Please read our full list of features here
Based on Joomla MVC framework with all its advantage:
- Template overriding,
- Implementation of Joomla Plugins for: payment, shipment, coupons, calculation rules, custom product fields, ...
- Simple installation and integration of other joomla extensions.
- Joomla 2.5 ACL
- nested categories
- with meta tags for seo
- with description and media
- with meta tags for seo
- short and long description
- dimensions (weight, size)
- multiple media
- variants, attributes
- unlimited child products and derivated levels
- product pattern (Parent product used as pattern for child products)
- related products
- reviews and ratings
- pricing depending by shoppergroups
- price display depending by shoppergroups
- payment/shipment depending by shoppergroups
- customizable shopper input form
- input form depended on registration, checkout or shipment
- default Bill-to and Ship-to address
- default payment and shipment method
- stock warning
- virtual stock (ordered but not finally bought)
- various type of prices to display depended by shoppergroup
- prices adjusted by shopper choosen currency
- different currency format per currency
- unit price
- quantity based pricing
REAL MULTI CURRENCY
- auto updating rates
- add your own currencies for fixed currency rates
- default SEF/SEO integrated
- discounts based on time, category, shoppergroup, country, and state
- tax based on time, category, shoppergroup, country, and state
- discounts, tax per product and/or order
- discounts, tax have their own currencies (for duties)
- based on plugins, already onboard:PayPal, Paypal Pro, Paypal Express Checkout, Klarna and Klarna Checkout, Sofort Banking and Sofort iDeal, Skrill, Heidelpay, Authorize.net, Realex(and a lot more in the net)
- minimal amount / maximal amount to use a payment
- transaction fees
- by countries
- by shopper groups
- based on plugins
- by shopper groups
- by countries
- guest checkout; completly anonymous checkout
- option to register at begin of checkout
- cart is an object, competly overridable by template
- cart is stored in the session
- multi-page checkout
- one page checkout
- payment/shipment workflow
- order tracking for anonymous users
- order editing
- pdf invoice, delivery note
- topten (most sold)
- native with joomla 1.7
- with extra joomla components (joomfish) for joomla 1.5
MARKETING PROMOTION AND TOOLS
- coupon handling
I have learned that if you want to get help on the VM forum, you need to be active and help where you can. It's free after all and development is at the mercy of someones free time.
Over all it has had many ups and many more downs. However the VM team has done a good job and I do appreciate their hard work.
I like this extension very much. I m novice in joomla so I was not able to configure it but my programmer helped me install it
Thank you for your kind comments, once you get to know Virtuemart, you will find many more features that will help you build your on-line business and we also have a very active forum to help you learn more. Thank you again
Forum support? If you get 1 in 3 questions responded to feel privileged. If you get any answered without being insulted go and buy a lottery ticket.
There are more powerful, feature rich ecommerce systems out there that are both easier to use, less buggy and with better documentation. Your clients will thank you.
One VM2 project was one too many.
The system works if you want to downgrade to Joomla! 2.5.
Yes at begin we concentrated on fixing bugs. Since the relaunch we have new virutemart 2 documentation http://docs.virtuemart.net/
The requirements are written down here http://virtuemart.net/downloads . VM2 has the same requirements as joomla 2.5. The experience with j1.6 and j1.7 tells us that we wait with joomla 3.x compatibility for the next LTS 3.5. Expect that we will be ready in time.
Specially German shop owners need to override the carts views completely. With the standard views only, it is impossible to create a legal contract with a customer due to German laws.
If you are experienced with joomla development, don't dread to use it. But it's not a plug and play solution!
I think you are misinformed about the new German law of august 2012. There is a lot of misinformation in the net. The only thing you have usually to add for B2C is the "Widerrufsbelehrung", because other countries in the world have only the TOS checkbox. VM2 is a global product and we cannot provide solutions for every country out of the box. For more information you should join this forum (in german) http://www.virtuemart.de/forum.php#virtuemart-2
Many unanswered posts with comments that you have to have the version number, PHP version etc before they will answer. Thats not a problem for me, but I do know that some people are lost at this point.
Ive seen people so desperate that they offer cash for help. This is the only extension I have come across that seems desperate for help. I suppose that some (like me) use our sites as income, means that we are at the mercy off those that can assist.
I also suggest you view the admin area before taking the plunge. It looks ancient in design and style so some guesswork is needed.
I took there advice an voted for them... If they didnt treat users like dumb animals, it wouldnt be so bad.
"Forum posts asking for help are replied with links to previous issues". A lot people dont search first, they directly start a thread with their question. The idea of a forum is that we answer one time and it helps 1000s people. But it does not really help, when 100s of these 1000 people create their own topic. So we just connect these topics.
