You can use it to access and modify the files and directories on your server via FTP or direct file access.
eXtplorer runs natively under Joomla! 1.0 - 3.2 and can also be used as a standalone app.
The only thing I would wish for is role/permissions based front-end access so users could upload into a personal folder...
TIP: If I access my website via its IP address and log into the Joomla back end as an administrator role, then I can see the root of the server with eXtplorer - if this is your issue, log into the Joomla back end via the URL of your website and you'll see what you need to. It took me a while to figure that one out last year, but I got it on my own.
TIP 2: I downloaded the "com_extplorer_2.0.1.zip" and installed it as a module: no problems!!
When we install it now, it claims to have installed correctly. When we try to use it we get the infamous error which has been well documented here, in the Joomla forums, and which has been ignored by the developer.
Please note that we run Joomla on three different Linux server environments, one of which is cPanel. We tried every fix mentioned here or in the forums. Nothing worked. In fact, when we reviewed all of the setup issues such as file and directory permissions, archives that didn't get expanded, etc., in every case and on every platform, none of these issues was the problem, and nothing had to be changed.
Finally, we gave up and are now using ninjaXplorer, which we have discovered we prefer because it actually installs, works flawlessly, and seems to use less system resources than eXtplorer on the sites where we have used it.
In fact, we are uninstalling all working copies of eXtplorer and installing ninjaXplorer as we do our update to the latest Joomla 1.5.X.
Then I created my second Joomla website and eXtplorer was one of the first components I installed. The install seemed to work perfectly but upon trying to run the program I received an error "The ExtJS Library could not be found..." and the program terminates. I researched the problem on the developer website and found a few threads with others having this exact same problem going back to September 2007. There have been no solutions to the problem. By the way, the two Joomla installations are hosted on the same server with the same version of PHP and everything else is the same except the domain name.
For those of you lucky enough to have the program actually work... YOU WILL LOVE IT!!!
I hope there is some sort of supports from the developer or at least a clear instruction on installation process in Readme.txt.
I am also now using the standalone script (link removed) and it is indeed the solution we were all waiting for when hosts do not have a Filemanager.