- This extension requires registration to download.
- Ability to sell photos directly from the gallery via PayPal
- Ability to translate title/description of categories/images directly from a component "Good-bye Joomfish, hello native language translator!"
- Unlimited categories/subcategories
- Joomla! ACL support
- Members categories (users can create their own categories in front-end)
- Custom color management
- Auto meta generator
- Jomsocial Integration
- Jomsocial avatar support
- Community builder avatar support
- Kunena avatar support
- Gravatar support
- EXIF support
- IPTC/XMP support
- SEF URL's Advanced (Native)
- Social Bookmarking
- Block by IP
- Rating by IP
- Organization of competitions
- Email notifications
- Recommendation to email
- Search by image author, name and description
- Image downloads (Original and different resolutions)
- User front-end uploads
- Multiple front-end uploads
- Multiple back-end uploads
- Chunked uploads front-end / back-end
- Back-end batch FTP import
- Multilingual support and more...
I installed the component and it worked fine. Installation was easy and took few minutes to go throug set up.
When it came to the point of testing selling pictures using paypal-sandbox i could not get it to work and used the thicket system. Exchange was friendly and professional and the problem solved.
It does what it says and i found nothing to give me any doubts that it is worth the price.
For those who do not agree that support ends after 30 days ... just try to find a coder who supports you over 30 days for only 20 bugs ... you wount find !!
The product I purchased is an ALPHA release at best. It has ENORMOUS overhead causing SLOW page loads and it creates TONS of graphic cache eating up the server space by the second.
I would NOT recommend this product to anyone. I feel RIPED OFF and considering the amount of time I spent debugging it I would EXPECT at least a FREE upgrade. I WILL NOT pay for another 30 day membership since I feel that the product I purchased is not release worthy and the developer should not have released it PREMATURELY. Stay away, look for others, this one is a DUD!
The 'Lack of Documentation' isn't quite what most think. Everything a user needs is there - just watch the video tutorials and pay close attention. Most of us expect something detailed in our native language and, certainly, you won't find that here. But what is there actually does explain how to get results.
I'm happy with it and have found nothing to give me any doubts that it is worth the price he asks.
Unfortunately in the description it's not clear that different resolutions are only avaiable for free downloads. It doesn't make much sense because selling pics with different resolutions have usually different prices.
Very simple to use, social bookmarking and organization of competitions are fine.
A good extension with an intuitive backend, very good extension for joomla new users, but not useful for selling images. I really hope that the developer will take a look into the "download/different resolutions/different prices" function!!
and i had errors so i contact Andrew Datso.
He helpt me very fast and very good. I am happy. And for the people who are complaining about the 21,- euro. Thats just sad. if you count the time between building yourself and buying this it is nothing. Everybody needs money and everybody does it in is own way. Don't like it than don't buy it :-)
2) It doesn't integrate with Joomla 2.5 permission system
3) The use of a dropdown instead of buttons in the front-end is not user friendly (and force to not hide that dropdown)
I suggest to not buy it for 21,15€ (20€ plus paypal fee that is charged to buyer), instead make a donation to better free alternatives, like PhocaGallery. Also there is no refound policy.
Last thing it lacks a support forum, you can only ask support request, so you cannot know if others have had your same problems.
Thank you for a review, Luke.
1. Manually (copy/paste) this is possible.
2. For the backend, I suppose. Because a component still operates on a non-mvc structure, but I did it for you individually and judging by your answer at the support center, you were very satisfied, and there is a contradiction. Strange...
3. A component has parameters for each option in the gallery, and you can disable the DropDown Menu with Options, if necessary.
"... Also there is no refound policy" -> Refund Policy: http://www.datso.fr/en/refund-policy.html
Forum does not exist, for security reasons.
Those complain is either related to some wish features which is already stated by the author clearly, is not yet included in author webpage. If Author stated clearly before, the potential customer can simply do their "homework" whether this extension suit them or not. the author should not being complained.
Or, more often, other user complain about extension assistance only be given after subscription.
I bought this software and initially just purchase one month subscription. Instead of searching solution forum for days (which I think many user experiences a lot from other commerical extension), I can get the exact answers within one working day, together with enough illustration of graphics aids. You can move on and get your web done quickly.
Guys, it is a very fair deal. Why you use Joomla, it is because you want to set up your website fast.
