Based on Joomla MVC framework with all its advantage:
- Template overriding,
- Implementation of Joomla Plugins for: payment, shipment, coupons, calculation rules, custom product fields, ...
- Simple installation and integration of other joomla extensions.
- Joomla 2.5 ACL
- nested categories
- with meta tags for seo
- with description and media
- with meta tags for seo
- short and long description
- dimensions (weight, size)
- multiple media
- variants, attributes
- unlimited child products and derivated levels
- product pattern (Parent product used as pattern for child products)
- related products
- reviews and ratings
- pricing depending by shoppergroups
- price display depending by shoppergroups
- payment/shipment depending by shoppergroups
- customizable shopper input form
- input form depended on registration, checkout or shipment
- default Bill-to and Ship-to address
- default payment and shipment method
- stock warning
- virtual stock (ordered but not finally bought)
- various type of prices to display depended by shoppergroup
- prices adjusted by shopper choosen currency
- different currency format per currency
- unit price
- quantity based pricing
REAL MULTI CURRENCY
- auto updating rates
- add your own currencies for fixed currency rates
- default SEF/SEO integrated
- discounts based on time, category, shoppergroup, country, and state
- tax based on time, category, shoppergroup, country, and state
- discounts, tax per product and/or order
- discounts, tax have their own currencies (for duties)
- based on plugins, already onboard:PayPal, Paypal Pro, Paypal Express Checkout, Klarna and Klarna Checkout, Sofort Banking and Sofort iDeal, Skrill, Heidelpay, Authorize.net, (and a lot more in the net)
- minimal amount / maximal amount to use a payment
- transaction fees
- by countries
- by shopper groups
- based on plugins
- by shopper groups
- by countries
- guest checkout; completly anonymous checkout
- option to register at begin of checkout
- cart is an object, competly overridable by template
- cart is stored in the session
- multi-page checkout
- one page checkout
- payment/shipment workflow
- order tracking for anonymous users
- order editing
- pdf invoice, delivery note
- topten (most sold)
- native with joomla 1.7
- with extra joomla components (joomfish) for joomla 1.5
MARKETING PROMOTION AND TOOLS
- coupon handling
- recommend a product to friend link
- mail to shoppers who bought the product
- debugging tool
VM is still a decent component offering more features than most competitors, and the community is still active enough that questions are getting answered.
But their promises of an upgrade are becoming a joke.
So here I review the 'latest' release of VM:
Configuration: Not as bad as people suggest. It takes some time, and some youtube tutorial videos.
The problem lies in trying to make any changes once it's live. You can very easily 'break' it. So if you are setting this up to be managed by someone else, make sure they know what not to touch, unless you want to be looking up default settings on the forum.
Management: A breeze. People who imply adding/changing items, taking and changing order statuses, and accepting payments isn't easy are full of it.
UI: Not terrible, but leaves much to be desired. The short answer - it isn't very intuitive. Nothing seems to be where one might expect to find it. Also, many of the settings (configuration issue as well) seem to be poorly labeled - and it's not clear what certain things are for, so you try to leave much of it alone.
Features: Probably more features than any other Joomla eCom Component. The Shipping Modules are fantastic (again - youtube tutorials on the set up), and the attributes (ex: +$20 for XXXL) is great. There are a ton I don't use though. It's well rounded for almost any type of eCom Site.
A bitter-sweet aspect is third party developer extensions. For the most part, I love the stuff people are out there producing, but for things like SEF!... this should have been built in as an option from the beginning of 1.5 native.
Look: Templates and other setting allow much flexibility in the look. I have found and reported some bugs which didn't seem to gain much attention. Oh, well.
The total of this bring me to 4 stars, but with its dwindling community, invisible development team, and the rise of valid competition, it could easily fall to a 3 star rating.
On the flip side, if they release a completely retooled version in the very near future with a slue of new options, easier configuration and a generally improved User Interface, I could give it a 5 star rating.
I'm going to get booed for suggesting this, but I'd be alright with VM going commercial (for a very reasonable price, of course) IF they ever get their shtuff straight!
I'll leave it at this I personally have used it over fifty times.
Virtuemart is highly configurable and powerful.We have had it running 12,000 products over 766 categories with ease. You can stock the system via CSV in minutes and export data into all major accounting packages. We have had it configured to recieve realtime stock information from shop floor POS systems.
The real beauty of this extension is the amount of people developing for it. Including us. Search google and you will find pretty much anything you need. Clients love the administration as once configured it is a breeze for them to use.
Do not under estimate virtuemart. We still do not understand why this software is free but glad it it is.
1. Easy and simple setup
2. One module to handle
b) product listing
c) product search
3. Easy to use in the backend
you may visit te sites under development on the following url's
I would recommend anyone intending to setup an online catalogue and or shop to consider this Open Source solution before they opt for expensive options.
The bottom line is that this application doesn't work properly. It is almost impossible to configure. You will spend days trying to configure it and will only end up in dissapointment. Do yourself a favour and stay away.
This extension makes a lot of extensions look like kids games, and it is free. sure it needs you to understand how computers work to be able to operate it, well that is why you are here in the first place, because you think you are the top notch programmer who have useful stuff to share with the community and would like to use some great and almost complete functions that other programmers/developers has been so kind as to share with you so that you don't have to invent the wheel all over again.
This extension beats them all.
I am just saying. be happy when the functionalities are free and share some useful stuff with us.
Use it only for small business and never professionel! The forum is slow and without much help from anyone and the manual is a joke.
If I had the choice I would have choosen some other system 1½ year ago when I started my Virtuemart journey....
It's so messy (MVC definitively not a clear concept for the authors), some hard coded design/layout/images in html/php elements, files all over the places, no human understandable logic) that you may you loose your time trying to change anything in it.
The masterpiece is, IMAO, the "module list" that is supposed to grant mysterious permissions. If you have time and want to read fun stuff, have a look at the documentation for this part...
It would have been a good extension, but I think that authors tried to do too many things, and thus they failed to make it right.
I have no idea how this managed to get editors pick.
I give VirtueMart 4 out of 5 stars because you can create a free, functional store pretty quickly. Just know that you will have to edit some of the code yourself if you're doing more than the most basic store.
If you're willing to go hunting on the internet to find fixes for the problems with this component and aren't afraid of coding, I'd say the all of the nice features that it includes are worth the trouble.