A SECURITY RELEASE 3.1 of plugin Google Maps is released and this must be applied to your Joomla installation.
Also a (security) release 2.20 for all websites that still use Google Maps API version 2 and Google's geocoding version 2.
Because Google Maps API version 2 is deprecated from November, please upgrade to the latest version 3.1, version 2.x of the plugin is deprecated too!
The proxy solution (plugin_googlemap3_proxy.php) for kml files had the following vulnerabilities: Denial of Service, XML Injection, Cross-Site Scripting and Full path disclosure vulnerabilities.
In this version the proxy solution is not possible anymore. I am working on a new secure solution.
This version will automatically update in 2.5 and 3.x.
If you want to upgrade from version 2.x then:
1. Install the new version 3.1. This is a new plugin, it does not replace the version 2.x plugin!
2. Do not open the plugin configuration! First you need to enable the new system plugin called "System - Google Map" in the list of plugins by clicking the red dot in the status column. This is the only way to copy all your parameters from the old plugin to the new one!
3. After enabling the plugin in the correct way (point 2) you can check if the settings of the old plugin are copied correctly by opening the new plugin configuration settings.
4. After that you can disable the old system plugin called "Google Map"
This is a version that only support google maps api version 3! Version 2 is deprecated from November 2013 so we need to migrate.
Also added language support for all the parameters: English, French, Italian, Spanish and Swedish.
Please send me language files so I can add them to the plugin. Goto my website to contact me.
Look at the demo site first for documentation. If you've problems please do the checklist on the site: http://tech.reumer.net/Google-Maps/Documentation-of-plugin-Googlemap/checklist-placing-plugin-in-article.html
If this doesn't help or you have questions or new wishes please fill in the form on my website with an url that shows the problem and version of the plugin and Joomla.
(when editing article goto html view to remove returns or < br /> when you copy this example)
Is there anyting to make it better?
Some slight additional documentation within the panel would make it even perfect - specifically. the input format for entering multi API key.
second a link beside the input api box that takes you the page where you can apply for a google maps key would make it easy for lazy asses like me.
I have installed and tried the 3 extension on this site that seemed to fit my requirement: SVMaps, GoogleMap and this plugin Googlemaps.
Bottomline, Googlemaps was the only one the worked flawless for me.
I was at first a little hestitent of learning the KML-file, but later found out that it's only necessary if you need several individual markers and the KML file can be generated through MyMaps on Google-Maps itself, so no problem.
Issues I saw with the other plugins:
- SourisVerteMap: There is a commercial disclaimer and the Google-Map-Popups / tooltip is not active
- GoogleMap: Definitely very close second. Unfortunately did not work for me, due to some intereference of code on my side. Also great and quick response over forum and provides better frontend to manage several markers.
Just today, I had a small request with dealing with distorted custom icons. Mike answered right away and solved my problem. Now my map is already live and I'm happy!
- Fast, problem-solving focussed response
- Extensible through using KML
- Supersimple installation (only 1 plugin-file)
- With the help of MyMaps on GoogleMaps easy to configure
- Extensive documentation and examples
@davidosullivan: You may want to publish it on a content page, which you can than publish in a module (e.g. module place here). It is very simple to move it around and there is no need for a hack.
For me that just isn't on as I do not want Joomla updates to screw up any modules that I will have carefully created. Its just one more potential problem that I don't need.
I am using this with EventList, it integrates very well and gives nice look on the site :)
There was a setup issue in the beginning, but Mike was very helpful to help me trace it!
thanks, and keep up the good work!
Mike is also excellent in supporting this product, even though he has no obligation to. He helped me solve an issue with geoxml and I'm really thankful for that.
Great product and a great guy behind it!
The support is fast, clear and polite, got my issue (template's fault not the plugin's) in like an hour, the most important and valuable aspect is that the problem wasn't in the plugin and the author helped me anyway.
in a word: awesome
I have been using this plugin for 2 months. My community loves it. I can display a KML file on a google map. The KML items are from a google calendar. I use yahoo pipes to generate the KML. I was having issues displaying the KML sidebar and Mike was quick to help. Even better, he figured out a way to directly connect the plugin to yahoo pipes. This will save me so much time. Great work Mike.
BOTTOM LINE: if you are looking for a plugin that allows you to add great support for driving directions, general map needs etc... this IS THE ONE. And I never write in all caps.