Is 20 Euro really a big deal to you? Guys, Your time is even more valuable and if you finally find an extension like Datso Gallery and you find it suits your page. Make the subscription now, the author is a man who you can trust on and you will get what you planned to have.
Tickets system available to holders of active subscriptions only. It's noted in the subscription and when you pay for it, so agree with it. If your subscription expired, but you need more help, renew it and you will get the necessary assistance again.
The backend has a nice Joomla looking layout so you won't have to spend much time trying to understand a new component. The settings are well laid out and easy to understand.
The front end is very nicely laid out. It's really nice to finally have a nice non joomla looking photo gallery. The uploader also looks very nice and works extremely well. Very nice commenting system built in which sends emails to user when comments are made.
The support I have received has been excellent. I had some custom work done at a very reasonable price.
There are a few things which I feel could be better. It has a basic tagging system which is not connected to search. A lot of time goes into tagging pics. It would be a good idea to be able to search for those tags.
Options for diffent pops up like high slide, etc...
Drag and drop picture ordering on the front end would be helpful.
All in all I found this to be a very nice gallery and it keeps getting better the more I play with it.
The component is quite complete. Modules are fair enough. I miss translations, however I bought it knowing that. Then, why I'm dissapointed?:
I have installed in three different hostings and uplolading files DOES NOT work at all in any of them. I have to use the FTP way, and also my customers. That is a nasty way to do it. The error message is in all of them the same: Error: Invalid file extension: undefined. However the extension is properly defined. In fact, the uploading system works for some days, and, suddenly... bye, bye.
Other options are good. Modules are ok. Integration with social networks also fine. But, what about upload images, the main feature expected to work properly? Finally, there is not a forum where search answers for anything. Support is under poor level.
I just checked availability of tickets containing Invalid file extension from January 2011 to present day. There are no results, even similar. This means that you never reported this issue via support center. Report issues at www.datso.fr and you will get the necessary assistance.
PRO: Great and nice looking component, with lot of possibilities
CONS: No discount on renewal for one month subscription
Datso is by far the best gallery component I ever had, and this is not an exaggeration. I bought the premium account for one month, and I honestly felt bad after that looking at the amount of work the publisher has put on this excellent component. I thought that 20 Euros are really nothing if you look at what you get. This is the kind of work where you feel that the publisher really deserves to get rewarded with more money for his work.
1) Datso gallery is packed with features and options that let you do just about anything. The description list on this page is exactly what you get.
2) Yes you have to «play» a bit to discover all what you can do as you have so many options. But to me, that’s a great advantage to have all this possibilities. Although I’m more a designer than a Joomla pro, I did not encounter any problem. Everything is clear and to answer some comments here, I personally didn’t need any extra documentation.
3) As I mentioned before, being a designer made me appreciate even more the quality of this component. Let me just say that this is the first time I did not have to do any change on the CSS files. Everything to me was just perfect. Clean and neat. What a change!
Mr Datso, congratulations and keep up your excellent work! Some of us really appreciate your efforts.
2. Do you expect that a paid component should work well out of the box?
3. Do you like to start working productively with a component just after installing it?
4. Do you like well documented software?
5. Do you like self-explanatory button labels, settings and hints in good english language quality?
6. Do you want to sell different resolutions and sizes of a picture and not only the original file size?
7. Do you expect 1 full month support when you buy a subscription for 1 month?
8. Do you like to see full functionality before purchasing a product?
9. Do you like to test a component with its settings, parameters and functions before buying it?
10. Do you like user forum where you can find answers and help?
If you say YES to any of these questions above, do not buy this product.
I installed DatsoGallery on two different servers of two different hosting providers in Switzerland and Germany, one with cPanel, one with Confixx. In both cases there was only a plain fresh standard version of joomla! installed plus one login module (rizlogin), I used only the joomla! standard templates. In both cases I experienced exactly the same issues and troubles.
- At first you have to buy a subscription (1 month at least) and pay extra fee for payment system. So I had to pay in the end 21,07 for a one month subscription of 20.00.
- The component did not work after installing. It was not possible to upload any picture. The support said it was because of a jQuery conflict between DatsoGallery and rizlogin. Would be nice if there were any FAQ or knowledge base for cases like that. That could have saved many hours or even days of standstill and waiting.
