Easily block countries, states / provinces, regions, zip codes / postal codes, and/or area codes from accessing certain areas of a Joomla website (such as login or registration) or the entire site while still allowing IP address / IP range exclusions (such as search engine bots). With our Joomla plugin, you are now able to block access to your website based on Geo-location information. Simply install the plugin, enter the areas you would like to block, and you're done. Blocked visitors will either see a basic textual block message or they will be redirected to another URL, both of which are configured in the settings
On the other hand, if you have a list of only approved countries, states / provinces, regions, zip codes / postal codes, and/or area codes, you may enter those to specifically allow only those areas and block all other areas.
- Block (or explicitly allow) access to the entire site or specified areas of the website (by entering a list of URLs)
- Enter any combination of countries, states / provinces, regions, zip codes / postal codes, and/or area codes
- Exclude IP addresses or range of IP addresses from being blocked using comma separated values, dash separated ranges, CIDR ranges, and wildcards
- External server look-ups mean you get the most up-to-date information without any manual updating or subscription fees
- By default, the plugin uses an external server to look-up geographic IP address location data which is updated once a month. The database is over 99.5% accurate on a country level and 79% accurate on a city level for the US within a 25 mile radius. This requires that your web server supports cURL on port 80 (most web servers do). The plugin also gives you the option of manually downloading the geographic IP location database periodically and uploading to your own server. However, the external server look-up is very fast, very accurate, and is adequate for most users.
- Works with CloudFlare
The plugin has been programmed and tested with all versions of Joomla (1.5, 1.6, 1.7, 2.5, 3.1, 3.2). Feel free to test in other versions of Joomla and report back to us so we can update our information. If you have problems with the plugin in other versions of Joomla and would like us to update the plugin for your version of Joomla, contact us.
Optional access to the external server which looks up the geographic IP address location data requires a monthly payment of $5 per month (or $48 per year) per domain to cover bandwidth and server resources. If you choose to run the plugin using the local server option, you will need to obtain a copy of the GeoIP database (paid and free versions available) from MaxMind and periodically manually update it yourself.
- Tech Advantage
- Last updated:
- Feb 04 2015
- Date added:
- Nov 19 2014
- GPLv2 or later
- Paid download
- Uses updater:
Ease of use
Value for money