Features include, but are not limited to:
- Three image sizes: Thumbnails - Detail images - Original images (thumbnails and detail images are created automatically out of the original images)
- Manifold possibilities in the detail view: Voting, commenting, BBCode for external linking, "Send to a friend" feature, adding nametags ("That’s me!" and also adding nametags for other users), Slideshow with several transition effects, mini thumbnails of category in a motion gallery
- Configurable watermark
- Exif and IPTC image data support
- Access rights for categories according to Joomla's user groups
- Fully implemented ACL of Joomla! 2.5.x
- User-created uploads and categories
- Password-protected categories
- Time span for upload limit in frontend
- Favourites: Users may store and download their favourite images (in a zip archive)
- Option to download single images
- Counting image downloads
- Cooliris support
- Google Maps support (GeoTagging)
- Search function in gallery
- Configurable view of toplists (top rated, last added, last commented, most viewed)
- Possibility to exclude images from toplists and the search
- Several upload possibilities from backend and frontend: Single upload, Batch upload (Zip), Drag'n'Drop-Upload with progress bar, Java upload, FTP upload (last one only in backend)
- Image processing using GD, GD2 or ImageMagick
- Afterwards resizing of detail images and thumbnails
- Square thumbnails possible
- Possibility of using content plugins in image and category descriptions
- Possibility to explicitly reject images and to send message about rejection reason
- Expand Joomla-Breadcrumbs
- Unlimited nested categories possible
- CSS-based layout (table-free, wherever possible)
- MVC structured code, template overrides possible for every view
- Module positions inside the gallery
- Several plugin events triggered by JoomGallery on certain events in order to interact with third-party extensions
- An interface class (API) gives other extensions (Plugins, Modules, ...) the possibility to integrate JoomGallery content
- Huge third-party support: There are JoomGallery extensions available for many third-party extensions: Community Builder, Community Builder Enhanced, JomSocial, Kunena, AlphaUserPoints, JComments, JomComment, XMap, sh404SEF, Artio JoomSEF, SEFAdvanced, JoomFish, reCaptcha.
- Plugins for displaying or linking images in content articles or for automatically creating user categories
- Update-Checker and
It perfectly meets my needs for a gallery. For me as a hobby coder the biggest plus is the so called interface that makes it very easy to communicate with the gallery from modules or other components.
It is very easy to create Joomgallery modules or joomgallery plugins for other components.
Another great thing about Joomgallery is the team itself. Not many components and even less of the compleatly free components have such a good/responsive support forum.
its allways a pleasure to work with Joomgallery and the Joomgallery team.
I must say that I do not share all the enthusiasm of most people about joomgallery.
But good things first: What I like about joomgallery is the way it handles image gallery from start to finish, with categories (nested if needed), thumbnails up to the enlarged view, with comment support and most of all it allows editors that don't understand much about computers to upload new albums easily. That's nice
But for me it has several serious drawbacks that made me decide not to use it, although I'm sure they're a quick fix for the developers:
- It's overly complicated: there are probably more than a 100 parameters we can change to customize it. Don't get me wrong, I like customization and it's nice to be able to change the look and feel, but for me that's way too many parameters and it gets very confusing. But well, this is not why I wouldn't use it.
- I don't understand why there are so many views to see the photos: for each category there are 3: Thumbnails, detail (too small to my taste) and then another one which can be the original or use different display modes like popups. It means that by default to see each photo the way I want to see them (meaning full screen or almost) I have to click twice and go through these 3 steps... not a good user interface to me. I much prefer something like current facebook presentation: Thumbnails / click / enlarged view. That's enough and works well. I know the detail view can be eliminated but I don't see the point of it, except to add comments.... which leads me to my next point
- comments are great but they only work with the detailed view of images, which I prefer not to use… It would be great to be able to comment in the same way it is done on facebook, meaning while seeing the enlarged image in a popup fashion (however you want to call that view). I'm not a facebook fan and I don't think their interface is great, but it is simple, it works and most people know it, that's why I use it as an example here.
- Detailed / popup view images appear too small!! I would like to see images bigger!! like in facebook for instance or like with many other joomla plugins (much simpler ones too) like Simple Image Gallery or Sigplus: images take up the whole browser real estate and this is what I (and most people I asked) like!
