AJAX Scroller is a Web 2.0 module for Joomla! that displays and scrolls your site's Articles, Banners, RSS feeds, Twitter updates, Virtuemart products or other items which are loaded dinamically using different animation effects.
It can be used to present newsflashes, testimonials, latest news, banners, remote RSS feeds, Twitter updates, web-shop products or any other content with autoplay or manual scrolling. It's highly optimized, smart and smooth.
AJAX Scroller module for Joomla is highly optimized, hundreds of articles can be displayed and scrolled without any additional load on your website. It uses AJAX technology to pre-load the next article in advance so it's ready for scroll without delay. Once all items are fetched the remote requests stop while scrolling can continue. The whole process is performed without page refresh, quickly, smoothly and user friendly.
You can even duplicate the module and show different slideshows on same page. It can be configured to display several articles at once and remember the last viewed item on page refresh. AJAX Scroller is simple to install and use but powerful in terms of configurations.
AJAX Scroller key features:
• AJAX technology, making the module very quick and user friendly
• Highly optimized, pre-loading articles in advance
• Stops remote requests when all elements are fetched
• Can display unlimited number of articles without affecting the page load
• Can display and scroll several articles at a time
• Remembers the last viewed article and starts there on page refresh
• In addition to Articles, it can display Banners, remote RSS feeds, Twitter updates and Virtuemart products
• User and friends timeline, mentions, lists and keyword search support for Twitter
• Vertical, horizontal scroll and fade switch
• Appealing visual animation slide effects including linear, expo, bounce, back, elastic
• Select displayed articles by category, multiple categories or frontpage state
• Different ordering options including random order
• Can display article images, parsing image mambots
• Optional title and read more link to the article
• Can display only intro, full text or both, limit the text length
• Navigation next/prev buttons, play/pause button and loading image
• Auto play with customizable pause time
• Strong styling possibilities, uses CSS to customize the appearance
• Possibility to display module within article content using loadposition plugin/mambot
• Possibility to display multiple instances on the same page, with individual styling
• Compatible with 3rd party plugins to open links in a lightbox rather than in a new window
• Joomla! 2.5, 1.7, 1.6, 1.5 native (no legacy mode required) and 1.0 compatible
• Uses Mootools only, framework already loaded in Joomla, no jQuery or any other additional frameworks required
• Supports Joomfish
• Works with all major browsers: Internet Explorer, Firefox, Opera, Safari and Chrome
You can customize many parameters even if you are NOT a programmer.
VERY GOOD support from the Author: just ask and the answer will arrive very fast,
I hope that there will be new versions with more features in the future.
It installed and worked out of the box.
The default styles are easily editable in the style.css and I love how you can simple have a module specific CSS file by naming your file style.css. Great feature!
I was able to install, configure and style this to exactly meet my needs in a couple of hours.
I love the ajax loading, which is clean and fast and doesn't stack articles on initial display like some other modules I've tried (YooTheme Carousel for one).
Help page is adequate. Would be nice to have some height & width attributes configurable via the admin, but they're easy enough to find and edit in the css file.
Looking forward to playing around with this module some more.
Thanks for the review. But not sure what you mean. If you visit the demo at http://joomla15.sakic.net/ajax-scroller/ you can see that you can scroll both up and down, left and right and fade transition.
The documentation is the only concern, it would be great if the developer goes into more detail about the css options when it comes to styling the component. Sometimes you have to guess about what you have to tweak on the css file to make it look like you want it to look.
Some knowledge of css can help with this module. The more you know the more you can mold it to your template or web layout.
I would have given it an excellent rating if there were more controls or at least individual classes for the two navigation images.
I posted on the forum for this module, a technique for controlling the navigation arrow images entirely with css.
The navigation images are "hard coded" with this module. Size, position url etc. The css for those images controls both left and right the same.
To over ride this I used the "first-child" pseudo class. The two nav images are in one div. The "first-child" is the left arrow image. Any changes in that style use "!important" to over ride the other img style.
By replacing the main images with transparent png files you can use this technique to move the images around, change the size, create hover images etc etc.
The new version introduces a new CSS format which greatly simplifies individual modifications including navigation buttons changes.
I directed you to FAQ which says that the modules which use jQuery library may conflict with AJAX Scroller. My module use Mootools, the library used by Joomla itself. So it's not my fault but the other modules that you use on your site. The FAQ suggests to remove jQuery and then the module will work. There is no reason to use jQuery as it will only slow down your site to load two heavy JS libraries.