempt to violate the security of the Joomla! Extensions Directory, interfere or attempt to interfere with the proper functioning of our Directory, servers or networks.
- You must not post, upload, email, link to, or otherwise transmit any content that contains any viruses, harmful code, or other computer software or program that may damage or adversely affect the functionality of the Joomla! Extensions Directory or impair others’ ability to use the Directory.
- You must not use the Directory to send unsolicited emails (spamming).
- You must not impersonate any person or entity or misrepresent an affiliation with another person or entity.
- Only one account is allowed per person. Users found having multiple accounts will have all extra accounts deactivated. Users found in repeated violation of this policy will have their account deactivated.
Any person or company is welcome to submit their extensions, tools or libraries for inclusion in the Joomla! Extensions Directory.
There are some basic rules that all extensions must comply with to qualify for inclusion in the Directory.
Failure to comply may result in removal from the Directory.
By submitting a listing to the Joomla! Extensions Directory, you agree to be bound by these rules.
D1. - listings general rules
- Listings must comply with Joomla! trademark and logo policies.
- Entries must be licensed as GPL in order to be listed, with the exception of the Tools category. Additional restrictions may not be placed on top of the GPL. Do note that the GPL does allow developers to charge for their products.
- The proposed listing alias name is the name of the extension/file as stated in the XML. Promotional text should not be part of the listing name.
- Entries will be listed in only one category. Assignment to a category is at the discretion of the Joomla! Extensions Directory team.
- The listing descriptions must be written in English only.
- Links in the entry must not result in redirection to an alternative URL.
- The project homepage link should link to the page that contains information about your listing.
- The file download link has to point straight to the download page, even if registration is required.
- Extension demo sites links must be to an actual demo of the extension, not to a production site;
- Files can not be hosted on shared file hosts. Developers for non-commercial entries are more than welcome to host their project at JoomlaCode.
- Developers must provide a working email address through which the Joomla! Extensions Directory team and Open Source Matters can contact them. Failure to respond to email from Joomla! Extensions Directory team members or Open Source Matters in a reasonable amount of time may lead to an extension being unpublished.
- 'Tools' category contains tools for creating and maintaining websites or for developing extensions. They are not meant to be installed or change core files in Joomla!.
- Extension specific listings for non-GPL extensions will not be listed.
- Translations for extensions will not be listed in the Directory. These should be sent to the developer of the extension for inclusion in the extension.
- The submission of a large number of listings at one time is not allowed without prior approval of the Joomla! Extensions Directory team. Approval is at the discretion of the Joomla! Extensions Directory team and and Open Source Matters.
- [rule under revision] Developers may not list extensions in their own extension specific category. Developers should rather promote the available extra features in their main listing. Rule Removed. ML15DEC10
- [rule under revision] Only accredited translations will be listed in the Translations for Joomla! category and in the Directory.
D2. Extensions, tools and libraries
- Extensions must comply with Joomla! trademark policies.
- An extension's XML file should contain the copyright and license tag and state it is licensed under the GPL.
- The file headers of an extension should contain a copyright notice and a notice that the file and extension is distributed under the terms of the GPL.
- A copy of the GPL needs to be included with the extension package. The copy of the GPL does not need to be installed with the extension.
- Extensions must have basic functionality. Basic functionality is to be determined at the discretion of the Joomla! Extensions Directory team and Open Source Matters.
- All extensions must be installable on the Joomla! platform. The only exception to this rule are the applications in the 'Tools' category.
- Extensions which alter any code must do so through the standard Joomla! install and uninstall process. Uninstalling should revert any changes made to the original code.
- Extensions may not 'call home' to function. Extensions are allowed to 'call home' to do version checks and other 'call homes' will be evaluated on a case by case basis. Acceptance of a method and/or function is at the sole discretion of the Joomla! Extensions Directory team and Open Source Matters.
- Extensions may not be commercially encrypted.
- Extensions may only solicit votes and/or reviews in the manner defined below.
- Extensions which are forks must comply with the forking policy listed below.
D3. Developer Sites
- Sites must comply with Joomla trademark and Logo policies.
- Sites must state that the extension is licensed as GPL.
- Extension home and demo sites must not contain content that is libelous, defamatory, fraudulent, misleading or that otherwise violates the legal rights of others (such as the right of privacy)
- Extension home and demo sites must not promote or engage in illegal activities.
- Extension home and demo sites must not contain content of an adult or sexually explicit nature.
- Sites may not imply in any way that inclusion in the Joomla! Extensions Directory constitutes endorsement by the Joomla! Extensions Directory, the Joomla! Extensions Directory team, Joomla! or Open Source Matters.
