List of features:
Option to let only registred users shout
Version 1.6 is now compatible with Joomla! 2.5. Note that there are different files for Joomla! 1.5 and 2.5.
Version 1.7 fixes a possible SQL injection
This shoutbox works fine, I use the beta version. But:
1/ I don't have smily icons under the inputbox. I only see the word 'Smilies?'
2/ Not registered users can put comments in the shoutbox. If I change the module to registered users only than it works but the not registered users can't see the shoutbox.
3/ When registered, the name of the registered person is not visible, only the word "name:" is seen.
Smiles once in view do not seem to hide unless the page is refreshed.
Does anyone know how to change the color of the text input box. Everything I tried didn't work.
All in all a very functional extension.
With all these balls up in the air, I need as little hassle as possible, and the best, easiest ways to do things.
This shoutbox code was one of those easy things. It installed quickly and was easily customizable. I put the module in right side in my sites, then added a second template for a center position for those who wanted to chat in a more determined way. It worked great in both positions.
I agree with the others that there are things that could be added, yet I find that the simplicity is very appealing, and it does the job quite well, as-is.
A couple things though:
1. So far I haven't found out how to get rid of the blue border around the entire sections of shouts.
2. I'd like to be able to allow Guests to only -view- the shoutbox and not post, and registered users be able to post. Otherwise this might lead to lots of spam.
But those are minor points ... great work!
1: Open the css file in your modules directory and the delete line 33 & 34
border: 1px solid #;
border-width: 1px 1px;
2: Beta has this option already :)
- Public / Registered member mode (option to choose who can shout
- Realname / username display
However, this beta version is not completed.
- No need to add code to template file
- Cannot install directly, you must install 1.02 first and replace all files with 1.1 (Don't complain, see author's instruction first)
- Smiley do not work
* Settings in admin needs to be cleaner.
* Maybe a button of some sort to turn on/off a "chime" for new messages.
And, my two biggest issues are these:
* If you reload the page entirely, you see the last 10 messages. Which is fine; however, I wish that I could either set a fixed height (vert scrollbar when necessary) and/or set how many messages will stay on the page without reloading. I don't like how it continues to grow and grow until you reload the whole page. (Sorry, I tried setting the 'height' in the css file, but it never seemed to care about that).
* My other big issue for improvement is color coding "Guests" (who put in their own name so they could pretend to be another user) from "Registered" users. Like Blue for registered and green for guests. That'd be a nice add; that or have a prefix added to their name.
However all in all, this is a great mod/com!
This is an excellent shoutbox. Gotta love AJAX. Still testing to see how it does on bandwidth, but very happy with it so far.