- Template overwritting,
- Implementation of Joomla Plugins for: payment, shipment, coupons, calculation rules, custom product fields, ...
- Simple installation and integration of other joomla extensions.
- nested categories
- with meta tags for seo
- with description and media
- with meta tags for seo
- short and long description
- dimensions (weight, size)
- multiple media
- variants, attributes
- unlimited child products and derivated levels
- product pattern (Parent product used as pattern for child products)
- related products
- reviews and ratings
- pricing depending by shoppergroups
- price display depending by shoppergroups
- payment/shipment depending by shoppergroups
- customizable shopper input form
- input form depended on registration, checkout or shipment
- default Bill-to and Ship-to address
- default payment and shipment method
- stock warning
- virtual stock (ordered but not finally bought)
- various type of prices to display depended by shoppergroup
- prices adjusted by shopper choosen currency
- different currency format per currency
- unit price
- quantity based pricing
REAL MULTI CURRENCY
- auto updating rates
- add your own currencies for fixed currency rates
- default SEF/SEO integrated
- discounts based on time, category, shoppergroup, country, and state
- tax based on time, category, shoppergroup, country, and state
- discounts, tax per product and/or order
- discounts, tax have their own currencies (for duties)
- based on plugins: Paypal, Authorize.net, PayZen, Systempay, Moneybookers, Klarna, Heidelpay
- minimal amount / maximal amount to use a payment
- transaction fees
- by countries
- by shopper groups
- based on plugins
- by shopper groups
- by countries
- guest checkout; completly anonymous checkout
- option to register at begin of checkout
- cart is an object, competly overridable by template
- cart is stored in the session
- multi-page checkout
- one page checkout (not by default)
- payment/shipment workflow
- order tracking for anonymous users
- topten (most sold)
- native with joomla 1.7
- with extra joomla components (joomfish) for joomla 1.5
MARKETING PROMOTION AND TOOLS
- coupon handling
- recommend a product to friend link
- mail to shoppers who bought the product
- hidden debugging tool
The 2.0.10+ is a security release, everyone using 2.0.8 or lower must update as soon as possible.
The idea of virtuemart is very nice but the actual use of the system is far from "polished". Those that are interested in running anything serious will quickly find out they will end up having to pay for some custom programming or spend long hours customizing the functions yourself.
Support for the program has been in decline since I started to use the program and is now non existent. However, visiting the forum and asking for help you are sure to find programmers eager to do custom work for you for a price.
There also seems not to be much forward momentum in keeping the product up to date with whats available on the market. By the time you're done paying for custom modules, programming, or templates you may as well buy a commercial product.
The first is that Joomla and Virtuemart are a wonderful and powerful combination. It is possible to make them work essentially seemlessly together and this overcomes many of the limitations of the other systems. There seems to be no limits of extensions available, so it would seem to be able to do whatever you have a mind to do.
On top of this, Virtuemart has more than enough optons and configeration possiblites (I would think)to handle most shop needs. They have in planning a Virtuemart 2.0 but I do not know the specifications for this and I wonder what more it could offer, given that Virtumart 1.1.3 seems to do all I need.
So Joomla Virtuemart is my pick - except for one thing. The current version of Virtuemart is essentially inoperable. Having been extensively in the forums, what they do not tell you on their front page is this.
1. They acknowledge that the current version is buggy. I alone have run into several; I get the feeling that the issue is quality control, not the capactity of the development team.
To counter this, they are planning a new update called RC 1.1.4 and this has been promised for a number of months but we are still waiting the release.
2. One of the major bugs (acknowledged by Virtuemart) is that it works poorly on Internet Explorer Version
I'm ready to chuck the whole thing and go with a commercial product.
The potential is there. I read somewhere that only two developers are supporting the whole thing. That would explain a lot.
I have nothing but praise for this extension. It is feature ric, easy to install and setup and works with all Joomla versions that I know off.
I speak from solid experience using this.
Some of my favorite feature are easy and extensively complete administration of all customers, orders, shipping options, payment modules, coupons!, product types and attributes, etc...
Remember, that it was created mostly by a single person and new joining developers have to learn tons of code that is why updates are not too often but improvements are tremendous!
Thank you for COMPONENT #1!
Yes the support for this shop component is indeed very very poor. In a bind months down the road, forget about support (or support on the forums) it just aint there!
Ive been using Virtuemart now for almost a year, and everything seemed good until ver 1.1.3 was released. Then things got very weird!
For instance, cannot upload your products (like downloadables, zips etc). This sorta puts a big "unusable-label" on my entire site right then and there!!!
The reason why there are so many bug reports on their forums, is because nobody has the answers. Goes to show just how many of us there are that are having probs.
Oh by the way, the last time I checked (or tried to check on possible fixes for the no upload for "downloadable files - to be sold), meaning your products, there were possible server errors for their developer portal.
Save yourself lots of grief, plus not to mention countless hours lost due to the zero support thing - be aware of Virtuemart 1.1.3 (security release).
PS: Also don't know how to downgrade.
Over all I think it a good and reasonable Shopping cart for the small to Medium websites (I have used it for the big projects too!! :) )
Thanks for such a great extension !!!
its like jack-of-all trades and master of none.
this has more bugs in it than a small rainforest. If it worked, it would be the best thing ever.
be prepared to to sink a day into JUST learning. i have spent 2 additional days trying to fix the bugs and just to find out, they arent. **this might be a great for joom1.0.X Im using 1.5.9
For an addon to Joomla though, VirtueMart is amazing. It installs easily and provides the average joe a quick way to get a shop online.
Good work guys!