Please read our full list of features here
Based on Joomla MVC framework with all its advantage:
- Template overriding,
- Implementation of Joomla Plugins for: payment, shipment, coupons, calculation rules, custom product fields, ...
- Simple installation and integration of other joomla extensions.
- Joomla 2.5 ACL
- nested categories
- with meta tags for seo
- with description and media
- with meta tags for seo
- short and long description
- dimensions (weight, size)
- multiple media
- variants, attributes
- unlimited child products and derivated levels
- product pattern (Parent product used as pattern for child products)
- related products
- reviews and ratings
- pricing depending by shoppergroups
- price display depending by shoppergroups
- payment/shipment depending by shoppergroups
- customizable shopper input form
- input form depended on registration, checkout or shipment
- default Bill-to and Ship-to address
- default payment and shipment method
- stock warning
- virtual stock (ordered but not finally bought)
- various type of prices to display depended by shoppergroup
- prices adjusted by shopper choosen currency
- different currency format per currency
- unit price
- quantity based pricing
REAL MULTI CURRENCY
- auto updating rates
- add your own currencies for fixed currency rates
- default SEF/SEO integrated
- discounts based on time, category, shoppergroup, country, and state
- tax based on time, category, shoppergroup, country, and state
- discounts, tax per product and/or order
- discounts, tax have their own currencies (for duties)
- based on plugins, already onboard:PayPal, Paypal Pro, Paypal Express Checkout, Klarna and Klarna Checkout, Sofort Banking and Sofort iDeal, Skrill, Heidelpay, Authorize.net, Realex(and a lot more in the net)
- minimal amount / maximal amount to use a payment
- transaction fees
- by countries
- by shopper groups
- based on plugins
- by shopper groups
- by countries
- guest checkout; completly anonymous checkout
- option to register at begin of checkout
- cart is an object, competly overridable by template
- cart is stored in the session
- multi-page checkout
- one page checkout
- payment/shipment workflow
- order tracking for anonymous users
- order editing
- pdf invoice, delivery note
- topten (most sold)
- native with joomla 1.7
- with extra joomla components (joomfish) for joomla 1.5
MARKETING PROMOTION AND TOOLS
- coupon handling
So, the good points. Its outstanding once working. It does everything you need plus more! good level of support.
Bad points. Its not the easiest of extentions to configure and get working. Installer does not work so a manual install was done (not easy).
Conclusion. Only for the experianced of joomla admins to set up. I would (and do) use this but only if my client requires its features.
Another reviewer elsewhere used the words 'has started to show signs of age' and I concur with that conclusion.
If you are starting a new project from scratch like me there are better options out there.
Luckily, since virtuemart has been out for a while all of the bugs were listed on their website forums. With a little seaching I was able to correct all my issues and even got paypal payments working.
I also wanted to add google checkout, but I had to buy another plug from a 3rd party because that payment method was not included.
Overall, I am very pleased with virtuemart. It does nearly everything that I needed a shopping cart software to do. Like all things, it might not be what everyone needs, but it was a good choice in my opinion.
To say that this component is buggy is an understatement. I ran into dozens of fields that simply wouldn't work. For example, I couldn't edit any of my User's Details and I couldn't get pricing attributes to ever save. Most times I had just gave up and had to edited the databases manually. Lots of times, the pages wouldn't load properly when I was configuring it, spitting out tons of errors.
Their documentation is actually rather good, but documentation only goes so far. The rest of the time, you need some good support and there simply is no support for this component. All of my threads on their forum went completely unanswered. From what I saw, most threads on their support forum go completely unanswered. They like to point out that their forum for community support, but that community needs to be lead by the devs which I didn't see at all.
You may like what this component offers; you might think that this or that feature is a killer that you can only get from this component, but trust me, it's not worth it. Don't even waste your time installing it. Try out some of the other great alternatives.
1. VM it's all hard coded - allot of functions is not possible to change unless you hack the php(requires some advnaced php knowledge)
2. The support on the forums is worthless i rather wold post on some other random forum and i would get more decent help
The other is indeed good coded - it have very nice features but if yo want to only use it out of the box.. it REALLY requires improvements - it lacks flexability.
Unfortunately, the default layout and design of VirtueMart had daunted many potential customers.
Try to to see this
and compare it with
What do you think at first? Everything looks cluttered and primitive without proper organization on the VirtueMart Demo shop. The product listing, image, description, pricing, specifications, reviews and almost all elements are NOT well aligned and structured into a proper display format, but scattering on the page like a dustbin.
Bear in mind, the 1st impression is very important and many customers don't like extensive layout redesign from the default. Once they look at the pathetic VirtueMart Demo shop, their confidences had been fully devastated with a stereotype that VirtueMart can be any better than opencart, tomatocart and prestashop.
What's more, Ikea Shop is just another frustrating example. Most customers will think that Ikea can't even come out a good design with VirtueMart, what can I do with it ?
In fact, OpenCart is still lacking a lot of core features and its popularity and well acceptance lie in its striking and more organized default layout. You don't have to think too much and can simply use the default template with little or no changes at all. The same goes to the TomatoCart and PrestasShop, already presentable after installation.
What about the presentation of VirtueMart by default ? It's just a dustbin or the most ugliest creature which requires extensive cosmetic surgeries before it becomes presentable to the public, honestly.
I'm still figuring out how to make VirtueMart as structured and presentable as the demo shop of opencart, tomatocart and prestashop. Frankly, I'd NOT use VirtueMart if integration with Joomla is not in consideration unless they come out with a more presentable default layout and showcase it on the demo.virtuemart.net.
I noticed reviews about Virtuemart tends to be of the "love it or hate it" kind. Either "it doesn't get any better" or "it's very bad".
I use Virtuemart for many sites and its main advantage is that it works. It has a lot of history and community support, and many people ARE making business with it.
Now, there still is a lot of space for improvement. That is why i won't give it 5 star rating myself. I can only hope that we we will be able to keep improving it.
I plan to use this mostly for downloads and digital usage. So far, the test runs have managed to produce a nice setup. Only problem I am having is getting images to show as I want them, and I maintain that is learning curve, not the software.
Nice job development team. Keep it up!
As far as I'm concerned, the mere fact that this is a free component that works brilliantly for 99% of the people out there who have used it since version 1 is a miracle in itself. It has helped many people earn money online and does NOT deserve a poor review from someone who couldn't even think of a simple solution (like your first problem).
Common sense goes a long way, so does spending time to search for things, or using forums to ask for things, or paying minor amounts for customisations like Chines Language files or compatibility. I'm giving VM a top rating to counter your very unfair low rating.
2) the issue of displaying ?????? for Chinese characters made me drop using VirtueMart. (while the chinese character showing correctly in my joomla, the ?????? just happened in VM, both front end and back end) I search through the forum and tried all the solutions suggested, but finally, still, the problem couldn't solve, therefore, I dropped the programme. I tried installing the language packs, I tried changing the character set to utf-8 in the language files, I tried creating a config.web under the web directory that suggested by an user in forum, I tried creating a .htaccess file and I tried adding a mysql script in a suggested file to force the sql to record in utf-8 .... but all I tried were useless, it couldn't record correctly my shop name in Chinese character ..... it spent me a week to find solution and to do trials.... but finally I dropped the programme.