BookLibrary provides a full-featured book library or book collection management environment on a Joomla-based website. It allows you to manage large book libraries. The component can also be used to easily set up a book selling shop using Amazon if you want. With an Amazon Associates ID (as an Amazon affiliate) you can earn credits with book sales through Amazon, while Amazon takes care of the handling and shipping.
- Full category and subcategory support
- BookID for internal administration
- Lend/Return management, with frontend lend request possibility
- Possibility of frontend book reviews by users, reviews management in the backend
- Built-in ebook support
- Book information and covers retrieved from Amazon through ISBN or entered manually
- Import and export options (CSV, XML, Full)
- Remote files accessed through CURL for added security
- English included, additonal language files can be downloaded from the website
- Requires PHP5 with GD, CURL, XSL
- MB_STRING (for 1.0.x only)
This is the Basic version of BookLibrary, with limited functionality compared to the commercial Pro and Pro Shop versions. Those are available from the OrdaSoft Shop.
On the website you can find language files, manuals, support forums, additional modules and plugins.
Please see the included README for upgrade instructions from previous versions.
General Fixes in this version:
- Fixed rights: higher privilege assigned now includes lower privileges
- Fixed rights: admin can now select multiple groups
- Checks for SOAP, CURL, XSL, GD extension in the PHP installation
- Fixed error new book entry when [ebook support] is set to NO
- Fixed empty main category not showing up with only filled subcategories
- Category & Subcategory now show in Joomla pathway (breadcrumbs)
- Full language name shows in book description frontend (English instead of ENG)
- Category tree now shows subcategories in main list
- Dropdown boxes backend now default to "All Books" and "All Categories"
- Subcategories are shown clearer in dropdown boxes
- Added checks for empty BookID to [Book Manager]
- Added UTF-8 decoding for ISO character set DB (special characters)
- Improved CSV and XML import/export
New options in this version:
- Button [Add Review] with AJAX show-hide form in frontend
- Sorting improvements in [Book Manager]
- Sorting improvements in [Category Manager]
- Pull in book details also with ISBN-13 (for ca, com, uk)
- Possibility to customize eBook download URL
- Administrator can add a direct link to an eBook
- Possbility to assign different folder icons to Categories
- MySQL BookLibrary tables import/export (easy backup and restore)
- Added explanations in [Import/Export Books] tabs
- Sample Data for starting users
- Added explanations and links to BookLibrary websit
Complete and easy to use. Good import/export tools. Very good fetching tool from Amazon to import books data.
AMAZING technical support. I had a problem of malfunction of the component on my site and the support solved it quickly.
The stumble I had with the component was that I wanted to use it not to sell books through Amazon, but to simply use it to catalog business books where I work so employees may check them out. So I deleted the pre-filled Amazon tag info from the settings fields. If you leave the Amazon fields blank, the component will no longer fetch information (book cover, info, etc) from Amazon. It would be nice for an error message or some warning that those fields need to be filled.
Once my question was answered, the component worked beautifully!
I've used dozens of Joomla extensions, and this is one of the best - both in terms of quality and support.
I have testes a bunch of Book-Extensions in the past years. I am experienced in Amazon-Web-Services-Things for allmost 6 years now.
Andrew and the Ordasoft-team just have done a overwhelmingliy great extension. It is just the best extension out there. I have not seen any other
that can compete.
It is very easy to install and there are many features to make it easy for any one to custom it without a single problem.
I installed it on my joomla 2.5.4 in just seconds.
What is great is that it supports also CURL which makes it a very very secure web-application.
The Support is very very good and makes me happy - i am glad that i found this great extension.
Andrew -the developer just answers very very quick and gives the word supppot a new meaning - he provides top-notch support.
To sume it up: i love this app from the bottom of my heart and i am very very happy that i found this superb extension.
@ the developer: keep up the superb work - it rocks!!!
You have friends all over the globe! Greetings
On the whole I like the ext. Although there was no manual to be found, it was intuitive and I could begin adding books in a matter of minutes. The library is formatted ok and the front-end functionality works fine too.
