For upgrade install it over old version.
This module maintains CSS from the article with no hacks or editing PHP.
What it does well (my opinion):
- "module template" setting lets you display or remove category, section, author, date, title, text, etc from the output
- "show images" lets you scale or use "as-is"
- "into / full text" - select what to get from the article
- can specify various categories or sections by ID or can specify individual articles. Very flexible.
It also sets up very easily and is so far bug-free (not a common attribute in this category).
But the simplicity and the number of options that this module provides blows the gavick news G3 out of the water!
I have this same module displaying news in 6 different locations on my homepage and they all look like different modules. This is such a versatile module that I use it 80% of the time. It's always my first choice. WAY TO GO!
Not mentioned: Since I decided to migrate to 1.5 soon, my first and foremost criteria of using content related modules now is the question, if the content can be displayed tableless. This is the first one I tried amongst others and is able to do. Excellent and very well done Boris, thank you ...
I have this issue for long long time and DISPLAY News by BK solve the problem. How you ask? firstly: many many options, secondly: modul and not just one!
Grate work guys!
1. May be I didn't notice in J1.O but in J1.5, it made my site very very slow when I used several of them in the same page with different querries. The difference is easily felt. After I remove them, the site comes back to normal.
2. The most important feature, author auto detect, is not working in J1.5. I was the best feature ever in its class, there is literally no other that can automatically detect the author and displays their other articles in a specified section/category. If in feature release they can solve this issue and put the author avatar, we could have one of the best modules in Joomla world. I would be ready to pay even a $100 for such a module. I don't understand developers, a decent author module is a must, but they don't write one. Many of them writes same type modules for which there are tens of different varieties.
3. There is no option for not displaying the intro. In a module usually we don't need intro text. They clutter the space.
I hope these issues would be solved in feature releases.
Issues 2 and 3 fixed in 1.5.10.
For performance issue contact me directly.
HOWEVER! (using version 1.5.9)
If I enable the Text filter and char or word limit, the entire page does not render, and the source becomes blanked out. The page no longer loads.
ALSO, the module class suffix does NOT work, and does not append to the styles like .contentpagetitle and whatnot.
I really would like to see the text limiting work. Or else I would have to reformat a ton of articles that I've already input.
Great work though! It's the simple additions to websites and great modules like this that make Joomla! way more robust and easier.
css suffix issue fixed in 1.5.10.
For text limitation problem contact me directly.
Thanks for a great extension
really solved some issues for me. the options are wide and varied and very useful.
especially if you copy the module, you can have different menu items displaying the same article, bit of a work around for articles in more than one cat or section. but works well in my case.
I only have one suggestion for the author(and it is minor), having a drop down list for author, section, cat would be nice. Saves the hassle of going backward and forward all the time to update the different display areas.
oh and a forum would be nice....
the only thing that i noticed with this mod is there seems to be a delay on posts. example, i would create a content and it would show on the main body, but it doesnt appear in the mod for about 6-8 hours later.
Fixed in latest release
I contacted Boris and he configured the module in brilliant way and the module is working perfectly.
I found Display News (mod_dn) is one the best module to display news in different way using different filters. It is very easy to configure this module.
Thanks Boris for a great module and excellent support to the community.