- no slideshow mode within the popup… again it is possible with Sigplu for instance and I love it!! The problem of this type of plugins is that they do not allow easily to build gallerys with different categories, but rather just allow to build on the spot display of a bunch of images, otherwise I would definitely use those much simpler plugins, that give me exactly the type of display I like!
- the popup view via default options only allows to display the number of images according to the quantity of thumbnails displayed on my page and not all images in a category: not what I want!!
- I was hoping for the additional plugins to get the display I wanted but then again the popup images appear too small to me and there is absolutely no customization possible for those plugins!! The only good thing is that the interface is a bit better and that they can display all images of a category instead of just the ones that appear on the current category page like described above (say 12 out of 30)
so to sum up, joomgallery could be a great plugin if:
- popup view could be tweaked into something that looks like Simple Image Gallery of even better Sigplus that can do popup slideshows on all images in a "category", with Bigger images and redimensioning images on the fly.
that's how simple this is but unfortunately without that I prefer to use those other simpler plugins to display my images on my website
I sincerely hope that the development team can work on offering these options I mentionned (bigger images, popup slideshow and if possible comments on popup view) because I feel it could really make joomgallery a top notch component for joomla while now I feel it's good but has too many restrictions for me to be really happy with
If any developper reads this message, I'd be glad to discuss more with them should they want to understand better what I meant.
Easy to set up!
Easy to configure!
Lots of important features (i.e. disable image downloads, disable right clicks on images, etc.)
The "watermark" - Only because I like the ability to adjust size, color, opacity, etc. without having to create a new watermark to replace it.
Not only is it capable of integrating with all the best tools of the trade but it is easy to manage galleries in modules and content.
It is ideal for the beginner and complex enough for fine tuned manipulation. It comes complete with everything you need and the fine developers that created JoomGallery have also gone above and beyond and created plugins, modules and languages in abundance.
Thank you so much. I Love it and will continue to use it for a very long time to come. After using Phoca Gallery for so long, WISHING for better, this was great to find. You have completed my Gallery Wishlist!!!
It also comes with many great Modules and Plugins to further enhance the experience on your Joomla site!
It pretty much has everything we needed and worked perfectly right out the box! We love it!!
The batch upload feature is worth its weight in gold and allows you to assign your photos to a category quickly and easily.
I had a slight issue with the sort order of categories and sub-categories but after a post in the developers forum, I had a very quick solution: the JoomGallery Treeview Module.
I tried several other photo gallery extensions before I found this one. The others were either too complicated or had non user-friendly documentation and/or interfaces. If other developers followed the example set by this developer, Joomla extensions would be so much easier.
THANK YOU JoomGallery!
I just moved all my sites from Phocagallery to Joomgallery. My administrators find the backend way more intuitive and the like the frontend better.
The upload options are fantastic!
I totally adopted this extension.
Due to my host's PHP version I had trouble installing the component through the back end upload and install. Happily, I found the solution to this problem in their forums and was able to install it through the directory path. Fast and easy!
I like the user interface, clean look, and all the options to display or not display options!
I am really impressed and highly recommend this component, modules and the plug-ins.
Thank you for your hard work.
Since JPhoto charge £20 for their rubbish these guys could easily charge since their component a) works, b)has some advanced functionality like the ability to recreate all your thumbnails when you change your settings and lastly the support is excellent.
I wrote and resolved my issue within the hour- very good indeed.
The only reason I give it 4 stars rather than 5 is that it doesn't look very nice- and it is a gallery after all- but at least the output is modern and easily stylable.
Good work, and amazing for free.
The component is well written, so it was easy to implement native JComment support in this component. Right now I don't need the module anymore.
I tried phoca and I have to say, it felt a bit 'hard' compared to this component. The Zip-upload is a nice feature that's missing in a lot of other apps.
The code is inspiring to see... well written, well thought out. Just what we needed: the component currently suits my every need.
It does take some tweaking to get the layout right, but it has the options to make it all work, with good information provided, and loads of features.
The key for me was the front end ability to allow a person to upload to a gallery of their own without special permissions! Or to FTP the files!
Quite clearly one of the best gallery solutions for Joomla on the planet.
Well done for the design and thought that went into it!
If you are looking for a great gallery - this is the one for you!