I reckon I got is working initially in about 15 mins or less by hooking into an existing KML file on the web. I then built my own KML file and hooked this in very quickly.
I did have an issue with my own KML file but I basically didn't read Mike's documentation, much to the chagrin of my wife, the Documentation Manager for a software company :) -- the KML file MUST BE in a location that is accessible by Google. This is a Google thing and not a Mike thing, and once I figured this out we were up and running!
Great flexibility in all the parameters between global params at the plug-in level and local param at the instance level.
They really should have a rating higher than "Excellent!" just for this plug-in.