My only quibbles are at the backend, trying to input books. I'm fetching data from amazon.co.uk, and it's not displayed correctly, e.g. sometimes the publisher is wrong, or date of publishing is wrong, or price is wrong. I gather though that these mistakes come from Amazon's end so no fault of the extension, but something to bear in mind when you have to manually alter every book you enter.
Secondly, when the price is fetched, I seem to sometimes get a marketplace price. Often this is a just a few pence, and the price is displayed front end as .15 GBP (for example) - which looks like 15 pounds, not 15p. I have to change all these manually too. It would be better if the extension formatted prices as prices not numbers, i.e with leading zero and two decimal places. A price of 20p is displayed as .2 GBP.
Another annoying point is that books are automatically unpublished when saved - you can't select "publish" when entering the book info. Just another step but when you've got a lot of books it's time consuming.
My work flow is going like this: Add new book- copy/paste ISBN and give my own ID (should be auto if not filled in, imo), select category (should be auto-selected if previously filtered imo), select fetch from amazon.co.uk - SAVE (closes form- need an APPLY button). Re-open form to view fetched data, change to "on my own" for fetching data, correct mistakes (see above), SAVE (again), Click on publish. As far as I can see it would save a lot of time if I could hit APPLY to fetch the data without closing the form, and if I could also select "publish" from the form, or even better configure the ext so that it defaults to "publish".
Having said all that, it is free after all and just what I'm after in terms of frontend.
First of all on ordasoft.com - exist forum - where to you may write about any errors and ask questions.
Bad why you show to us error from Amzon.com? We can't give warranty about correct data what you take from amazon. Amazon.com - work as help for fill book details data.(Thanks for them - they do big work) If it bad for you you may not use it. If you see some error in book details - you always can self correct all.
About Book Price - Now you self may set any format as you wish. And as me seem that very important when human has possibility set any thing self.
We try create Book Library free version very useful with much features but any time you may buy Book Library pro version it has more features. And with that you wil lhelp to us add new features to next Book library version.
But yes Apply - may be will good features.
Very easy to deploy and use. Many thanks to the developer for this very useful extension.
What I found expecially to notice, is the great support provided by the OrdaSoft Team, also for the non commercial version. Thank you.
Still, I think it's great.
1. There is a typo in the search module. It says "Autors" instead of "Authors", and I can't seem to find the bit of code to correct it.
2. I don't want my students to buy the books from Amazon, but I can't get rid of the "buy now" icon on each record.
Other than those two issues, I really like this extension. Thanks.
The next I propos is done on it is working on the display layout but first of all remove the requirement for ISBN, as old books miss this, books doesn't even need to have it, the number may be wrong and you might want to list articles, pamphlets etc
Look like you not check as this Book library software work.
You not checked ordasoft site forum.
Because other you will know: you may fill to book ISBN any number!
Also ISBN - very important in ours component - because with it help many users more simply can add Books details with help Amazon!
Also this software for Book collections !!!
Yes, you can use it for some thing other like articles, pamphlets. But Main aim -this software BOOKs, and for all books NOW ISBN very important !
For those reading, I bought the Pro version right away in order to take advantage of its features which are needed for the library I'm working on which has recently received a donation from a former priest and Bishop who has donated some 300 books to our small town church. Some very rare and old.
I had a problem where I needed to change the default BookID and sort from numberic and unique to alphanumberic and allowing for duplicatons as the classification for this purpose is the Dewey Decimal Classification (shelving) which allows for and encourages duplication. The site admin was both helpful and quick to respond once we overcame the problems that arise between native english speakers and those who aren't.
If you collect things other than books then JCollection is the choice but for books this is the best component I've seen for Joomla at any price. Well supported and well coded judging by it's performance.
This is my first review of any component at joomla and i wish I would have given 50 stars to it.....Made an account on joomla just to write this review for this wonderful component.Thanx a lot..ordasoft.