Based on Joomla MVC framework with all its advantage:
- Template overriding,
- Implementation of Joomla Plugins for: payment, shipment, coupons, calculation rules, custom product fields, ...
- Simple installation and integration of other joomla extensions.
- Joomla 2.5 ACL
- nested categories
- with meta tags for seo
- with description and media
- with meta tags for seo
- short and long description
- dimensions (weight, size)
- multiple media
- variants, attributes
- unlimited child products and derivated levels
- product pattern (Parent product used as pattern for child products)
- related products
- reviews and ratings
- pricing depending by shoppergroups
- price display depending by shoppergroups
- payment/shipment depending by shoppergroups
- customizable shopper input form
- input form depended on registration, checkout or shipment
- default Bill-to and Ship-to address
- default payment and shipment method
- stock warning
- virtual stock (ordered but not finally bought)
- various type of prices to display depended by shoppergroup
- prices adjusted by shopper choosen currency
- different currency format per currency
- unit price
- quantity based pricing
REAL MULTI CURRENCY
- auto updating rates
- add your own currencies for fixed currency rates
- default SEF/SEO integrated
- discounts based on time, category, shoppergroup, country, and state
- tax based on time, category, shoppergroup, country, and state
- discounts, tax per product and/or order
- discounts, tax have their own currencies (for duties)
- based on plugins, already onboard:PayPal, Paypal Pro, Paypal Express Checkout, Klarna and Klarna Checkout, Sofort Banking and Sofort iDeal, Skrill, Heidelpay, Authorize.net, (and a lot more in the net)
- minimal amount / maximal amount to use a payment
- transaction fees
- by countries
- by shopper groups
- based on plugins
- by shopper groups
- by countries
- guest checkout; completly anonymous checkout
- option to register at begin of checkout
- cart is an object, competly overridable by template
- cart is stored in the session
- multi-page checkout
- one page checkout
- payment/shipment workflow
- order tracking for anonymous users
- order editing
- pdf invoice, delivery note
- topten (most sold)
- native with joomla 1.7
- with extra joomla components (joomfish) for joomla 1.5
MARKETING PROMOTION AND TOOLS
- coupon handling
- recommend a product to friend link
- mail to shoppers who bought the product
- debugging tool
I also work with OSCommerce / XT and can confirm that Virtuemart does a much fresher feel and is much more user friendly.
Templating is improved by taking advantage of Joomla 2.5's override methods.
I always end up paying less for any add-ons I need to go with it than with other carts.
On top of all that, I get great support from the development team.
I used virtuemart with sucess some years ago but i do not know what happend to it because i got TONS of red lines when trying to install the latest package on 2.5
And the errors kept comming LOTS of them so i decided to trash it all before it completly destroyed my site.
Never again !
Thank you for taking the time to share your comments, VM2 is quite different
from VM1 in the same way as Joomla 1.0, 1.5 and now 2.0.
I agree there are some small issues that, we as a community need to address,
however these take time and never appear when first installed. We have found
many people presume VM2 is much like VM1 when it is not, like a 1960's mini
and a mini made in 2012, they are different, If you do a fresh install into
a fresh Joomla installation everything works, then you need to dedicate a
little time configuring it, this required configuration is slightly
different than the previous version, so people presume it does not work.
A prime example would be the strict error message you get when you first
install, demanding you create a directory for your invoices and downloads,
this is annoying, but in place for the shop owners safety and many people
ignore this, but it is there to help people, it's an important job to carry
out, yet some people have complained about it. If you have any problems, the
community forum is full of help, please head over there and you will find
your answers or community members that are prepared to help you.
On one hand you say vm1 was nice, on the other hand you say vm2 is missing the one page checkout. Vm1 never had a one page checkout. Why are in the last reviews so many lies?
Very clunky install and some time before I realised that cited Payment (eg. WorldPay) and Shipping methods are not included.
A visit to the forum (with unreadable captchas requiring repeated retries and enforced long password policy meaning that I couldn't use the same credentials as I use for every other forum on the web) proved fruitless.
Shopping cart is much like any other but very cumbersome.
Decided to stop wasting time and bought a commercial extension instead which is Ace and was running in a fraction of the time.
Admittedly, it is free, but commercial offerings are only around $60 which is well worth it for simplicity (and you have to buy all VirtueMart plug-ins otherwise included anyway).
If you want a free simple shopping cart, this is not the answer either - there are far easier components to work with.
Probably my worst Joomla! extension experience to date.
What should this mean "clunky install". It is a normal installation of a joomla extension. Also there are payments included, there is a standard shipment included. Yes it is only one shipment, but the one is more mighty then the 3 before.
And you dont have to buy any plugin.
"adjusting the templates is a nightmare"
Maybe for non joomla templaters.
The free extensions in vm1 grown over some years. A lot people like the new interface more and say it is faster, more intuitive to use, and cleaner. It is a matter of taste and habits.
However it seems like VM 2 suffers of some price rounding issues which are very bad for an e-commerce shopping cart.
I like this extension and I strongly encourage authors to fix critical bugs.
I must say, it does all I need and if I need more (like a wish list, for example) I can buy a plug in to do so. I disagree with people regarding this. This guys give us a full component for free to sell online and get money out of it. So you earn money thanks to VM but you don’t want to spent a bit of money to customize it? That’s greedy and unfair.
I live in Argentina so everything is more expensive for me here in dollars. I don’t have money for this shop because its mine (not for a client), its not giving me money yet and I don’t have savings. Anyways, I am sure when I can have a bit of money I will put it in adding things by buying plug ins.
The component works great, I had a few issues trying to customize order emails and found it. Did it and posted it on the VM forum so everybody can know how to do it. Do you really expect this guys to do the whole component, the plug ins and the instructions manual all in a few days and for free? We should help each other here people!
I also had a few problems with the saving of the users info on front-end and back-end and they were SO helpful. I originally wrote on the forum, which is what I think people should do first. I lot of things are already solved in there and a lot of people can help. Then, when I got nothing, they told me how to contact them and they spent hours helping me to solve the problem. And you know what? Afters hours of guiding me one-on-one we solved the problems.
THANK YOU MILBO for all your kind help!
I have a template and overrides and I did a few things wrong and they helped me even when a part of it was my own fault. So, don’t complain people, help, understand, ask for help, get in the forum. And please, PLEASE, say thank you every once in a while for all this free things you get doing nothing. This people deserve that at least.