Based on Joomla MVC framework with all its advantage:
- Template overriding,
- Implementation of Joomla Plugins for: payment, shipment, coupons, calculation rules, custom product fields, ...
- Simple installation and integration of other joomla extensions.
- Joomla 2.5 ACL
- nested categories
- with meta tags for seo
- with description and media
- with meta tags for seo
- short and long description
- dimensions (weight, size)
- multiple media
- variants, attributes
- unlimited child products and derivated levels
- product pattern (Parent product used as pattern for child products)
- related products
- reviews and ratings
- pricing depending by shoppergroups
- price display depending by shoppergroups
- payment/shipment depending by shoppergroups
- customizable shopper input form
- input form depended on registration, checkout or shipment
- default Bill-to and Ship-to address
- default payment and shipment method
- stock warning
- virtual stock (ordered but not finally bought)
- various type of prices to display depended by shoppergroup
- prices adjusted by shopper choosen currency
- different currency format per currency
- unit price
- quantity based pricing
REAL MULTI CURRENCY
- auto updating rates
- add your own currencies for fixed currency rates
- default SEF/SEO integrated
- discounts based on time, category, shoppergroup, country, and state
- tax based on time, category, shoppergroup, country, and state
- discounts, tax per product and/or order
- discounts, tax have their own currencies (for duties)
- based on plugins, already onboard:PayPal, Paypal Pro, Paypal Express Checkout, Klarna and Klarna Checkout, Sofort Banking and Sofort iDeal, Skrill, Heidelpay, Authorize.net, (and a lot more in the net)
- minimal amount / maximal amount to use a payment
- transaction fees
- by countries
- by shopper groups
- based on plugins
- by shopper groups
- by countries
- guest checkout; completly anonymous checkout
- option to register at begin of checkout
- cart is an object, competly overridable by template
- cart is stored in the session
- multi-page checkout
- one page checkout
- payment/shipment workflow
- order tracking for anonymous users
- order editing
- pdf invoice, delivery note
- topten (most sold)
- native with joomla 1.7
- with extra joomla components (joomfish) for joomla 1.5
MARKETING PROMOTION AND TOOLS
- coupon handling
- recommend a product to friend link
- mail to shoppers who bought the product
- debugging tool
It gets a little frustrating at times when configuring authorize.net, but its is still worth the effort.
I'd like to see a lot more in the way of reporting and tools that are of more use to a larger ecommerce site. Processing orders is still a little cumbersome from the back end.
Just a few issues:
- Thumbnails and images don't upload correctly.
- The user sessions don't work well with the rest of Joomla.
- Various error and warning message may be encountered prior to patching both Joomla and VirtueMart core files.
- Very limited options for shipping
PHP and MySQL version seem to be a factor on some servers. Not sure how there is such a high rating for this component or positive reviews. Perhaps some users didn't fully configure and execute VM prior to rating the product.
If you weren't running a complex or large shopping cart, then this might work for you but I doubt it.
Supposed to be fixed in this new version but its the same, I have to admit defeat and I am somewhat annoyed by this as it used to be (back to 1.12) very good but this one still no good.
I gives me the possibility to combine Joomla and my shop.
Everyone talks about magento but for me, virtuemart is the killer shop system.
For Gods sake there was the update. I already thought that the project sleeps although of thousands entries in the forum.
But the biggest problem to me now seems to be that questions are not being answered on the forums by the developers. I realise it is open source and people dedicate time to it but it did seem to have so much promise. Not getting answers gives the impression at least that the project is not very active!
For me duplication of images is a major issue especially when you are talking 900 images. An ongoing issue that still is not resolved and one which could have a major impact on someones hosting account.
Customisation of certain areas is not always to straight forward either.
The product overall does the job but I do not feel I can't give to higher mark based on the points raised above.
I have been playing with Virtuemart for a few months and I have only recently gone live with my first shop.
With in a month I have managed to get a few sales and I am now busy working on traffic.
Only real issue I have had was getting some proper checkout templates. I ended up using templates from a template site that was modifiable to my taste.
Would be nice to see a add on what gives you the capability to work with multiple orders at once and to do shipment track.
