I have been looking for a Joomla Markdown Editor for a long time, but never found one unfortunately. So I decided to create a plugin for Markdown[^1] extra.
Markdown is intended to be as easy-to-read and easy-to-write as is feasible.
Readability, however, is emphasized above all else. A Markdown-formatted document should be publishable as-is, as plain text, without looking like it’s been marked up with tags or formatting instructions.
Markdown Extra[^2] is a special version of PHP Markdown implementing some features currently not available with the plain Markdown syntax.
The editor is based on the very lighweight markItUp[^3] editor.
The description on JED is written in Markdown syntax. You can see the HTML output on my site: [demo][demolink]
- Download, install and enable the Yoonique Markdown editor plugin.
- Menu `Extensions -> Install`
- Menu `Extensions -> Plugin Manager`
- Download, install and enable the **Yoonique Markdown content plugin** (see download section).
- If the editor doesn't work, it is most likely a jQuery conflict, in that case set `load jqery` to no in the plugin configuration.
- That should be it. If you have any questions, please post in the forum.
[^2]: [Markdown Extra](http://michelf.com/projects/php-markdown/extra/)
- Joomla 3.2 compatible
- dropped support for j15
- updated preview
- Joomla 2.5 compatible
- dropped support for j17
Best thing about it is it works on the iPad. As far as I know, the only editor that works without having to type tags (simpleCE works well, but you still have to type some tags - ever tried typing '' on the iPad?!).