It is often impossible to help without knowing the Version`number. Very often people claim a bug which is fixed since months. We start to search again to find out that the user has an outdated version.
Why should another enduser/volunteer help, if the person questioning does not provide the basics.
If someone shows that he is not reflecting his behaviour, it is very likely he did not read the manual and is too lazy to invest 10 minutes reading. Why the community should invest in this selfish person the 10 minutes? Why? The person does not even invest himself the 10 minutes, why the community should do it for him? Would you do it?
It seems you do not recognise that you was part of the community. How many questions did you answer?
When VM2 came out and we were told how great it would because it would be Joomla MVC framework based - OK it integrates better with Joomla but shop owners don't care - they're only interested in functionality not backend development.
The only real support options available to VM2 users are the forums with the majority of posts going unanswered even those where post shows many users are having the same issue. Trying to understand how the Taxes are displayed in product pages and shopping cart remains unanswered and does not appear in the documentation - even thou there are multiple options how to configure this (within a product group or shopper group).
OK offical documentation is now a purchasable item - but it is pathetic and well below the quality of what was offered with VM1.1.
It tells you what the fields in the configuration are, but there is nothing in the way of explaining how to use them or how options interact.
Many features which were available in the default VM1.1 series are no longer available although some are provided as commerical 3rd party extensions.
Such as: Manual credit card handling.
Updates have been provided in the year since release but most of these updates address problems which should never have occured. The few "additional" functonality addons introduced only seemed to fix items that are missing and brings it closer to what VM1.1 provided.
I don't believe this product should be called Virtuemart as comparisons between 1.1 and 2 show it too different to the original and expectations are well below what you would want.
If you're installing this product without reference to VM 1.1 it is a simple and straight forward extension without anything below a very basic shop and don't need any support or documentation - go for it. But there are other options non-commerical and commerical which provide a better overall solution.
However if you're familar with VM1.1 or have customers who are familar with VM1.1 and need upgrading due to Joomla upgrade requirements - forget it there are better solutions which now provide better functionality, documentation and support.
Like many other Joomla extension developers I think it is time VM team seriously look at providing "subscription options" so users can benefit from more frequent updates with new required functionality and have the assurance of real support.
For me its time to look at other extensions to provide shopping cart functionality.
Anyway, VM2 now has reached a stable version and when setting up a ecommerce site, this is my first choice.
A very simple fix is to provide a video tutorial with the basic setup and and how to add products.
We know that the documentation was not a lot at begin, but since February the new documentation page is filling. http://docs.virtuemart.net/ Next version have also a direct help button like other joomla components, which directly display the updated content of docs.virtuemart.net
If I had developed the new vm2, I had only published the version from 2.0.0 till 2.0.12 as developer release.
But now VM2 was almost a stabile Produkt.
I like it to use it for e-commerce projects. To all developers, thanks for this free product!!
Thank you very much. Yes viewing back we agree with you. But on the other hand, people already started to create live stores with the 1.9.8 version.
Thank you for your very worthful review. People like you give us the power to rise above ourselves :-)
I am very frustrated with the way this product has turned out.
1. out of the box, your store will be butt ugly. To change anything whatsoever, you must be pretty fluent in CSS and PHP. After hours and weeks, your store might get a look that you can live with. By that time you will be promped to upgrade the software, and all the coding and tweaking you have done, is gone, and the store is butt ugly again.
2. WHEN you try to upgrade, you will not succeed! The autoupgrade will not be able to do the job, and your store will most probably have 10 lines of error messages next time you try to enter it.
3. at this point you will be at the mercy of the forum(as there is no usable documentation at all). You can ask your questions, and if yu are lucky, some moderator answers with a link to another topic that has unanswered questions too.
The list goes on and on, but to make it short: If you dont have extencive knowledge in PHP and CSS, do NOT choose this module.
If you that somethig that LOOKS thrustworty for your customers, do NOT choose this component.
If, for some reason you want something reliable, that you can trust in, do NOT chose this module.
If you like to be able to sleep at night, and don't enjoy working all night, because your client did't expext his store to crash, because he did something as foolish as update the software("they wrote it was not going to mess with the layout, or the SQL and tables...")DO NOT CHOOSE THIS MODULE
I know its free, I KNOW people have been working hard without pay to make this software, I KNOW they did their best! But at the end of the day, free can be very expencive, when it doesent do the job.
It's a shame. Virtuemart used to be good, back in the days of 1.1
Because it is an extension for Joomla, it's not for everybody as it takes more work to keep the system up and running properly, but for the same reason Joomla + Virtuemart can offer you much more than average shopping cart. I do not recommend it if you are looking for easiest system but if you are willing to spend some time with it, go ahead,It's free for goodness sake!
Migrations have always been troublesome.
Thank you for your review!