BookLibrary provides a full-featured book library or book collection management environment on a Joomla-based website. It allows you to manage large book libraries. The component can also be used to easily set up a book selling shop using Amazon if you want. With an Amazon Associates ID (as an Amazon affiliate) you can earn credits with book sales through Amazon, while Amazon takes care of the handling and shipping.
- Full category and subcategory support
- BookID for internal administration
- Lend/Return management, with frontend lend request possibility
- Possibility of frontend book reviews by users, reviews management in the backend
- Built-in ebook support
- Book information and covers retrieved from Amazon through ISBN or entered manually
- Import and export options (CSV, XML, Full)
- Remote files accessed through CURL for added security
- English included, additonal language files can be downloaded from the website
- Requires PHP5 with GD, CURL, XSL
- MB_STRING (for 1.0.x only)
This is the Basic version of BookLibrary, with limited functionality compared to the commercial Pro and Pro Shop versions. Those are available from the OrdaSoft Shop.
On the website you can find language files, manuals, support forums, additional modules and plugins.
Please see the included README for upgrade instructions from previous versions.
General Fixes in this version:
- Fixed rights: higher privilege assigned now includes lower privileges
- Fixed rights: admin can now select multiple groups
- Checks for SOAP, CURL, XSL, GD extension in the PHP installation
- Fixed error new book entry when [ebook support] is set to NO
- Fixed empty main category not showing up with only filled subcategories
- Category & Subcategory now show in Joomla pathway (breadcrumbs)
- Full language name shows in book description frontend (English instead of ENG)
- Category tree now shows subcategories in main list
- Dropdown boxes backend now default to "All Books" and "All Categories"
- Subcategories are shown clearer in dropdown boxes
- Added checks for empty BookID to [Book Manager]
- Added UTF-8 decoding for ISO character set DB (special characters)
- Improved CSV and XML import/export
New options in this version:
- Button [Add Review] with AJAX show-hide form in frontend
- Sorting improvements in [Book Manager]
- Sorting improvements in [Category Manager]
- Pull in book details also with ISBN-13 (for ca, com, uk)
- Possibility to customize eBook download URL
- Administrator can add a direct link to an eBook
- Possbility to assign different folder icons to Categories
- MySQL BookLibrary tables import/export (easy backup and restore)
- Added explanations in [Import/Export Books] tabs
- Sample Data for starting users
- Added explanations and links to BookLibrary websit
There have been a few bugs, and i have reported some and fixed others and shared the fixes with the authors for the next version.
There are other great modules and addons for this.
- GOTO Forum for these
SEF Url Support
Top Books Module
Latest Book Module
Great work by the authors, look forward to seeing the next version, and contributing to this project as best I can.
I am using this on a site for a mountaineering club to display a list of books. It works pretty well, and is certainly way better than a static list.
I have found a few 'bugs' though, the worst of which is that the 'lend' functionality from the front end does not work at all if you restrict it to registered users.
Its also a shame that books cannot be added to the library from the front end. We have a 'librarian' in the club whom I have had to enable back-end access for so he can maintain the list of books.
It would be nice if there were support for DVD's in there as well.
I guess its a fairly new component, and I look forward to it evolving!
Thanks for the review. It is better to post bugs you find in the component support forum, as we are already working on a new improved version. That way we can include the fixes...
You can see what the component is for on this site: to show a collection of books on a website (whether virtual or a real library), with possibility for lend requests and reviews by users.
The component is quite easy to use:
- Install the component
- Configure backend and frontend settings in the admin
- Create a menu link to the component (Menu manager in Joomla)
- in the backend, create a book category
- Go to "manage books"
- Enter a new book using "New" button
You can look up book ISBN numbers on Amazon or some other book site. With ISBN numbers entered in the book, you don't need to enter all book details manually but can pull them in from Amazon. You can of course enter book details manually also, if you want.
- Save the book
Once you have the book saved, select the book in BookManager
- Click "Refetch information" (twice, also on next page)
This will download the info from Amazon for that book.
- Now in "Book Manager" publish the book.
That's it, you're done. The book will now show up in the frontend in your site in the category you created.
The most important thing is, it can implement your Amazon Associate Tag and let you got rewarded if someone click your book link and buy a book from amazon. So you can built a small bookstore in minutes to make money from amazon online bookstore as an affiliate.