'read less text' will control the article text: it is a read more alternative, much more powerful while respecting existing settings.
• configure the automatic insertion of read more links (respect existing read more, or override),
• configure precisely the length of your intro text: in number of characters, words, sentences or phrases,
• customize the read more links to your liking,
• easily retain and adjust formatting of the shortened text,
• automatically create a linked image in the intro text,
• enforce login to read the whole article (block guests).
• Works on all output of all components; not just com_content.
• Fully supports multi-byte languages.
All this precisely on those pages you want. This plugin will ensure similar formatting on your site, even when different authors use different styles.
• For very site-specific configurations, you can use 'contexts' to precisely define when the plugin may be active: for which combination of components, views and articles. For a best understanding, it is advised to read the help text on the left side of the configuration page, and to use the Discover mode, which is a great aid for both setting up this plugin and checking its working.
• Now also caching the default thumbnail, so that the article doesn't need to be rescanned every time.
• The option 'Respect Position Existing Read More' rejected the 'No' option. Fixed.
• Small performance optimization for J2.5.5+ (correctly this time).
• Regression: thumbnail cache was incorrectly checked and therefore always considered invalid, causing a performance drop. Fixed. _Huge_ kudos to gabs087!
• Small performance optimization for J2.5.5+. Kudos to gabs087 again!
• Fixed a warning when CURLOPT_FOLLOWLOCATION was set while safe_mode or open_basedir was set.
• Word count was not always available. Fixed.
• Removing all tags could sometimes eat an extra space. Fixed (bis).
• Now respecting the option show_intro from com_content: if set, the full text is not considered when shortening.
• The suffix is split in two: an inline version glued to the last part, before closing all tags; and a post-version, after all is closed.
• Added a wrapper tag with class options, encapsulating each shortened article, allowing for further formatting.
• More flexibility regarding what to do within component or module scopes.
Hi, thank you for your kind review!
I'm confused by your request. read less text already can create thumbnails from images in the article, and provides the field 'Default Thumbnail' which can be used to provide a fallback image.
Can you contact me directly, so it can be discussed?
The plugin provides some information on the left hand side when you configure the plugin, and the tooltips should provide you with a lot of information about each single option.
Apart from that, you can contact me trough the forum (click support above), but you may also email me directly (my email address can be found in the Extension Manager, tab Manage: hover over my name in the row where read less text is listed).
Hope this helps a bit,
Thanks you guys.
After installing and configuring your plugin it was a done deal and I can't believe that I never have to insert a Read More link again cause it does it all for me just where I want...
Thank you so so so so much... I'm a happy guy now...
That looks like a very nasty (and unintended!) bug. Can you contact me (via email or via the forum), so this can get fixed?
Thank you for this plug-in. Best Regards!
Thank you for your review!
v3.3 now sets a default suffix in a fresh installation. Hopefully this will reduce the initial confusion somewhat.
Pity because yours is a very nice piece of code. I want to use this !! Suggestions