But all and all I very,very happy with Virtuemart!!!
Thanks again for providing us with this beautifull piece of work!
I was breaking my head for 2 days now, trying to fix it.
I asked this question at the VirtueMart forum but did not get an answer...
I tried to contact the developer but the "contact us" form on VirtueMart site does not work..!?
My impression is: very poor coding and no support.
Before this, I was using OSCommerce and Zen Cart, which are great shopping carts, but aren't designed for Joomla.
That being said, there are a few bugs in it that seem to me the developers didn't thoroughly test everything they updated. Most notably, there is an error in the code that essentially breaks the ability to add a shipper. There is a fix for this on their forums, but the last update for VirtueMart was 8 over months ago.
I have no idea how to do all these things but I must say that after my friend set them up I can at least do the basics. You who made this program did a very nice job. Keep up the good work and I will donate some money for it. Thank you for making it easy for the rest of us.
Getting shipping set up works only if you use a major carrier. Canada Post isn't an option.
Log in problems - yup we have those too. Clients log in to their accounts/create accounts and have to log in several times to try to buy their items many just give up. Some will call the client or email to get their order.
Forums - no one answers.
I think this product has so much potential. It's a darn shame the developers haven't paid more attention to feed back. Once a product with a great reputation now questionable.
Virtuemart is an extremely powerful shopping system, you will find lots of positive things about it all over the place so I am going to focus on the bits you may not find elsewhere. Virtumart is far from perfect, there are a number of weird bugs (such as adding a shipper, select lists accepting empty values when marked compulsory and breaking when you add items to them, the width on custom fields not being respected on the front end the list goes on). If you are working with a picky client be prepared for a lot of bugfixing on stuff you would expect to work straight up. It is also very complex to hack as pointed out by others below. Sometimes you will have to follow 5 or 6 files to find one bit of echoed HTML.
There are also some glaring ommissions such as insufficient options for handling Australian GST (hack available buried in the forums for this) the inability to set shipping rates per product (once again there is a 3rd party module that I found buried in the forums away that does this see http://forum.virtuemart.net/index.php?topic=58784.0
This brings me to another issue which is the fact that the forums are used for extensions much more than the actual extensions area so you have to trowl through the forums and if you are lucky you will find hacks and extensions buried in there with very little quality control and an unsuitable structure for handling extensions. The forums are also loaded with people who have had exactly the same problems as you but whos posts have had hundreds of views but no responses.
I will continue using virtuemart of course and I think now I have probably worked out the majority of the bugs but I wanted to post this so others are aware of it and hopfully the developer will respond.
The idea of virtuemart is very nice but the actual use of the system is far from "polished". Those that are interested in running anything serious will quickly find out they will end up having to pay for some custom programming or spend long hours customizing the functions yourself.
Support for the program has been in decline since I started to use the program and is now non existent. However, visiting the forum and asking for help you are sure to find programmers eager to do custom work for you for a price.
There also seems not to be much forward momentum in keeping the product up to date with whats available on the market. By the time you're done paying for custom modules, programming, or templates you may as well buy a commercial product.
The first is that Joomla and Virtuemart are a wonderful and powerful combination. It is possible to make them work essentially seemlessly together and this overcomes many of the limitations of the other systems. There seems to be no limits of extensions available, so it would seem to be able to do whatever you have a mind to do.
On top of this, Virtuemart has more than enough optons and configeration possiblites (I would think)to handle most shop needs. They have in planning a Virtuemart 2.0 but I do not know the specifications for this and I wonder what more it could offer, given that Virtumart 1.1.3 seems to do all I need.
So Joomla Virtuemart is my pick - except for one thing. The current version of Virtuemart is essentially inoperable. Having been extensively in the forums, what they do not tell you on their front page is this.
1. They acknowledge that the current version is buggy. I alone have run into several; I get the feeling that the issue is quality control, not the capactity of the development team.
To counter this, they are planning a new update called RC 1.1.4 and this has been promised for a number of months but we are still waiting the release.
2. One of the major bugs (acknowledged by Virtuemart) is that it works poorly on Internet Explorer Version