Please read our full list of features here
Based on Joomla MVC framework with all its advantage:
- Template overriding,
- Implementation of Joomla Plugins for: payment, shipment, coupons, calculation rules, custom product fields, ...
- Simple installation and integration of other joomla extensions.
- Joomla ACL
- nested categories
- with meta tags for seo
- with description and media
- with meta tags for seo
- short and long description
- dimensions (weight, size)
- multiple media
- variants, attributes
- unlimited child products and derivated levels
- product pattern (Parent product used as pattern for child products)
- related products
- reviews and ratings
- pricing depending by shoppergroups
- price display depending by shoppergroups
- payment/shipment depending by shoppergroups
- customizable shopper input form
- input form depended on registration, checkout or shipment
- default Bill-to and Ship-to address
- default payment and shipment method
- stock warning
- virtual stock (ordered but not finally bought)
- various type of prices to display depended by shoppergroup
- prices adjusted by shopper choosen currency
- different currency format per currency
- unit price
- quantity based pricing
REAL MULTI CURRENCY
- auto updating rates
- add your own currencies for fixed currency rates
- default SEF/SEO integrated
- discounts based on time, category, shoppergroup, country, and state
- tax based on time, category, shoppergroup, country, and state
- discounts, tax per product and/or order
- discounts, tax have their own currencies (for duties)
- based on plugins, already onboard:PayPal, Paypal Pro, Paypal Express Checkout, Klarna and Klarna Checkout, Sofort Banking and Sofort iDeal, Skrill, Heidelpay, Authorize.net, Realex(and a lot more in the net)
- minimal amount / maximal amount to use a payment
- transaction fees
- by countries
- by shopper groups
- based on plugins
- by shopper groups
- by countries
- guest checkout; completly anonymous checkout
- option to register at begin of checkout
- cart is an object, competly overridable by template
- cart is stored in the session
- multi-page checkout
- one page checkout
- payment/shipment workflow
- order tracking for anonymous users
- order editing
- pdf invoice, delivery note
- topten (most sold)
- native with joomla 2 and 3
- with extra joomla components (joomfish) for joomla 1.5
MARKETING PROMOTION AND TOOLS
- coupon handling
I'm a developer and usually can figure out how to setup a piece of software, but VIrtueMart is really overly complex and non-intuitive. All I wanted to do was have a place where someone could add a text field -- something I did with VirtueMart 1.5.
The software might be great if you can figure it out, but I spend a week and decided to move on to something else.
Only a standard module, and it's NOT WORKING
Only a Paypal and standard payment module, and fully of BUG
Can you believe a shopping cart without these workable core modules? if you are not a programming guru who full of passion and energy to debug someone's poor quality code, please choose other shopping cart!
VIRTUEMART IS DEAD!!!
The core looks solid but once I tried to setup shipping and payment plugins, I felt like something is missing. All they have left is a standard flat rate shipping module. There are hardly any shipping modules available that get automatic quotes from the shipping providers. A commercial USPS plugin is now selling for $63 plus. Other payment modules are also rare. All I found is a "standard" and a PayPal plugin. So what was free in VM 1.1x, seems to be now a little bit more commercial.
There is nothing indicated in the release notes or FAQs that standard features had been removed. You only discover this AFTER installation/configuration.
It is pretty much unusable until the missing payment methods have been restored.
YOU MAY WANT TO CONSIDER POSTING THIS INFORMATION ALL OVER YOUR WEBSITE SO THAT OTHER PEOPLE DON'T WASTE THEIR TIME TOO. THIS IS NOT READY FOR RELEASE ON A LIVE WEBSITE IN ANY WAY SHAPE OR FORM.
I would like to respond to a lot of the negative criticism from other reviewers: first, VM's documentation is good. VM's forum section also has an extensive collection of posts. VM is not a good solution if you do not like to read or you do not know how to search for solutions to potential problems.
VM has an extensive amount of options and will take some time to customize and get just right. A lot of the negative reviews seem to think this is a problem; however for me this is one of the most useful things about it. It makes the extension very flexible and able to accomplish more than a lot of others.
I would not recommend the extension for someone who is lazy or who doesn't want to write (or learn to write) some PHP. That is what keeps me from giving this extension 5 stars. If you are going to build a large site, you will likely have to tweak it just a bit in order to get it to work just right. You can find a lot of great workarounds in the VM forums, and I recommend that if you tweak VM that you share your solutions with the VM community.
For people who are comfortable with PHP and CSS, this is a 5 star extension, for less experienced developers or people who are short on time I would say it is a 4.
I struggled to install it, to use the extension directory (which could be much better organized) and to customize it. I wanted to use it for a book store, and only found one theme that could accommodate books. However it was a commercial theme and didn't look so good, so I ended up just using the default theme.
Despite all its faults, other extensions pale in comparison. So I used it for my site anyway.
My advice is to have a play with it on a test site, and if you can't set it up, seek paid help from a freelance (I used PeoplePerHour, here in the UK). Once VM is set up, I have found it to be fairly logical.
I needed a solution that could handle both DVD sales and movie downloads. I now have my store working perfectly, with fully automated paid downloads.
It would be nice to see more discount options when products are bought together etc but for now, this works fine.