Includes advanced Image/Media, File and Link handling, plugin support, and an Administration interface for editor configuration.
The features I appreciate:
1) Easy image upload and file management compared to the default editor.
2) Better image options when placing it into text.
3) Easy inserting of video/flash.
4) More options for cleaning up HTML or not than the default editor.
I recommend it for sure!
However, that doesn't mean it is an effective, bug-free editor.
* The flash tutorials are great, but very basic.
* Great plug-ins, and lots of control over button layout, and who gets to see them.
* The advanced (member-only, payment required) plug-ins are really nice.
* New Show/Hide HTML link is quick and handy/
* Install is fragmented. Follow the note above. (the nice 1.0.4 Flash tutorial has the install order wrong, so it won't help 1.1.0 users)
* Documentation is pitiful.
* Current 1.1.0 version is beta, so don't expect stability.
* This version breaks compatibility with older plug-ins. This really hurts the product, because you are forced to give up useful plug-ins when you upgrade.
TinyMCE -- The Biggest Drawback:
TinyMCE wound up wasting LOTS of time for us in our last two Joomla projects.
* It doesn't predictably handle structured content based on divs and spans.
* It doesn't handle embedded flash or forms.
* It inconsistently applies named styles from your CSS: maybe you get the tag you wanted, or you might get spans or divs. No rhyme or reason.
* In general, TinyMCE likes to clutter up it's HTML, even with the Clean HTML option set.
If the author of JCE can document the project adequately, and get rid of the bugs, he will have half of a great product. Sadly, all that greatness will still be neutralized by the inadequacies of the TinyMCE editor.
Still, JCE is the best WYSIWYG editor that the Joomla community has.
This is a great plugin, thumbs up to the developer(s).
I'd love to see more community support and more add-ons for it.
Remember that if you unistall and install again, you have to pick the WYSIWYG editor on the site configuration again. i lost about 1 hour of my life figuring that out.
I'm not sure if this is a JCE problem or a Safari problem (actually, it doesn't work in OmniWeb either). I use Firefox when editing my page (it works fine with JCE), but Safari is a much more elegant browser (IMHO). I'd love to be able to use it (or OmniWeb) instead.
I would even propose it replace TinyMCE as the default Joomla editor. It basically removes the need for Image lists and mosimage tags, has a wonderful plugin for flash content and does everything you might want to do in content from the editor.
Most annoying is the embed media functionality that... simply doesn't work. Not only it doesn't work, but if you want to embed a video typing the HTML code manually, JCE will just strip out your custom code! I had to revert to the non wysiwyg editor to embed the videos in my content!
Neither you can create pop-up window links as some other free editors do.
The image browser is good, but it doesn't let you browse the whole site. You're limited to the Joomla image/stories folder. It would be better to have access to the whole site structure, at least if you are administrator or super administrator.
Despite these few negative points, JCE work well. Apart the embed video problem, I haven't noticed any other major bug. It's also quite fast and efficient.
If you mostly use text + images content on your site, JCE will do the job nicely. If you have more complex content, or want to add some custom code and JCE doesn't like it, you may become frustrated.
JCE has a Media Manager plugin that helps with inserting media.
Following the release of 1.1.0 'stable', the Media Manager SE will be available, with the ability to insert FLV files.
The layout and features in JCE are far superior. Even the simple "Paste as plain text" feature was not in the HTML Suite.
If you are thinking about whether to get JCE or HTML Suite then trust me - pick JCE, it is a far superior product.
Due to the incredible poor competition of good editors this one still is the best out there. Beats a lot of payed versions.
But, don't think that it will solve all your problems
FANTASTIC! Thanks Dev - I have sent you a cyber-beer in a virtual frosty glass!