The beta version as of today's date is different from the stable version, it has the ability to send the content directly to the other site server!
I wrote to the developer after an issue installing and working with the stable version and had a reply back within the hour. Following his instructions to install the beta and read the documentation on his web site was all I needed to get going. Works a charm, what a fantastic tool for moving content to a new installation or onto a new server! This deserves awards and donations for it is going to save anyone who uses it a great, great deal of time.
it's designed primarily for articles other than section/category/user, because only the section/category/user related to the articles will be retrieved/extracted, not all of them.
also it doesn't support two-byte characters like Chinese/Japanse/Korean/.etc. Maybe utf-8 encoding format will be much more preferred.
b.t.w, is it possible to make a incorporation/combination/marriage to Joomlarra's "ARRA User Export&Import" components? cheer!!!
Firstly, I want to thank you for creating and updating this simple but very powerful extension. I searched and waited for a long time for such an useful extension. I tried jix, but didn't figure out how it works. I also had a look at import/export functionality from jseblod cck. As of August 2010, it is not ready yet.
But why wait for jseblod cck when j2xml fills the import/export gap very well.
I want to mention that indeed there were problems with downloading the zip archive for versions prior to 15000005. But, fortunately, I was able to download the 15000005 and 15000006 versions. So, this shouldn't be a concern for other users, as well.
At the end, I want to make a feature request. Please add in the parameters an option to preserve the published on frontpage.
Thanks for everything. Now you can preserve the front page.
The JED should really start screening what gets posted. If you don't have documentation or contact for customers to get ahold of you, you should not be allowed to post.
Thanks for review. All suggestions are accepted. Now you can contact me.
I might be able to figure it out if I had some documentation, but there is none to be found at the moment.
The product would be great, but it does need some documentation, and it would help if failed imports were accompanied by some more complete diagnostic message about the input file.
I'm hoping that there will be some updates to the package. The functionality is very interesting.
Likely the xml file has a wrong encoding. In this case, no item is imported and no error message displays.
In the next release i will add the xml encoding test.