BookLibrary provides a full-featured book library or book collection management environment on a Joomla-based website. It allows you to manage large book libraries. The component can also be used to easily set up a book selling shop using Amazon if you want. With an Amazon Associates ID (as an Amazon affiliate) you can earn credits with book sales through Amazon, while Amazon takes care of the handling and shipping.
- Full category and subcategory support
- BookID for internal administration
- Lend/Return management, with frontend lend request possibility
- Possibility of frontend book reviews by users, reviews management in the backend
- Built-in ebook support
- Book information and covers retrieved from Amazon through ISBN or entered manually
- Import and export options (CSV, XML, Full)
- Remote files accessed through CURL for added security
- English included, additonal language files can be downloaded from the website
- Requires PHP5 with GD, CURL, XSL
- MB_STRING (for 1.0.x only)
This is the Basic version of BookLibrary, with limited functionality compared to the commercial Pro and Pro Shop versions. Those are available from the OrdaSoft Shop.
On the website you can find language files, manuals, support forums, additional modules and plugins.
Please see the included README for upgrade instructions from previous versions.
General Fixes in this version:
- Fixed rights: higher privilege assigned now includes lower privileges
- Fixed rights: admin can now select multiple groups
- Checks for SOAP, CURL, XSL, GD extension in the PHP installation
- Fixed error new book entry when [ebook support] is set to NO
- Fixed empty main category not showing up with only filled subcategories
- Category & Subcategory now show in Joomla pathway (breadcrumbs)
- Full language name shows in book description frontend (English instead of ENG)
- Category tree now shows subcategories in main list
- Dropdown boxes backend now default to "All Books" and "All Categories"
- Subcategories are shown clearer in dropdown boxes
- Added checks for empty BookID to [Book Manager]
- Added UTF-8 decoding for ISO character set DB (special characters)
- Improved CSV and XML import/export
New options in this version:
- Button [Add Review] with AJAX show-hide form in frontend
- Sorting improvements in [Book Manager]
- Sorting improvements in [Category Manager]
- Pull in book details also with ISBN-13 (for ca, com, uk)
- Possibility to customize eBook download URL
- Administrator can add a direct link to an eBook
- Possbility to assign different folder icons to Categories
- MySQL BookLibrary tables import/export (easy backup and restore)
- Added explanations in [Import/Export Books] tabs
- Sample Data for starting users
- Added explanations and links to BookLibrary websit
I had a problem where I couldn't get it to fetch information from Amazon. I knew that the problem was hosting related because it worked on another site with a different host.
Nevertheless, Ordasoft gave me speedy and thorough support and got it working right. They could have been like many other component developers and told me to talk to my host, but I appreciate that they worked with me.
I have not purchased the premium version,but I plan to as soon as its financially feasible. It's not that expensive of a component, though.
If you can't get Ordasoft to work, just email them and/or check your php settings.
As other reviewers have noted, support is also a hurdle. During our evaluation period, forums on Ordasoft's site were inaccessible. Unlike most user support forums, Ordasoft's cannot be read by unregistered readers, and the registration process was broken. We also sent multiple support queries directly to the support email (which is synonymous with the sales email). Ordasoft did not respond.
I look forward to seeing this extension evolve. it has good potential. For now, however, I regret the money we spent on it.
Pro is lacking any css templating, so if you have a white background site, then you are in luck. Anything else, well..unfortuantely your just out of luck.
On ordasoft.com - all forum topic - have reply. Some exception - if that questions about some other - not site created components.
And all errors always resolve ASAP for every plugins or component from ordasoft.com site
From all most interesting so Larae - not buy any pro version and not send any question to support forum.
Perhaps adding an additional consolidated view without the images could help those who have lots of books.
Thanks for GPLing it...
1) It's not multilanguage. Tried to enter a couple of books in a non english language and the characters were wrong.
2) It has problems with my template (a rocket theme one) and from what I saw from the forum the problem is recurrent.
If the problems do get resolved I will definitelly go for the Pro version which looks awesome (at least on paper) but for now it's a no go
1) It's not multilanguage.