- Sites that redistribute Joomla! will not be listed for security reasons.
- Sites that host other developer's extensions will not be listed. [rule under review]
- Sites may only solicit votes and/or reviews in the manner defined below.
Additional informations to entries
- You are solely responsible for all content submitted to the Joomla! Extensions Directory. All developers must ensure that their listings are accurate and review or update their listing at least annually. We reserve the right to remove any content that we believe is out of date.
- Extension listings that infringe upon one or more of the criteria listed above will not be considered for inclusion in the Joomla! Extension Directory. In such cases the Joomla! Extensions Directory team may choose but is not obligated to inform the developer as to the reason for rejection.
- Rejected listings will be removed from the directory after a period of 14 days.
- Inclusion in the Joomla! Extensions Directory is a privilege, not a right and is at the sole discretion of the Joomla! Extensions Directory team and Open Source Matters. Any listing can be removed at any time at the discretion of the Joomla! Extensions Directory team without notice.
E- Promoting Your Extension Listing
This is an exception to the above rules on review and vote soliciting. Developers may promote their listing by using the following text:
"If you use [EXTENSION NAME], please post a rating and a review at the Joomla! Extensions Directory."
[EXTENSION NAME] is to be replaced with the name of the developer's extension and the text may be linked to the listing on the Joomla! Extensions Directory. To ensure fairness and accuracy in votes and reviews, deviation from this text is not allowed. Translations of this text into languages other than English are allowed as long as the meaning is exactly the same.
F- Extensions that Change from Non-Commercial to Commercial
Users tend to vote and review non-commercial extensions more favorably. To ensure fairness and accuracy in votes and reviews, all votes and reviews made before the change will be removed.
G- Extension Specific Categories
Extension specific categories can be requested by a developer but are created at the sole discretion of the Joomla! Extensions Directory team and Open Source Matters.
In general, extension specific categories are created when there are 5 or more extension specific listings for a specific extension created by a developer other than the one who made the main extension Rule Removed. ML15DEC10.
Developers cannot list any extension specific listing for any of their own extensions. However, developers are welcome to create extension specific listings for other extensions. Rule Removed. ML15DEC10
H- Extensions and Forks
An extension that is derived from another extension will only be listed under the following conditions:
- The original extension license allows this, or the current developer of the original extension has specifically authorized it if the license does not.
- The extension is renamed, so it is very clear that this is a separate project.
- A new version scheme, so it is clear that this is a separate project.
- Extension will be actively developed on.
If the original extension is listed on the Joomla! Extensions Directory:
- The fork will only be considered for listing if the original extension has been listed for more than 3 months.
- It will only be allowed when the extension has been changed by adding new functionality.The amount of functionality to be added is determined on a case by case basis and is at the sole discretion of the Joomla! Extensions Directory team and Open Source matters.
- Development of the extension follows it's own path, and will not be based on the original extension after listing.
I- Reviews and Voting
Any person is welcome to submit their review and vote for an extension listing. There are some basic rules that all reviews and votes must follow. By submitting a review to the Joomla! Extensions Directory, you agree to be bound by these rules.
A review is a serious examination of a person's experience with an extension which is presented on the Joomla! Extensions Directory. Praise, difficulties, or comparisons with other extensions are all valid parts of a review, including the reasons why.
- Reviews must be honest, unsolicited and uncompensated.
- Reviews should be courteous and not use offensive language and must be written in English.
- Self promotion, by creating unnecessary links to personal/business sites, should not be part of a review for an extension. Links will be removed from the review.
- A review is not a location for requests for support, feature requests or bug reports. Support questions, feature requests, and bug reports should be taken to the Joomla! Forum or the developer of the extension.
- A review is not the place to raise a commercial dispute with a developer. If you have a dispute with a developer, please contact the developer. If you believe that the editors need to be informed, you can contact the editors using the report button.
- While code contribution and patches are welcome, a review is not the location to post it. You should send code contributions and patches to the developer of the extension.
- Reviews are the opinions of the respective authors and not of Open Source Matters.
- A user account can only vote once per extension. Please do not vote until you've used an extension thoroughly, making sure you have configured it correctly.
- It is not allowed for a any person to solely rate an extension with the purpose of artificially inflating the rating or vote count.
- It is not allowed for the same person to have more than one account on the Joomla! Extensions Directory.
- It is not allowed for an extension developer to give votes to other extensions who are in competition for rating ranks, or to submit votes to extensions which offer similar functionality.
- An extension developer, his family and\or colleagues are not allowed to vote on extensions from that developer.
