You can use it to access and modify the files and directories on your server via FTP or direct file access.
eXtplorer runs natively under Joomla! 1.0 - 3.2 and can also be used as a standalone app.
It works like a charm and will help me lot.
Unlike some other reviews, i couldn't find any failure. The search functions works normaly also.
Thanks for this nice extension. Hats off !
Another component installed just fine.
I noticed that extplorer didn't have an update since 2008.
I wonder why it is listed here as compatible with 1.6 and as an editors pick??!
This is not the place to file bug reports (but http://goo.gl/tyY52). eXtplorer has been updated regularly every since and the latest release was 2 weeks ago in January 2011.
It installs fine in a standard Joomla! 1.6 release. This has been confirmed by many users.
Overlooking the mess that the error messages made of the layout, the product worked fine, but it's not a particularly pleasant experience.
You'll save loads of time and energy just by using this. It's great for Joomla experts as we can easily get to template and extension folders to make changes while it's great for beginners for uploading images to folders and getting used to the JOomla structure.
Top marks from me.
- it has a feature of uploading from another server (which is a time saver, and to me a bandwidth saver for my prepaid internet connection)
- (if I'm not wrong)it shows hidden files (i looked though cpanel for .htaccess files but couldn't find them! but extplorer shows them :) )
- the ability to save directories as favorites, for a quick way to reopen the directories :)
- all files are opened in the tabs of the component, so a new window won't open, it's in the same window :)
- i tried the "difference" feature, but in some way it didn't work with me, i think i just don't know how to use this feature :P
in any ways, this feature can't be found in cpanel
- the ability to reload selected folders on the left main navigation (without having to reload all the page)
now the disadvantages to me:
- the "search" almost never shows results when searching for a specific content.
now, if working on this feature would make the component bloated, i would love that someone tells me a way to search the directories instead :)
- it's not as easy to copy the url of the directory as it is in cpanel
(personally i click on the "copy" dialog just so i can retrieve the url)
i rate this 5 stars because the disadvantages are minor towards the advantages :)
hey! and did i forget to mention it's free :D