The gallery itself is very flexible and easily customizable and offers a great alternative to flash-based solutions.
* Joomla 3+ overlay bug fixed
* Joomla 3.0 bug fixed
* Joomla 3.0 support
* jQuery for joomla 3
* Now support transparent background for PNG
* Changed file : class.spThumbnail.php
Update V 2.3
* Added Folder tree, more easy to set gallery path now.
* Added fade option
* Changed files : default.php, helper.php, mod_simple_gallery.php
This module did the job, ultimately, but it needed some tweaking.
The problem is that if you deselect "maintain aspect ratio", (say you want a square thumbnail for all images), instead of cropping them, it creates squished thumbnails.
Luckily, it also creates a permanent thumbnails subfolder in the image gallery folder. So I worked around it by replacing its thumbnails with ones I cropped to square myself.
It worked for a single gallery but I wouldn't want to have to do it on a mass scale. For that, I give 3 stars only.
Firstly, it does what it says it does, and does it elegantly. Very impressed with the simplicity and setup.
It could use the following IMO:
• Auto Linking to Sub Folders (so that under one user name, they might have 2 folders under their username, and when they go to the root folder gallery, they can see a link to the sub folders.
• Better handling of thumbs. It would be good to see them keep dimensions by setting a MAXIMUM height and width, rather than setting it to one specific size. This would allow for a more dynamic page, and not distort all the images on the page, if you have different dimensions then it will go by the width you set.
• An option on layout too would be good - to have the ability to set a width, and maybe instead of point 2 above; this option wold allow us to set the width to 600, set the thumbnail to 180, and we would see it automatically make 3 columns of thumbnails.
Don't get me wrong, I like it - I just would love to see it a little better!
Highly recommended for all users.
Thumbnail option will be add in the next version.