GeoContent is a new Joomla! 3.x component that let you create beautiful and fully customizable maps for your Joomla! website. The new version for Joomla! also supports OpenLayers maps.
Standard Joomla Articles, can be bound to geographic features such as POINTs, LINEs and POLYGONs and the resulting maps can be shown in the article page and in an overview map. A single article can be represented by more than one geographic type: so that you can have simultaneously a set of POINTS, some POLYGONS and some LINES for a single Joomla article.
Articles on the map are grouped by layers, appearance can be fully customized through layers configuration.
GeoContent also allows to add geographic items that are not linked to articles.
GeoContent is "free" as in "speech" but not as in "beer", it is only available in bundle with commercial professional paid support, while the lincense remains a free software licence: GPL V.3
This component is professionally supported, this means that we will
- fix bugs
- provide reliable remote assistance and support on the component for 12 months from your subscription
- send you all the updates of the component for 12 months
Advanced input methods
Perhaps the coolest feature, is the availability of two advanced input methods for your geographic objects:
- users can directly draw geographic features from the control panel through an embedded Google Map editor
- users can load geographic data from a GPX (standard GPS format) file
- the new version supports map editing from the front-end too
Coming to the output methods, an interesting optional feature is KML export : yes, you can directly publish your GeoContent powered Joomla! website into Google Earth!
Since articles are grouped by layers, you can change the appearance of a layer and have all map items that belong to that layer changed accordingly.
For each layer, you can style:
- Line/Poly/Point color
- Line/Poly/Point width/tranparency
- Polygon fill color/transparency
- Polygon fill transparency
- Point icon and size
Of course you can configure several aspects of the main map appearance:
- Table Of Content (TOC) type (hidden, list, select)
- TOC position (left, top, right, bottom)
- TOC and main map width (onyl useful for TOC position left and right)
- Which layers should be activated at start (none, all, selected)
- Map dimensions
- KML icon (hide or show)
- Alessandro Pasotti
- Last updated:
- Feb 10 2015
- Date added:
- May 20 2009
- GPLv2 or later
- Paid download
- Uses updater:
Ease of use
Value for money