Based on Joomla MVC framework with all its advantage:
- Template overriding,
- Implementation of Joomla Plugins for: payment, shipment, coupons, calculation rules, custom product fields, ...
- Simple installation and integration of other joomla extensions.
- Joomla 2.5 ACL
- nested categories
- with meta tags for seo
- with description and media
- with meta tags for seo
- short and long description
- dimensions (weight, size)
- multiple media
- variants, attributes
- unlimited child products and derivated levels
- product pattern (Parent product used as pattern for child products)
- related products
- reviews and ratings
- pricing depending by shoppergroups
- price display depending by shoppergroups
- payment/shipment depending by shoppergroups
- customizable shopper input form
- input form depended on registration, checkout or shipment
- default Bill-to and Ship-to address
- default payment and shipment method
- stock warning
- virtual stock (ordered but not finally bought)
- various type of prices to display depended by shoppergroup
- prices adjusted by shopper choosen currency
- different currency format per currency
- unit price
- quantity based pricing
REAL MULTI CURRENCY
- auto updating rates
- add your own currencies for fixed currency rates
- default SEF/SEO integrated
- discounts based on time, category, shoppergroup, country, and state
- tax based on time, category, shoppergroup, country, and state
- discounts, tax per product and/or order
- discounts, tax have their own currencies (for duties)
- based on plugins, already onboard:PayPal, Paypal Pro, Paypal Express Checkout, Klarna and Klarna Checkout, Sofort Banking and Sofort iDeal, Skrill, Heidelpay, Authorize.net, (and a lot more in the net)
- minimal amount / maximal amount to use a payment
- transaction fees
- by countries
- by shopper groups
- based on plugins
- by shopper groups
- by countries
- guest checkout; completly anonymous checkout
- option to register at begin of checkout
- cart is an object, competly overridable by template
- cart is stored in the session
- multi-page checkout
- one page checkout
- payment/shipment workflow
- order tracking for anonymous users
- order editing
- pdf invoice, delivery note
- topten (most sold)
- native with joomla 1.7
- with extra joomla components (joomfish) for joomla 1.5
MARKETING PROMOTION AND TOOLS
- coupon handling
- recommend a product to friend link
- mail to shoppers who bought the product
- debugging tool
Now there are some whiners that virtuemart doesn't custom itself to the way that suites individual needs and you must be a php/css programmer to modify it to look and feel as you wish.
That is true because it would make the file too large and take extra effort away from increasing functionality of the product. I guess that is why you pay someone like me to customize it beyond what the basis framework of virtuemart.
It is said that if something is free then you will get more negative feedback than if you charge a lot of money. Remember the days when someone charge $1,000 to $100 USD for a shopping cart that didn't work this well and had limited features? I do.
Good Work Virtuemart and I will be giving a donation.
Another example would be a review that said why the backend interface is much more nice than the frontend. My best guess would be because there are thousands of great looking templates for the frontend whilst none for the backend. Although in my opinion, nothing special on the backend admin interface, it's just the same like Joomla's and others' extensions. I have no idea what made him said so.
Last example would be a review that said VM doesn't work with Paypal. I did some research by looking at hundreds of VM sites. Interestingly I found that majority of them are using Paypal! Some are combined with 2CO or other local payment processors as well. So my conclusion is VM does work with Paypal. My other logic thinking said since Paypal is the most common payment processor in the world, why on earth would VM ever want to have no interest in supporting Paypal in the first place (as what the review said)? What's the advantage of doing so? I'm not seeing any except all the disadvantages, instead.
I guess these kind of unweighted reviews must be reviewed first by the moderator before it was posted whether it's truly a review or just a junk note.
After installing VM, I can tell that these guys put a lot of work into their creation. Sure I had to do some research, but that comes with the territory. Thanks to the team that contributed their time and energy into VM only to provide this great service for FREE!!!
Muchas gracias! :)
I like the frontend which is fine for a small site like mine and in particular loved how easy it was to get it set up with payment options.
I have another site on another platform which doesn't support VM and am having to try to use the much heavier OsCommerce which I can tell you is a TON tougher to set up and work with. And there's almost as little support for it sometimes too, and I agree - nothing more frustrating than not getting an answer at all to a problem, let alone it taking days to do so.
But overall, I would have to agree with others here who've commended the module as I truly feel it's worth the hard work and effort to get it up and running. And given how I've got next to no PHP knowledge or understanding I wouldn't agree that you need to have much - a very basic appreciation of where your modules are stored and how to tweak some basic code lines is about all you might need, if even.
I'm not sure how it made Editors Pick. If you check out the forum they never answer anyone's support question.