- There is no knowledge base
- There is no documentation
- The FAQ section is poor (only 3 questions and all of them are about paying and downloading products)
- The Tooltipps were not displayed correctly on Joomla! standard template JA_Purity. They did not work at all.
- Also the modules DG Ultimate Module and DG Slideshow did not work well: some parameters did not behave as expected (for example the "count" parameter): the number of displayed images did not match the number entered in "count", the slideshow started at unexpected position (7 of 16 ... though it contained only 10 pictures!) and displayed wrong numbers.
- You must contact support via ticketsystem (no eMail support)
- After writing a support ticket a lot of patience and trust is required: you must grant the developer Andrey Gatso admin access to your joomla site as well as ftp access to your server so that he can fix everything
- All in all it took 14 days and lots of hours of testing, reporting issues and waiting for answers and bugfixing until all worked and ran the way it should be. Still I miss some important things:
- The english language version is poor and in some cases misleading or even wrong. So you have to ask the support for each "how to do" and every unclear word. Example: the button next to the dropdown selection menu of the resolutions says "Download original image without watermark" but this is not the real function of that button! In reality this button simply lets you download the image in the selected size (not always original size and not always without watermark, that depends on settings!)
- You cannot protect small or medium images neither watermark them, because the developer thinks that they "have no value".
- The online demonstration Gallery shows online functionality of free downloads. Do not make the mistake to believe that you will meet the same functionality when you want to sell your pictures!
- If you provide FREE downloads of your images, the user can select the size of the downloaded picture (6 hard coded sizes are available). But if you want to SELL your images, nobody can select size anymore. The moment you enter a price for a picture, the dropdown selection list for size disappears and only one button appears. The Tooltipp starts with the word "This image is paid ..." which is obviously wrong because nobody did pay anything at that moment so far. This is the first irritating issue of the shop function. I asked the developer which size the paid downlad will be. Answer: "The originals, I think."
- Browsing/navigating through the gallery is somewhat long-winded, especially in large galleries with many categories and subcategories and cannot be customized.
- The last four facts above are not mentioned anywhere in the demo gallery, nor can they be seen or testet anywhere before purchasing. You learn them only after purchasing (or in this review).
- After the developer "fixed" some issues on my site, he was the "owner" of all my recent picture categories. I asked him how to change the owner of a category so that I can get my categories back. The answer: "Do not complicate it, just remove all images and categories, after create categories from your name and re-upload images."
- I wanted to know how he fixed some of the issues. The answer: "You do not need to know these details."
- The support did not answer all my questions.
- Some answers of the support are very hard to understand and on the other side I often had the impression that he did not understand me. It seems to me like the support does not really know english. That makes communication hard and time expensive.
- After confrontating the developer with his deficits and my discontent, he refused to support me anymore and tried to force me to never use his products ever again. I paid for 1 month support but he canceled that after 2 weeks, did refund my money, deleted my account and blocked my IP. I did not ask for money back, he just kicked me out instead of providing good support and trying to understand and satisfy his customer. That is worst business practice.
Thanks for the "excellent" review and evaluation, but I sincerely hope that you'll find in the ranks of Joomla Extensions a gallery that will be relevant to the functional of shutterstok or istockphoto you are strongly demanded from me after you made the payment for the subscription. All my products are released "AS IS" and requiring that you think the "missing" functionality, I repeat, it is absolutely unacceptable and immoral.
It's like you bought the MacBook, and the next day return to the seller with the requirements to exchange MacBook to MacBook Pro for the same price, because you think that the MacBook is incomplete.
I have a refutation for almost everything that you said here, but I have not enough time to fighting with you.
And finally, my last name is Datso.
All the best.
I'm sorry, did you use email to get support? If so, it is normal that you get no response because support via email rigidly ignored. If you are a customer, please use the Support Center on our website and you will get answer quickly. Thank you.
Installation went relatively smoothly, and support was good to help resolve issues.
- Best feature set of any gallery extension I've seen
- Looks fantastic out-of-the-box
- Good support
- Nice array of modules offered with gallery extension
- Not a very clear separation of structure and code on some pages
- Uses Shadowbox for image pop-ups: Shadowbox is configurable, but only in a limited way. Making structural changes was a huge pain!
- Default gallery user menu is not obvious and needs customization
- Why is the search box so small?!