I've written this module as a part of one of projects that I am working on. The idea about it was to create simple environment to prevent downloading some specific contents by random website visitors. Another idea was to create it independent from Joomla! Registration Component.
So there it is.
- Easy to install and implement
- Simple, still effective password protection
- Restrict download to registered users ( if needed )
- Prevent direct downloads
- Supports most mime types
And how does it work? Follow these instructions:
1. First download the module. ( Link to the Downloads section )
2. Install it.
3. Go to Module Manager and find Password 2 Download module
4. Setup password you want your links to be protected with
5. Setup up to 10 download links
6. Publish it
7. Test it
PHP > 5.2
NOTE: Download files are passed through php to hide real urls and prevent direct downloads. It means this solution is not fitted to handle large files!