I've used Virtuemart in the past with PayPal (something used by a few of you out there I'm sure) and I've always been inclined to appreciate such a robust e-commerce extension for Joomla. It's worked for me before, but in working with the latest version it has been problem after problem after problem. When I finally find a fix or a rough work around for one problem another one is encountered.
Don't use this if you're simply going to use PayPal there are too many flaws and very little relevant support in the forums. Other payment methods may be the same, but I assume that there's less interest in supporting PayPal since it is free and often viewed as a less than serious payment processor.
In any case, even if you get it to work there will be annoying little bugs to live with such as compiling all products as one during checkout or listing products separately but not transferring shipping costs. The biggest problem is failure to notify properly a confirmation of successful payment. This is the latest version and I never had this much trouble getting previous versions to work!
This is one of the real Joomla components, that really helped the Joomla Community to develop and to expand it's range.
Many thanks to the developers!
1. This shopping cart system is Category Driven ONLY! ... there is ABSOLUTELY NO WAY of filtering the products! They have created additional features like product TYPES and ATTRIBUTES to enhance the products ordering system, but if you want your customers to sort the products by any other means other than by Name, Category and a few things like Price ... then just FORGET IT!
2. Manufactures are worthless in this system. You can't do anything with them.
2. Vendors are worthless in this system. You can't do anything with them. Admittingly this feature is Beat.
3. No REAL support in the forums ... there are very few real developers working on this thing, and forget about Feature Requests ... out of the hundred or so, only 1 was fulfilled!
4. There are reasons why this thing is free ... is you want a BASIC shopping cart then this thing will work fine, beyond that go somewhere else.
My thanks to the developers and others in the community for their help in the past.
Two major cautions need to be given to anyone that wants to use VirtueMart.
1. You MUST NOT be a Joomla newbie
2. You MUST know php
VirtueMart has so many capabilities it is compelling to download and install. But, if you plan a major store, you will need to know php.
If you are considering VirtueMart because it is free, its not. It will cost you many hours and days. Their forum is filled with posts from many people pleading for help. Many receive "me to" replies and many with zero replies that are months old.
If you want VirtueMart, hire a consultant that has at least 10 stores in their portfolio (and go visit them first). It won't be free, but you will improve your probability of success. For me, I'm bagging VM - its too expensive.
1. There is no way to have multiple taxes configured, even though they have a multiple tax option. You can't have taxes based on shipping address for different cities. You can globally assign one tax rate to a state and not charge other states, but if you have to charge different tax rates within a state based on the shippers city, it is not possible.
2. Non-taxable items. They claim to be able to do this, which it can be done, but for some reason they have tied "non-taxable items" to the item weight. So if you don't want to charge tax on something then you don't put an item weight in the configuration. But then if the customer only orders that item that is non-taxable and has no weight, then the shipping module doesn't bring up the shipping options (like their UPS Shipping Module). Why would you tie "non-taxable items" to a shipping weight.
3. Customizable emails are virtually non-existent - unless you are a php guru. There are no templates for emails that are easy to manipulate. The initial email that a consumer receives on the order looks great. Subsequent emails are a simple text email that looks very elementary and as of the date of this review...the forums, the developers have provided no answers.
4. Before you use this extension, go register and get into the forums and look at the questions and see how many responses there are from actual developers vs. forum members.
There are other little things to that are annoyances, but are fairly easy to overcome. However, the items I have described are big, not just for me but for a lot of users. The tax thing is huge.
If you need a simple, out of the box (so to speak) solution with no complications for tax implications, no need for custom emails to your buyers, and just want to sell all items with one flat tax, then I would agree, this product is pretty easy to use.
I have lots of good things to say also. I am just being candid about the issues.
Based on that, and the fact that I have made some money from it, how could it possibly be worth less than 5 stars? As someone else said, I'd give it 6 if I could.
I would like to see the forums become more community focused rather than so many expecting pro support (and getting frustrated when it doesn't happen). Other than that the forums are well thought out, and an effective way to find solutions to common problems.
The VirtueMart Forum is a better place to ask for help than here, and I've found a lot of help by post questions directly in Google.
In response to a couple of previous posts I offer the following...
1) "Can't have products with no shipping, Really? by domdeez, September 2, 2008"
Actually you can do this. You'll have to create a Shipping Rate List, starting with 0 (zero) weight at $0.00. So for that I would put "Highest Weight 0.010, Lowest Weight 0.00. Then put 0 (zero) weight for your product.
2) "Not compatible with Community Builder by paul.shane, August 17, 2008"
Did you try the VirtueMart plugin for Community Builder? http://www.e-motion.com.au/open-source/virtuemart-plugin-for-community-builder.html