Additional informations to votes and reviews
- Acceptance of reviews and votes is at the sole discretion of the Joomla! Extensions Directory team and Open Source Matters. The Joomla! Extension Directory reserves the right, but not the obligation, to edit and moderate all reviews and votes to make sure their content is appropriate and accurate for publication on the Directory.
- Developers are more than welcome to respond to reviews using the review reply option. Review replies are subject to the same guidelines as reviews. After submission, the review reply will be accepted and published by a member of the Joomla! Extensions Directory team if it abides by the guidelines.
- If you believe that a review contains incorrect information, please contact the Joomla! Extensions Directory team using the Report Review button beside the review. If a review poses a problem in some way, the review will be pulled offline. An investigation will follow and after which the review will be kept offline or it will be put online again, as determined in our sole discretion.
We reserve the right, but not the obligation, to monitor the content of the Joomla! Extensions Directory to determine compliance with our rules. Any published listing that is found to be in conflict with the rules, as determined by the Joomla! Extensions Directory team in its sole discretion, will:
- Be immediately deactivated (unpublished).All of the developer's other extensions will also be deactivated.
- Depending on the violation, the developer may be allowed 14 days to rectify the problem.
- If no reply is received in 14 days, the extension will be permanently removed from the Joomla! Extensions Directory.
- All of a developer's extensions are to be unpublished for a minimum period of one month for the first violation.
- All of a developer's extensions are to be unpublished for a minimum period of three month for the second violation.
- All of a developer's extensions are to be unpublished indefinitely for the third violation. After one year, a developer may appeal the suspension. Appeals will be reviewed by the Joomla! Extensions Directory and Open Source Matters and does not guarantee termination of the suspension.
Exact suspension time is to be determined at the sole discretion of the Joomla! Extensions Directory Team and Open Source Matters.
Attempts to circumvent Directory suspension may, at the discretion of the Joomla! Extensions Directory team and Open Source Matters, result in a longer or permanent suspension from the Directory.
If you believe any listing or developer is violation of the rules, please either use the report function to report the listing or contact us using the information provided below.
Unless required by law, no personal information from Joomla! Extensions Directory members will be shared with third parties, unless this is the direct wish of said member. Open Source Matters will divulge any information collected from you when required to do so by law. In the event that Open Source Matters or substantially all of its assets are acquired, your information will of course be one of the transferred assets.
L- Disclaimers and Limitation of Liability
The listings and reviews listed in this area have been submitted by the community and are for general informational purposes only. Their listing does not constitute or imply endorsement, recommendation, or favouring by Joomla!/Open Source Matters.
Because the listings and reviews are provided by others, Joomla!/Open Source Matters, the Joomla! Project and the Joomla! Extensions Directory team cannot be held liable for the accuracy of the information. Visitors wishing to verify that the information is correct should contact the parties responsible for creating the content of the resource.
The information on this web site is presented "AS IS" WITHOUT WARRANTY OF ANY KIND. OPEN SOURCE MATTERS DISCLAIMS ALL WARRANTIES, WHETHER EXPRESS OR IMPLIED, INCLUDING THE IMPLIED WARRANTIES OF MERCHANTABILITY, FITNESS FOR A PARTICULAR PURPOSE, OR NON-INFRINGEMENT. IN NO EVENT SHALL OPEN SOURCE MATTERS BE LIABLE FOR ANY DAMAGES WHATSOEVER, INCLUDING, WITHOUT LIMITATION, DIRECT, SPECIAL, INDIRECT, CONSEQUENTIAL, OR INCIDENTAL DAMAGES, OR DAMAGES FOR LOST PROFITS, LOSS OF REVENUE OR LOSS OF USE, ARISING OUT OF YOUR USE THIS SITE, EVEN IF OPEN SOURCE MATTERS HAS BEEN ADVISED OF THE POSSIBILITY OF SUCH DAMAGES. Some jurisdictions do not allow the exclusion of certain warranties or limitations on liability. Accordingly, the above limitations may not apply to you.
We reserve the right at any time to modify, suspend or discontinue the Directory (or any part thereof) with or without notice, and we are not liable to you or any third party for any modification, suspension or interruption in services.
L1. Governing Law
Any dispute with respect to our Site shall be governed by the laws of the State of Maryland, excluding its conflicts of laws rules. All visitors to our Site submit to the exclusive jurisdiction of the state and/or federal courts of the State of Maryland.
M- Questions and Contact
You find additional help in the JED FAQs:
Any queries about these Terms of Service should be made in the Extensions Directory Forum or by mail at