- Template overwritting,
- Implementation of Joomla Plugins for: payment, shipment, coupons, calculation rules, custom product fields, ...
- Simple installation and integration of other joomla extensions.
- nested categories
- with meta tags for seo
- with description and media
- with meta tags for seo
- short and long description
- dimensions (weight, size)
- multiple media
- variants, attributes
- unlimited child products and derivated levels
- product pattern (Parent product used as pattern for child products)
- related products
- reviews and ratings
- pricing depending by shoppergroups
- price display depending by shoppergroups
- payment/shipment depending by shoppergroups
- customizable shopper input form
- input form depended on registration, checkout or shipment
- default Bill-to and Ship-to address
- default payment and shipment method
- stock warning
- virtual stock (ordered but not finally bought)
- various type of prices to display depended by shoppergroup
- prices adjusted by shopper choosen currency
- different currency format per currency
- unit price
- quantity based pricing
REAL MULTI CURRENCY
- auto updating rates
- add your own currencies for fixed currency rates
- default SEF/SEO integrated
- discounts based on time, category, shoppergroup, country, and state
- tax based on time, category, shoppergroup, country, and state
- discounts, tax per product and/or order
- discounts, tax have their own currencies (for duties)
- based on plugins: Paypal, Authorize.net, PayZen, Systempay, Moneybookers, Klarna, Heidelpay
- minimal amount / maximal amount to use a payment
- transaction fees
- by countries
- by shopper groups
- based on plugins
- by shopper groups
- by countries
- guest checkout; completly anonymous checkout
- option to register at begin of checkout
- cart is an object, competly overridable by template
- cart is stored in the session
- multi-page checkout
- one page checkout (not by default)
- payment/shipment workflow
- order tracking for anonymous users
- topten (most sold)
- native with joomla 1.7
- with extra joomla components (joomfish) for joomla 1.5
MARKETING PROMOTION AND TOOLS
- coupon handling
- recommend a product to friend link
- mail to shoppers who bought the product
- hidden debugging tool
The 2.0.10+ is a security release, everyone using 2.0.8 or lower must update as soon as possible.
I've tested VM on smaller personal sites for over a year before being comfortable enough to use it on a client site. I set the client up with the FedEx real-time shipping module processing payments through Authorize. The website processes 2.5K - 4K in orders per week. We've had it running for a little over 3 months with no problems whatsoever.
The software required a little hammering out to make it work exactly as we wanted it, but as a non-programmer I was able to get it exactly as the client requested.
As a result, this is the first open source software I've made voluntary donations to. It's an excellent piece of software. Installs easily, completely customizable, and always forward moving.
Install VM and test it out. You won't be disappointed.
Anyway, very pleased with this version of VirtueMart.
After uninstalling the component, I continued to get another error in the menu settings, I had to hand remove the other part that didn't remove from virtuamart. I really LOVE the way Virtuamart installs, blends with the templates in Joomla and the back end admin area - WOW... BUT having to drop back to the older version just to get it to work.
YES - I did review all over the web - to include posting on Their Forums and NO one would ever answer me or bother to help - They say it is active, but seems to be pretty dead there unless it is just one main topic. I Really hoped for more from such a high quality group of creators to be honest - and Yeah I know this is free, but still to someone that didn't know any code, this would have just ruined their website and they would have had to rebuild.
Anyway - I hope to upgrade to 1.1.0 when the bugs are worked out of the category area - as we draw traffic now really well and just wanted to add in a great shop. THANK YOU for building it, just please support what you do built when you have time, please. It matters! Specially when you have people that love what you do and want it badly enough to come to you to ask for help, don't ignore them - bad business. Wishing you well with the bugs.
Imagine that you are holding the end of a piece of string. The rest of the string is on gigantic knot that fills the room. You then discover that there is more than one ball of string knotted into this bundle.
Now unravel it - welcome to Virtuemart.
The forums are littered with people asking questions that rarely get an answer.
I am a professional web designer/developer and even I gave up on it in the end.
If you want to know how an open source shopping cart should be done, go to www.zencart.net. This was recommended to me after I gave up on Virtuemart. It doesn't work inside Joomla, it is a standalone product but if you are looking to build a store I strongly advise you go to Zen. The code is elegantly and logically structured. The site is easy to mark-up with CSS and there is a search function so you can find where code is in any document.
Oh, and the developers of Zen don't put a message on their site saying code is more important than design so they may or may no get around to looking at design problems.
Personally I had several error warnings setting up the shop and as not being an experienced user I got afraid and gave up.
I am currently using another component (unfortunately a commercial one) and I do not have a single problem.
All I regret is the time I have lost trying to make virtuemart work.
Not for me.
If i was going to install this on my own site, I would love to test it out an report bugs. But since its for a customer, I don't want to upset them and I am going to use a more tried and tested shopping cart.
I would wait until the next version, because this one is not ready for to be distributed.
Installation and configuration was faultless and it does exactly what I want it to do.
Would highly recommend this product to anyone who wishes to see online, whether shippable goods or downloads, this shopping cart covers it all.
Well done and keep up the good work.
I’m amazed at some of the negativity I’ve seen about Virtuemart. Some of it is based on their forum support. Let’s remember that this is a very small team of VOLUNTEERS trying to help a huge number of users. Yet if you ask something in the right place that hasn’t already been answered (and aren’t a pushy _ _ _), someone will help you. Before you get upset, keep in mind that a lot of bugs you may come across are actually a problem with your own server or browser setup.
Let’s face it, e-commerce is not for the faint of heart…even in 2008. Virtuemart makes it about as easy as it comes for a beginner, but you very well may have to sort through a few bugs and challenges. Don’t give up. Once you get through a site or two, I think you’ll find this an amazing tool!
A few things it has:
* An easy to use theming system which gives you full control of layout and style
* A strong integration with Joomla. There are 13 optional modules plus plugins to integrate with the normal Joomla search and allow for inserting products into Joomla articles. Users are synchronized, and products or categories can be linked to from Joomla menus
* Good CSV import/export with an addon called CSV extended
* Most of the features you’ll find in other open source shopping carts
* Hacks are available for adding certain features (although some haven't been updated)
Some things it doesn’t have:
* Joomla native SEF. However, there are 3rd party SEF extensions that work with it
* Events, Subscriptions, wish list
* Comprehensive reporting
* Backend is clunky for making multiple edits or additions (although csv extended can solve this if you’re technically saavy)
* Poor, untemplatable custom fields implementation (product types)
* Dynamic front end product attributes
* A sexy front end out of the box (as Magento)
We sell the same producs but at a range of different prices to different customers and I was thrilled to discover that you can set up a new Shopper Group for each type of customer and then allocate a different price for each Group - GREAT!
Now I just need it to automatically upgrade customers to a more discounted Shopper Group when they hit a predetermined monthly sales figure and I won't have to do any admin at all!
Thanks for a great product.