It there exist multi language and now supported dutch, english, french, german, germani, italian, russian and spanish languages.
Maybe you need to read documentation.
2) It has problems with my template (a rocket theme one)
With Joomla Default template - all work excellent. maybe will need check self template first.
2. Not flexible enough, such as can't control whether to show Buy button, etc - requires code hacking.
>1. Doesn't support multilanguage well. Some characters become
For languages dutch, english, french, german, germani, italian, russian, spanish and for very manu users work well, but for deeptii - Not !?
And not wrote any correct remark - what exactly don't work!?
>2. Not flexible enough, such as can't control whether to show >Buy button, etc - requires code hacking.
May be if deeptii can read documentation - he will can found for that description.
* Fixed lend period - don't leave it up to requester.
* Automated email to lender requester when lend is approved
* Extra fields for custom use (we /lend/ books off people to add to our library - I'd like to keep track.
However, as I do not use it for books, but for movies, I would like to suggest that someone create a more generic version (a simple lending library) that would allow people to list and lend anything. I would remove the amazon.com connectivity, which isn't necessary unless you're selling books.
Also, as I have a lot of movies in my library, I would like some more robust list navigation tools. For example an alphabetic listing and an alphabetic quick list (A-Z) and maybe several "sort by" listings like most recently added, highest ratings, etc. (similar to the modules).
Otherwise, everything's great! Keep up the good work!
Jlib dint'work very well for me. So this comes in right time
I just have 4 suggestions to make this libary awesame!!!!!
1) possibility to add custom fields
2) users can submit books at frontend!
3) managing comments art backend,not true database
4) possibility to set amount of books - it means that not only one user can lend book!
Thanks for the suggestions for improvement, have added them to the Wishlist on the forum for the next version.
The BookLibrary Pro Edition has the possibility for frontend book suggestions and a full Review Manager for the comments (where the Free Edtion has review management per single book)
This is the one...... works perfectly and effortlessly. Very easy to set up, the pages it creates and displays are very attractive, and it works without a hiccup. Simply add the ISBN number from the book, and it does the rest. It imports the title, author, price, description, photo and more, and automatically creates a "buy" button keyed to your Amazon Associates account.
This is simply elegant..... great job guys!
There have been a few bugs, and i have reported some and fixed others and shared the fixes with the authors for the next version.
There are other great modules and addons for this.
- GOTO Forum for these
SEF Url Support
Top Books Module
Latest Book Module
Great work by the authors, look forward to seeing the next version, and contributing to this project as best I can.
I am using this on a site for a mountaineering club to display a list of books. It works pretty well, and is certainly way better than a static list.
I have found a few 'bugs' though, the worst of which is that the 'lend' functionality from the front end does not work at all if you restrict it to registered users.
Its also a shame that books cannot be added to the library from the front end. We have a 'librarian' in the club whom I have had to enable back-end access for so he can maintain the list of books.
It would be nice if there were support for DVD's in there as well.
I guess its a fairly new component, and I look forward to it evolving!
Thanks for the review. It is better to post bugs you find in the component support forum, as we are already working on a new improved version. That way we can include the fixes...
You can see what the component is for on this site: to show a collection of books on a website (whether virtual or a real library), with possibility for lend requests and reviews by users.
The component is quite easy to use:
- Install the component
- Configure backend and frontend settings in the admin
- Create a menu link to the component (Menu manager in Joomla)
- in the backend, create a book category
- Go to "manage books"
- Enter a new book using "New" button
You can look up book ISBN numbers on Amazon or some other book site. With ISBN numbers entered in the book, you don't need to enter all book details manually but can pull them in from Amazon. You can of course enter book details manually also, if you want.
- Save the book
Once you have the book saved, select the book in BookManager
- Click "Refetch information" (twice, also on next page)
This will download the info from Amazon for that book.
- Now in "Book Manager" publish the book.
That's it, you're done. The book will now show up in the frontend in your site in the category you created.